Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

wasn't charles like the original...POWER forward (emphasis on power)...

I rule the local playground

However the most talented PF's all time are guys like DC and LJ Kemp...who at their peak were unbeliveable talented in every aspect post to the three to running an offense from the point(DC did this better than Barkley not as a PG but the position on the floor called the point)
    Nah, Barkley is the most talented power forward of all time.....to me it's not that close. Nobody that's every played that position could do absolutely everything as well as Charles did. Chuck had incredible athleticism for his size, hops and great speed, great handles, could shoot it, awesome post player, passed well, and is one of the best power forward rebounders ever. The other guys had more athletic LOOKING bodies but none had that much more than Charles anyway.

I took the stats of the Barkley vs Malone matchups since 1988. Here's what I got (first Charles, second Karl. The parenthesis indicates the game winner):

REG.SEASON

43/14/5--17/7/1 (B)
    23/13/5--12/6/3 (B)
    24/9/4--44/13/1 (B)
    24/8/2--32/13/5 (M)
    16/8/5--29/10/3 (B)
    28/10/2--34/8/5 (M)
    35/10/1--24/12/6 (M)
    14/6/5--35/12/2 (M)
    25/14/7--30/9/1 (M)
    23/11/0--28/10/6 (M)
    25/14/5--32/9/4 (B)
    29/11/5--24/12/2 (B)
    21/7/6--22/10/6 (B)
    25/12/2--13/6/1 (B)
    23/11/8--15/6/3 (B)
    21/4/3--18/7/1 (M)
    19/11/2--30/6/0 (M)
    10/6/5--30/17/2 (B)
    35/9/2--30/9/3 (B)
    18/6/2--26/16/2 (M)
    16/9/3--25/12/4 (M)
    17/6/4--28/9/3 (M)
    15/11/4--17/7/2 (B)
    12/7/3--15/10/0 (M)
    9/20/4--16/14/4 (B)
    8/18/2--32/11/5 (B)
    10/11/8--27/17/6 (M)
    10/9/2--28/13/5 (M)
    11/7/3--20/10/6 (M)
    10/6/3--21/9/1 (M)
    10/11/3--29/21/6 (M)
    9/11/1--16/7/4 (M)
    6/11/3--16/10/2 (M)
    10/11/1--25/13/5 (M)
    8/5/6--21/8/5 (M)

Barkley: 18.3 ppg, 9.9 rpg (14 wins)
    Malone: 24.6 ppg, 10.5 rpg (21 wins)

PLAYOFFS

12/8/4--21/13/2 (M)
    16/12/2--24/15/1 (M)
    19/16/4--21/6/2 (B)
    20/16/3--22/10/5 (B)
    10/7/5--29/14/4 (M)
    20/7/5--24/11/5 (M)
    12/6/2--25/11/1 (B)
    8/7/1--29/10/1 (M)
    8/6/1--19/14/1 (B)
    8/2/0--29/13/0 (M)

erudite

Default Umm not athleticism

Quote Originally Posted by dgbigballer9329
    Nah, Barkley is the most talented power forward of all time.....to me it's not that close. Nobody that's every played that position could do absolutely everything as well as Charles did. Chuck had incredible athleticism for his size, hops and great speed, great handles, could shoot it, awesome post player, passed well, and is one of the best power forward rebounders ever. The other guys had more athletic LOOKING bodies but none had that much more than Charles anyway.
    DC did everything was well as Barkley and was a better jump shooter off the dribble......LJ was every bit as adepth with the ball as Barkley he was basically a Barkley clone except he wasn't as strong actually Chris Webber is another guy that did it all....Kemp was the only guy I can think of as a better athlete...I was talking about skills not athletcism.

**** even AW handles better than Barkley what Barkley did have has been understated...EXPLOSIVENESS.he wasn't really relying on a mismatch people are saying he was too quick for Bigs and too strong for Swings. He was both faster and stronger than anyone that would attempt to cover him 90 percent of the time...he could still use speed on SF's.....and he could use power on power guys.....he could abuse guys like Horace Grant...and PIPPEN at their own strengths....Only KARL MALONE could PUNISH him in the post power wise.

interms of explosiveness he was really close to NIQUES and MJ's I haven't see anyone as all-around explosive as him interms of a burst of speed or strength on demand.

Facts Are Misleading

Default ...

Pimre Barkley was a better player. Overall, however... I'll take Malone and his longevity.

I rule the local playground

DC did everything was well as Barkley and was a better jump shooter off the dribble......LJ was every bit as adepth with the ball as Barkley he was basically a Barkley clone except he wasn't as strong actually Chris Webber is another guy that did it all....Kemp was the only guy I can think of as a better athlete...I was talking about skills not athletcism.

