Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1421222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Suns officially get Shaq, Heat get Shawn Marion, Marcus Banks

Default Re: Suns got nothing to lose with this trade

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    That is funny because Steve Kerr was on the radio this morning and said that the Suns medical staff has pretty much cleared Shaq to practice. They said that his injuries are not serious, nor chronic, and with treatment, they can get Shaq up to par quickly.

Then again, what do they know, look how they've done with broken down vets like Grant Hill and Nash, as well Amare after his injury, McDyess after his injuries....and so on. Yep, I guess you are correct.

*The Suns are all behind this move. Amare couldn't hide his enthusiasm enough. Nash was pumped, D'Antoni was the first guy who was all over this move, and the medical staff of the Suns, which has been the league's role model for awhile now, gave Shaq an exuberant two thumbs up.
    Difference between those other guys and Shaq is that they had an injury and came back from it. I think Shaq is just at that point in his career where his body is giving up on him. He's been through a lot. Hes had to carry 310+lb for his whole career and it clearly is taking its toll. I dont think there is any doctor out there who can relly fix this guy. Hes going to be in and out until he retires. He's tired, old, worn down.

Still, i dont blame Suns for taking a chance. Kerr knows there window is closing quickly and its clear with the recent moves in the west, that they were going to strugle against the elite. They are 1st in the west but have one of worst records against teams in the west. We will see how it works out.

Default Re: Shaq Press Conference

BTW Shaq said all the right things. As time goes by, I like this move more and more.

Banned

What has Phoenix won with the high octane offense only?

This is why the trade was made, they want to win now their window is closing with Nash the golden boy.

When has the playoffs been about high octane offense ?

The reg season means nothing. The best defensive teams are the ones that play in the conf finals and win.

Boris Diaw and Grant Hill can take the place of Marion easily.

What has been Phoenix's problem? 4th qtr half court game deep into the playoffs.

Most fans who like exciting ball love phoenix's style of play, but remember that prevails only in the reg season and early rds of the playoffs.

Why do you think G-State can knock off Dallas but then get beatdown ?

You need a half court game with a low post threat at crunch time, hack a shaq will be in full effect but the Suns have enough 3 pt shooters to win it all.

Who's gonna try and drive on shaq and Amare in meaningful games in the paint without risking getting their heads torn off.

Great move Kerr, it's all about getting a chip , not about having a dynasty.

Phoenix always came up empty with no low post defense .

Shaq doesn't have to run up and down.

Did Kareem run up and down with Magic Johnson in his latter yrs?

They either fastbreaked or pulled the ball back out and waited for the big fella.

Cmon fellas know ya history of the game!

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Its official... Shaq to Suns

[QUOTE=Da KO King]Those 1980

NBA sixth man of the year Da KO King's Avatar

OVer 70% of Phoenix's offensive sets work from an open post alignment while the rest is four out and one in stuff. The idea that they won't have to do a overhaul of their schemes is just silly.

Also Kurt Thomas was effective at C for the Suns because he can play facing the basket. Shaq can not do that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    Unless his body has shrunk, he is still a huge space filler and a decent rebounder. His main value will be blocking out guys from getting the offensive rebounds that have killed the Suns this season.
    Body size has nothing to do with rebounding range.

I'm not going to debate your other point because it's ridiculous. I spoke about Shaq's defensive impact yet you bring up what he MIGHT do on offense.

Banned

Default Re: Why didn't the Suns pursue a Marion/Banks for JO Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    It seems they want to win now and let Amare play his natural PF spot.
    But after this season I don't see Shaq being really effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King

OVer 70% of Phoenix's offensive sets work from an open post alignment while the rest is four out and one in stuff. The idea that they won't have to do a overhaul of their schemes is just silly.

Also Kurt Thomas was effective at C for the Suns because he can play facing the basket. Shaq can not do that at all.
    What does facing the basket have to do with his defense??? You make it sound like its impossible for a team to devise plays to take advantage of matchup problems down by the basket, that is absolute nonsense.

Body size has nothing to do with rebounding range.
    But it has a hell a lot to do with taking up space and preventing 2 or 3 guys from crowding into the same area. Just by HIS presence, Shaq makes the Suns a better rebounding team. If you can't see that, then there is nothing else I can say, as this notion is basic common sense.

I'm not going to debate your other point because it's ridiculous. I spoke about Shaq's defensive impact yet you bring up what he MIGHT do on offense.

Because the idea that Shaq isn't going to clog up the middle on defense is absolutely ludicrous. On offense, you might have a point with his effectiveness, but he's still played decently defensively, and one thing you can guarantee is that every center in the NBA won't be having a career game against the Suns each night anymore.

erudite

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Riley's teams have been grinders since LA because they've all featured All-Star centers and had a lot of guys that played good d but weren't so good at scoring. The Knicks with Ewing and the first Heat team featuring Zo and the second one with Shaq (and also Zo).
    Actually Pat Turned the Heat into a slo down team. On talent alone they would be a great fast breaking team..Tim Bug at PG (the engineer of RUN TMC) a very athletic Zo who was quite capable of running in Charlotte with Bogues....then he had filler guys like Askins then Mashburn who is also an up and down player. There were plodders like Marjele but if he wanted to run e could have but the League was different then partly becuz of him and Fratello.

Default Re: Shaq Press Conference

Did he say when he will play his first game?

Default Has anyone heard anything from Marion?

There's been so much focus on the Phoenix/Shaq side of the trade. I'm curious to hear any quotes from Shawn on the deal.

Certified ISHiot.

Default Re: Has anyone heard anything from Marion?

nope, i haven't seen or heard a damn thing from marion.. he must be pissed, seeing as he's been craving more attention for the past 2 years and he finally gets traded into a more important role and no one gives a sh!t

shhhhhhh

What did Magic do you often times mention this?
    The basics of Westhead’s fastbreak were already installed when Riley took over.
    he and the entire team (not just magic, he was just the one who took the teams complaints to buss)
    Paul Westhead was the head coach (for 14 games), he took over the very end of the season for Jack McKinney who had had an bike accident that resulted in a severe head injury..
    that season using Mckinneys showtime style of play the lakers won the championship the following season Westhead wanted to insert a slow tempo, defense first system that the players hated and was completly the opposite of what they had just used... magic went to management told them he thought it wass wrong and they agreed and brought pat riley in...
    as a side note chick hearn had gone to managment before magic had during the summer and told them that he felt his color comentator (riles) should be considered for the job if westhead was replaced... riley has always credited chick with pushing him out of broadcasting and into coaching
    Last edited by gts; 02-07-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KWALI
    Actually Pat Turned the Heat into a slo down team. On talent alone they would be a great fast breaking team..Tim Bug at PG (the engineer of RUN TMC) a very athletic Zo who was quite capable of running in Charlotte with Bogues....then he had filler guys like Askins then Mashburn who is also an up and down player. There were plodders like Marjele but if he wanted to run e could have but the League was different then partly becuz of him and Fratello.
    True, that Heat team had some players they could have run with but Riley probably decided they were better off with a half-court game based on Mourning, and they won enough to justify that thinking.

Know what Im sayin, glad to be a franchise player finnaly, know what Im sayin, shop at roomstore, know what I'm sayin
    I think you get the jest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    nope, i haven't seen or heard a damn thing from marion.. he must be pissed, seeing as he's been craving more attention for the past 2 years and he finally gets traded into a more important role and no one gives a sh!t
    I don't know that he's pissed. The FO said he was okay with going to Miami, so I don't know. I'm just curious to see what he had to say about it all.