Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once holydragon's Avatar

Default Re: How to increase Vertical jump.

Quote Originally Posted by mika
    so much for quads, glutes and hamstrings
    Review my previous post. All muscle contribute to a vertical jump; however, some muscles have a much more significant piece of the pie. You're on target with the glutes too. Hamstrings? I was under the impression that they the antagonist muscle for your Quads. You don't necessary need hamstring strength as much as you need flexibility. Some would argue that you can't get the flexibility without increasing the strength. They can restrict your dynamic range IF they are limited in flexibility. Quads are critical too but from my experience they always receive a lot of attention and the calves are neglected. That is why I suggest that it's all about the calves. I don't want to make this more confusing that it really is.

Regards

WilliamPhiladelphiaSmith
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

WTF!? Calves the most important muscle for increasing Vertical Jump. They're significant in the game if you want to be on your tippy-toes and just jump lightly to snatch rebounds, catch passes, so trhe guy who mentioned this was correct.

Nevertheless, the thighs overall generate the most power and add the explosiveness for they stretch, and then contract to the strongest degree when doing a full-out vertical motion.

Hip and knee extension provide the lift as well, so power cleans/snatches and squats respectively are the ideal weight training for this exercise.

Finally, plyometrics focus on maxing out the power (aka force/strength over speed) to promote good form, enhance power output etc...

Why do you think people crouch down as low as possible when they want to fly?

Just search this stuff on Google.

The abs need to be lean, strong and developed to be able to transfer the power from the lower body to the upper.

Deltoids are next (arm swing)

Pecs/tris/bis/traps aren't necessary, but then again you want to develop those for strength.

Dunking on everybody in the park mika's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holydragon
    Dude, vertical jumps are all about calves. So you need to hit up a lot of calf raises.
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly baggett
    I heard that it was not good to squat because there is deceleration that occurs at the top of the squat that doesn't occur with the vertical jump?
    Keep in mind when using exercises like the squat we're not trying to duplicate the exact execution of the vertical jump, we're just trying to strengthen the muscles involved. That's also why a deeper squat is better than a quarter or half squat. It strengthens more muscles. Besides that, by that line of logic we shouldn't walk either since there is deceleration that occurs with each stride. The body and brain are smart enough to differentiate various movements.
    What about deadlifts - Are they good exercises?
    Yes, the deadlift is an excellent exercise. My only hesitation in ranking it equal to the squat is the fact that it is possible to deadlift a significant amount of weight without using the lower body at all. A proper deadlift is an excellent exercise.
    How important are the calves for jumping?
    Not very important. Try this: Stand on a stair step and let your ankles hang down. Without bending your knees try to hop up onto the next step. Did you make it? Probably not. That's because the calves don't contribute much to the jump. Your butt and thighs are what give you the power. The calves simply help transferring that power into the ground.
    Having said that, many people do have a problem with what appears to be weak calves because when they move they struggle to stay in optimal power position - They move back on their heels and have a hard time staying up on the balls of their feet. Their problem isn't really weak calves it's lack of coordination on the feet. Exercises designed to improve movement efficiency will improve this.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/...aljumpfaq.html

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by dwight-hk
    I'm 16, 172lb, 6'1". and i cant even grab the rim. the season is over, and what can i do to increase my vertical jump? (been to the gym squatting lately) Help is appreciated
    Only program Ive heard of is the jump manual only one Ive read good reviews on so far

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamPhiladelphiaSmith
    WTF!? Calves the most important muscle for increasing Vertical Jump. They're significant in the game if you want to be on your tippy-toes and just jump lightly to snatch rebounds, catch passes, so trhe guy who mentioned this was correct.

Nevertheless, the thighs overall generate the most power and add the explosiveness for they stretch, and then contract to the strongest degree when doing a full-out vertical motion.

Hip and knee extension provide the lift as well, so power cleans/snatches and squats respectively are the ideal weight training for this exercise.

Finally, plyometrics focus on maxing out the power (aka force/strength over speed) to promote good form, enhance power output etc...

Why do you think people crouch down as low as possible when they want to fly?

Just search this stuff on Google.

The abs need to be lean, strong and developed to be able to transfer the power from the lower body to the upper.

Deltoids are next (arm swing)

Pecs/tris/bis/traps aren't necessary, but then again you want to develop those for strength.
    great post. plyos are the best way to go about upping your vert, you just need to find a good program.

i remember air alert used to have a good free program out there, and you don't need alotta weight or whatever. all you really need is a strong chair.

just find a good plyometric program and you are on your way. don't half ass the program though, they will really work given the time and energy put in.