**** even AW handles better than Barkley what Barkley did have has been understated...EXPLOSIVENESS.he wasn't really relying on a mismatch people are saying he was too quick for Bigs and too strong for Swings. He was both faster and stronger than anyone that would attempt to cover him 90 percent of the time...he could still use speed on SF's.....and he could use power on power guys.....he could abuse guys like Horace Grant...and PIPPEN at their own strengths....Only KARL MALONE could PUNISH him in the post power wise.

interms of explosiveness he was really close to NIQUES and MJ's I haven't see anyone as all-around explosive as him interms of a burst of speed or strength on demand.
    Skills are not whole without the ability to always execute them. Coleman was very skilled no doubt, but because he didn't have Barkley's explosiveness he wasn't able to use his skills as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0COm1MfaWM

This video details Barkley's career and as you can see....it's so impressive it's mindboggling. He just did everything unbelievably well, and like you said, he was a FREAK athletically. No man his size should move their body like he did. I do agree with you in that he didn't rely on mismatches or even carefully executed moves.......he just went at it hard and dominated. I don't know if we'll ever see someone be able to start and finish fast breaks, coast to coast, that recklessly and powerfully ever again. He was like a runaway freight train, a fat man who could outrun and outjump nearly anybody. I doubt even Nique had a highlight film as impressive as that.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default comparing stats

Name Year G MP FG FGA TP TPA FT FTA ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

Charles Barkley 1073 39330 8435 15605 538 2020 6349 8643 4260 8286 12546 4215 1648 888 3376 3288 23757

Karl Malone 1476 54852 13528 26210 85 310 9787 13188 3562 11406 14968 5248 2085 1143 4524 4578 36928

Difference -403 -15522 -5093 -10605 453 1710 -3438 -4545 698 -3120 -2422 -1033 -437 -255 -1148 -1290 -13171

(sorry i couldnt line it up)

go to: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...submit=Compare

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

Default Re: Charles Barkley vs Karl Malone...who's better?

I think anyone who has watched basketball for many years knows that Barkley was a Better Player. I`d definetly go with Malone`s off court discipline and work ethic (Barkley hardly ever trained or hit the weight lifting room) but as a "Player" there is just so many things Barkley could do that Malone couldn`t and at that so much more efficient than Malone.

Scoring

Barkley shot 58.13% from the 2-Point FG at 21.6 PPG on only 12.9 2-Point FGA PG for the Season and shot 55.13% from the 2-Point FG at 22.5 PPG in the Play-Offs at roughly 14.5 2-Point Point FGA PG as a whole Career.

That clearly shows how dominant Barkley was as a Forward Scoring prescence inisde the 3-Point line that could kill you in so many ways it its just laughable: Mid Range, Far Range, Post Up, Fadeaway Jumpers, 1 on 1 Off the Dribles, Coast to Coast etc..

His excessive 3-Point FGA is what blinds many fans for not understanding how dominante Barkley was in his prime which is undoublty not just superior but way more superior scorer than Malone and also taking Less FGA PG.

Rebounding:

Well Rebounding Title for Barkley says something, Rebounding % and Rebounding Avg clearly indicate Barkley too. 12.9 RPG in the Play-Offs as a Career is just insane.

Passing:

Regarding Assist Averages becaue the pathetic teams Charles had from 1986 to 1992 have all downgraded Chuck`s real Assist Capacity...one has one look at the clips and you can see who was the Better Passer, Game Creator, Dribbler etc.

Skills:

Other than FT shooting Malone has very poor skilles compared to Barley.

Defense:

Well Malone was taller had somewhat of a better reach but he was a poor leaper and did not have Center Notion to Move or Footwork to Time a Block as Charles did to go along a 39 inch vertical leap. Reason why Charles averaged more BPG for both Season and Play-Offs. Neither could Malone run back court and block Guards on a fast break, very few big man have been capable of that Hakeem, Charles. Both Malone where the Best Floor PF Defenders untill the arrival of Webber and Garnett but out of them all Barkley`s capacity to Floor Defend and Steal was clearly Superior to Malone`s do to Speed in a Closed Area and Agility. Reason why Charles Barkley has the Highest Steal Per Average in NBA History

Athleticism:

Well Barkley had a 39 inch vertical Leap, Was Quicker and Way More Agil than Malone. Speed wise they where both Fast but Malone could hardly go go fast with te Ball and heck Barkley could go Lead Breaks and Go Coast to Coast almost Guard-like like no other PF Ever! Strength wise they are both the most potent PFs Regarding: Strenght-Speed and Weight into one. Malone had a superior exterior Arm strength do to weight lifting but Barkley had the superior interior Arm strength to fight for loose balls rebounds and ocourse Barkley had the stronger Torso and Leggs.

Stamina:

Malone edged Barkley because of Off the Court Discipline but once again Barkley had to do more than just PF, especially from 1986 to 1992 in a pathetic aging team with new nobodies playing in the tougher more defensive slow paced ECF.

