Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore Marky418's Avatar

Barkely

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I think they're both a little overrated. Malone is a better defender, but he's an on ball defender. He wasn't a good help defender at all for a PF. And offensively, he's consistent, but he lacked the creativity that most great players had.
    Barkley is an anomaly. He's as difficult a cover as the leagues probably ever seen. Too quick and crafty for PFs, and too strong for SFs. And at times, he was quicker and had more ball skills than even SFs, and could overpower even the best PFs. But defensively, his size was always an issue. He had to go after everything, shots and rebounds, so much, that he was often out of position. It wasn't as much an issue of effort as it's made out to be. At his peak, I'd definitely take him over Malone. But I don't think either of them is as good as Duncan, or even McHale.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    McHale.
    I think Mchale is really overrated and not better than any of those 3, who where legit first options on all their teams. I also think Hakeem was clearly more effective in the offensive post than Mchale.

NBA Superstar

In egard to the recent comments

Duncan>Barkley>Malone>>McHale

Chuckie and Mail are close hence the thread, but if push came to shove I'd take Chuck. They both easily beat McHale who IMO doesnt have the skill set to go it alone like CB did.

Duncan however separates himself from the pack because of the bling and playoff MVPs and first team NBA for his first 8 years. Duncan will be a top ten of all time before it is over.

Duncan's game most resemble's McHales. And my preference for both of them stems from their both being better at defending the rim. Obviously there's a lot of projection with McHale not being a number one option, but none of the other guys would have been either with Bird on their team. And only Duncan has proven that he could win it on his own, so if Mchale were a number one option on a team, he wouldn't have to even win a title to prove he was in the neighborhood of Malone and Barkley. Barkley is clearly the hardest to defend in the group.

Local High School Star Silent Mav's Avatar

A few quotes from Charles himself

"Bird was a better player than me, but I always felt when I was in the game I could do things against him. But McHale? Best damn player I ever played against man-to-man. He gave me fits with those damn long arms and his agility. He could score on me and he could guard me."

"I tried hard to concentrate on defense once, but all I did was hurt myself. I was terrible. But I was as good as Larry. That man couldn't guard a chair. I loved Larry. I made the mistake of going drinking with him one time. He did nothing but drink Budweiser the whole night. Any man who drinks Bud the whole night can drink."

"Why couldn't I play today? All those sorry-asses out there making that kind of money. Who did I have to go against? Michael, Magic, Larry, Karl Malone. I mean, those *****es could play."

Charles was the better offensive player, for he had the greater range, superior ballhandling skills, hit the boards much harder, more difficult to guard (too quick for fours, too strong for threes). While he was disinclined to play defense, generally, he did bring it during the clutch.

Malone's defense is a bit overrated - although he was plenty strong to push any low-post player off the block, he couldn't move laterally. Nor could he jump high enough to contest shots, either. That means if his man was facing the hoop, he always got a clean look. Malone's trait for swiping the ball worked only on those who brought the ball up from the hip, a la David Robinson, but not on the technically superior low post players like Hakeem (always held the ball above his head).

Malone's superior conditioning led to the better career, but Barkley's the superior player.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Mav

"Bird was a better player than me, but I always felt when I was in the game I could do things against him. But McHale? Best damn player I ever played against man-to-man. He gave me fits with those damn long arms and his agility. He could score on me and he could guard me."

"I tried hard to concentrate on defense once, but all I did was hurt myself. I was terrible. But I was as good as Larry. That man couldn't guard a chair. I loved Larry. I made the mistake of going drinking with him one time. He did nothing but drink Budweiser the whole night. Any man who drinks Bud the whole night can drink."

"Why couldn't I play today? All those sorry-asses out there making that kind of money. Who did I have to go against? Michael, Magic, Larry, Karl Malone. I mean, those *****es could play."
    Barkley also said Andrew Toney was the best player he's ever seen.

Izzo, I never said that Charles' quotes were the gospel truth. I remembered his quote about McHale and went to find it. Found these and thought they were amusing.

NBA Superstar

Izzo, I never said that Charles' quotes were the gospel truth. I remembered his quote about McHale and went to find it. Found these and thought they were amusing.
    I did enjoy them, I just cant put Mchale ahead of CB or Malone

I can't put him ahead of Chuck. As far as Malone, depends on the day. I go back and forth on that one.

I know I'm in limited company with my opinion of McHale, and that's completely understandable. It's just something I've believed for a long time. And I don't put much weight into any of those kinds of quotes that players make. But it's always fun to read Barkley's ramblings, and Andrew Toney was a monster.

NBA sixth man of the year

Chuck Barkley was better.

erudite

It sounds funny but its true......Barkley becuz of his quickness to spots and off the floor in Philly tried to be a good help defender and a better one on one defender.....but he was too aggressive...he'd go for too many shots like Thorpe said......the more you leave you feet especially wildy the greater chance of getter hurt......Karl Malone I don't think i've seen him block more than 7 shots in 15 years......early in his career he'd throw people but never like CHUCK.

Chuck is simply more talented.......Karl Malone had a great gym regimen...so what....If you really think that's why he had more longevity your a simpleton........his game and its lack of creativity.....his PG....who set him up....his 100% PF role...meaning he was always PF...he never played outside that role...whereas Bark's played all over the court......That is the source of Karls Longevity.

McHale was very talented but fragile ....he was very good at covering Barkley becuz he knew how to recover and where Barkley would bring up teh ball and he used his long arms eventhough he was outmuscled...and less athletic......He was way more of a post technition than Barkley but his veratility was not at the same level....Interms of Talent. I would say its Barkley..TD.Mchale..Malone...interms of guys who brought it over a period time greater than 6 Seasons......However the most talented PF's all time are guys like DC and LJ Kemp...who at their peak were unbeliveable talented in every aspect post to the three to running an offense from the point(DC did this better than Barkley not as a PG but the position on the floor called the point)