Pylometrics is the best way.

Sorry but thats pathetic 6"1 172, When I was 15 I was 5"7 210 and I could get rim (I had a 65% to 35% fat muscle ratio) and I could slap the backboard. Which I guess is the same as you. According to your situation if I would have been 6"1 172 I would have been dunking easily another 7-9" (including wingpan) and 40 pounds would have made the difference for me I would have had a 37" vertical and be in division 2 basketball right now.

You need strength and plyometrics. Plyometrics develops strength into explosiveness, but you need the strength in the first place or you aren't going to have anything to develop.

+1 to the recommendation for the jump manual. It's valuable for clearing up a lot of the myths about jumping and getting you learning how to jump higher immediately. You can check out a jump manual review here if you'd like.

And to the guy above me: dude you had some serious hops for being 5'7, 210, especially at 15. That's really impressive. It's too bad you didn't get the extra height, you'd have been a monster!

Saw a basketball once

I am trying to increase my vert as well, im 6'5 225 and barely getting rim, i have tried looking up some plyometric exercises but i dont know which are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by celticsfan94
    I am trying to increase my vert as well, im 6'5 225 and barely getting rim, i have tried looking up some plyometric exercises but i dont know which are the best.
    It can be confusing at first. You should grab a jump program, it'll lay it out nice and simple for you and get you on your way fast.

Go with either the Jump Manual or the Vertical Jump Bible, both are solid and will get you on your way quick.

High School Starter

anyone know of any exercises and whatnot to do that could increase the vertical jump without equipment?(weights and such).

i just started looking into this stuff again, today i started doing one leg squats, 6 reps in sets of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by mcrd101
    anyone know of any exercises and whatnot to do that could increase the vertical jump without equipment?(weights and such).

i just started looking into this stuff again, today i started doing one leg squats, 6 reps in sets of 3.
    Try yoga....hot yoga to be specific. I just started doing it a few days ago with my girl and it's amazing. It's stretching and balancing poses in a room that is 100-115 degrees F. The class I did incorporated push ups, crunches, and was fairly fast paced. Bottom line is...it works. ALL of my muscles and tendons were completely stretched out and relaxed afterwards. I did it at noon and played 2 hours of full court pick up basketball about 3 hours after yoga. Not only did I feel extremely loose and relaxed, but I had an extra bounce in my step. I've always been able to dunk fairly easy, but lately have slowed down and was beginning to think that at age 24 my athleticism had left me. Nope. I was in the gym later that day and the next going crazy. My vertical leap literally increased by about 3 inches by doing that class.

Obviously how much you increase your vert by is going to depend on how active you are and your genes, but it's worth a shot. Trust me. FWIW, I'm 6'1 170 so I'm not big at all.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    Try yoga....hot yoga to be specific. I just started doing it a few days ago with my girl and it's amazing. It's stretching and balancing poses in a room that is 100-115 degrees F. The class I did incorporated push ups, crunches, and was fairly fast paced. Bottom line is...it works. ALL of my muscles and tendons were completely stretched out and relaxed afterwards. I did it at noon and played 2 hours of full court pick up basketball about 3 hours after yoga. Not only did I feel extremely loose and relaxed, but I had an extra bounce in my step. I've always been able to dunk fairly easy, but lately have slowed down and was beginning to think that at age 24 my athleticism had left me. Nope. I was in the gym later that day and the next going crazy. My vertical leap literally increased by about 3 inches by doing that class.

Obviously how much you increase your vert by is going to depend on how active you are and your genes, but it's worth a shot. Trust me. FWIW, I'm 6'1 170 so I'm not big at all.
    how much did the class cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by mcrd101
    how much did the class cost you?
    $10 bucks for 10 classes. After that, I believe it's 88 bucks a month. It's worth it though. I'm about to switch to light weight-lifting/hot yoga/basketball instead of weight lifting/basketball.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    $10 bucks for 10 classes. After that, I believe it's 88 bucks a month. It's worth it though. I'm about to switch to light weight-lifting/hot yoga/basketball instead of weight lifting/basketball.
    is that just offered from a local place near you or some nationwide fitness company? id deff. do the $10 for 10 deal, wont do the 88 for a month though. Im a broke college student who really only wants to get better at basketball for the fun of it, not like im playing for a team or any of that.

also, not to sound lazy but do u think just one legged squats/pistols would be enough to get me dunking? I do 3 sets of 6 daily(by six its more like 12, 6 with each leg). I mean, I'm not severely lacking in the hops department, as of now my fingers are only 1-3 inches away from touching rim.