Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star MrEncinas's Avatar

Default Re: Why didn't the Suns pursue a Marion/Banks for JO Deal?

How many SFs would Pacers have then?

Default Re: Shaq Press Conference

Cant wait. I skipped school to watch it.

Default Why the Shaq trade will work

Just some of my thoughts.

The Suns this year have had an issue with rebounding, a really bad one. Phoenix has never been a great rebounding team, but this year, they are amazingly horrible at it. If you look back a few years ago, when they had guys like Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson.....they were BIG. They had guys that could take up space all over the floor. Joe Johnson was 6-8, Marion was 6-7, Richardson was 6-6, Hunter was 7 feet, Amare was 6-10, Nash was the smallest guy on the floor.

Now this team has gotten progressively smaller and smaller and what adding Shaq does is help fill up space down low. If Shaq doesn't get a rebound, he makes it easier for one of his teammates to get it. Because of this, the Suns will be able to get out on the break more. Guys like Barbosa and Nash don't have to hang back and worry about rebounding, which has been killing them this year. If Shaq can rebound and throw the outlet pass, then Phoenix doesn't need more than 2 or 3 guys going down the floor. They've proven that they score in a 5 or less seconds, so mostly they just need someone to secure the outlet. They have not had that person, but if healthy, O'Neal will play a huge role in that regard.

All of the sudden, the entire lineup gets bigger. You go from a lanky 6-10 center to a monster 7 footer. You go from a 6-7 power forward to the aforementioned 6-10 guy. You still stay with Grant Hill and Diaw at small forward and Bell and Nash at the guard positions but your frontcourt has gained some serious mass. I think this will be a key for the Suns, because all they really need from Shaq is solid defense, filling up space, and rebounding.

Defending the two-man game with Nash is going to be a nightmare. If you trap Nash, he kicks it out to Amare who will have space to score because teams won't leave Shaq alone If you lockdown on Amare and Nash, then Shaq will be left to wreak havoc. This will cause matchup nightmare's for several teams.

I agree that this is a boom or bust move, it all hinges on Shaq's health, but if healthy, I think this will be a huge step-up for the Suns, as they were going nowhere fast with Marion, and with his contract being up at the end of the year, they risked him opting out, and leaving them with nothing.
    Last edited by PejaNowitzki; 02-07-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Default Re: Why didn't the Suns pursue a Marion/Banks for JO Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by MrEncinas
    How many SFs would Pacers have then?
    That is a good reason why not. It looks a lot better for Phoenix to me if they get JO (I would play him at C), but Indiana is already very set at SF.

Also, Shaq carries a lot more clout. People still think he might be able to turn it on for 20/10 playoff performances that are just impossible to stop. I, for one, don't think he can.

Default Re: Suns got nothing to lose with this trade

I posted this in a thread that was closed.

Just some of my thoughts.

The Suns this year have had an issue with rebounding, a really bad one. Phoenix has never been a great rebounding team, but this year, they are amazingly horrible at it. If you look back a few years ago, when they had guys like Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson.....they were BIG. They had guys that could take up space all over the floor. Joe Johnson was 6-8, Marion was 6-7, Richardson was 6-6, Hunter was 7 feet, Amare was 6-10, Nash was the smallest guy on the floor.

Now this team has gotten progressively smaller and smaller and what adding Shaq does is help fill up space down low. If Shaq doesn't get a rebound, he makes it easier for one of his teammates to get it. Because of this, the Suns will be able to get out on the break more. Guys like Barbosa and Nash don't have to hang back and worry about rebounding, which has been killing them this year. If Shaq can rebound and throw the outlet pass, then Phoenix doesn't need more than 2 or 3 guys going down the floor. They've proven that they score in a 5 or less seconds, so mostly they just need someone to secure the outlet. They have not had that person, but if healthy, O'Neal will play a huge role in that regard.

All of the sudden, the entire lineup gets bigger. You go from a lanky 6-10 center to a monster 7 footer. You go from a 6-7 power forward to the aforementioned 6-10 guy. You still stay with Grant Hill and Diaw at small forward and Bell and Nash at the guard positions but your frontcourt has gained some serious mass. I think this will be a key for the Suns, because all they really need from Shaq is solid defense, filling up space, and rebounding.

Defending the two-man game with Nash is going to be a nightmare. If you trap Nash, he kicks it out to Amare who will have space to score because teams won't leave Shaq alone If you lockdown on Amare and Nash, then Shaq will be left to wreak havoc. This will cause matchup nightmare's for several teams.

I agree that this is a boom or bust move, it all hinges on Shaq's health, but if healthy, I think this will be a huge step-up for the Suns, as they were going nowhere fast with Marion, and with his contract being up at the end of the year, they risked him opting out, and leaving them with nothing.

Nice touch by the big diesel sportin the snazzy-smooth purple on purple...

Dunking on everybody in the park gabeh1018's Avatar

o man.. hearing him talk never gets old

Certified ISHiot.

come on shaq just admit it we all know you can't wait to play the lakers

In It to Win It

"The Sun will rise in Phoenix."

Default Re: Shaq To Nash: "I Will Not Let You Down"

I have to say - I am extremely interested in how this one turns out.

On the face it it seems like a colossal mistake on PHX's end - but there is still a part of me that can't count out the Diesel.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    I posted this in a thread that was closed.
    Thank you.

LOL....if nothing else, Shaq is good for an entertaining press conference. This guy still has more charisma than probably anyone else in the NBA.

Dunking on everybody in the park gabeh1018's Avatar

haha

i don't see how anyone can hate the guy..

hes got a good heart...

very charitable

and a monotone voice

Retired ISH Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
    Didn't read the OP (capitalization is your friend!)

But...

The Suns weren't going to win with their current style. Nash is 33. Shaq is 35 (36?). Their window is still the same: two years.
    Why did you bother posting here if you don't even know what the thread discussion is about? JACKASS

Quote Originally Posted by gabeh1018
    haha

i don't see how anyone can hate the guy..

hes got a good heart...

very charitable

and a monotone voice
    Its Barry White like monotone that does it for me...