PER both Season and Play-Offs....Barkley is a Top 7-9 of All Time Malone is a Top 14-24

EFF well Barkley ranks amongst the most Skilled + Efficeint Players Ever in the Top 10 right up there with the Bird`s, Jabba`s , Wilt`s, Jordans, Big O`s, Magic`s

Finally Barkley`s Prime was Way Superipr to Malone`s...Witness to that and Malone`s intentions to Guard Barkley in 80s and early 90s was for 5 minutes because after that he would only get in foul trouble. The only to Guard Barkley was to Rotate Cs, PFs and SFs atleast 3 o 4 men for every game if not foul trouble was in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Charles
    I think anyone who has watched basketball for many years knows that Barkley was a Better Player. I`d definetly go with Malone`s off court discipline and work ethic (Barkley hardly ever trained or hit the weight lifting room) but as a "Player" there is just so many things Barkley could do that Malone couldn`t and at that so much more efficient than Malone.

Scoring

Barkley shot 58.13% from the 2-Point FG at 21.6 PPG on only 12.9 2-Point FGA PG for the Season and shot 55.13% from the 2-Point FG at 22.5 PPG in the Play-Offs at roughly 14.5 2-Point Point FGA PG as a whole Career.

That clearly shows how dominant Barkley was as a Forward Scoring prescence inisde the 3-Point line that could kill you in so many ways it its just laughable: Mid Range, Far Range, Post Up, Fadeaway Jumpers, 1 on 1 Off the Dribles, Coast to Coast etc..

His excessive 3-Point FGA is what blinds many fans for not understanding how dominante Barkley was in his prime which is undoublty not just superior but way more superior scorer than Malone and also taking Less FGA PG.

Rebounding:

Well Rebounding Title for Barkley says something, Rebounding % and Rebounding Avg clearly indicate Barkley too. 12.9 RPG in the Play-Offs as a Career is just insane.

Passing:

Regarding Assist Averages becaue the pathetic teams Charles had from 1986 to 1992 have all downgraded Chuck`s real Assist Capacity...one has one look at the clips and you can see who was the Better Passer, Game Creator, Dribbler etc.

Skills:

Other than FT shooting Malone has very poor skilles compared to Barley.

Defense:

Well Malone was taller had somewhat of a better reach but he was a poor leaper and did not have Center Notion to Move or Footwork to Time a Block as Charles did to go along a 39 inch vertical leap. Reason why Charles averaged more BPG for both Season and Play-Offs. Neither could Malone run back court and block Guards on a fast break, very few big man have been capable of that Hakeem, Charles. Both Malone where the Best Floor PF Defenders untill the arrival of Webber and Garnett but out of them all Barkley`s capacity to Floor Defend and Steal was clearly Superior to Malone`s do to Speed in a Closed Area and Agility. Reason why Charles Barkley has the Highest Steal Per Average in NBA History

Athleticism:

Well Barkley had a 39 inch vertical Leap, Was Quicker and Way More Agil than Malone. Speed wise they where both Fast but Malone could hardly go go fast with te Ball and heck Barkley could go Lead Breaks and Go Coast to Coast almost Guard-like like no other PF Ever! Strength wise they are both the most potent PFs Regarding: Strenght-Speed and Weight into one. Malone had a superior exterior Arm strength do to weight lifting but Barkley had the superior interior Arm strength to fight for loose balls rebounds and ocourse Barkley had the stronger Torso and Leggs.

Stamina:

Malone edged Barkley because of Off the Court Discipline but once again Barkley had to do more than just PF, especially from 1986 to 1992 in a pathetic aging team with new nobodies playing in the tougher more defensive slow paced ECF.

PER both Season and Play-Offs....Barkley is a Top 7-9 of All Time Malone is a Top 14-24

EFF well Barkley ranks amongst the most Skilled + Efficeint Players Ever in the Top 10 right up there with the Bird`s, Jabba`s , Wilt`s, Jordans, Big O`s, Magic`s

Finally Barkley`s Prime was Way Superipr to Malone`s...Witness to that and Malone`s intentions to Guard Barkley in 80s and early 90s was for 5 minutes because after that he would only get in foul trouble. The only to Guard Barkley was to Rotate Cs, PFs and SFs atleast 3 o 4 men for every game if not foul trouble was in sight.
    posting in 2 year old threads?

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by different107
    wasn't charles like the original...POWER forward (emphasis on power)...

That'd be Elvin Hayes.

Whoa, I didn't realize I've answered a Q posed two years ago. Wut da Faq?

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Offtopic question, but as tough as Malone seemingly is, does anyone know how come he didn't go after Stackhouse that one time?

You either know what event I'm referring to or you don't.

Winning>Stats

Get A Life Sir Charles!

Future D1 Dad

i think it's kinda hard to say. even though they both played the same position, they played different styles. malone was taller, stronger, and definitely better w/ his back to the basket, but yet sir charles was a better ballhandler and had a better perimeter game while being smaller and faster.

if you want who was better at the traditional pf spot, i'd go w/ malone.

Traditional my a-ss

Traditional PG: Stockton-Cousy or Magic? Stockton-Cousy
    Better Player: Magic!

Traditional PF: Malone or Barley? Malone
    Better Player: Barkley!