Page 72 of 80 FirstFirst ... 226269707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1196
    Serious playground baller LakerDynasty00's Avatar

Default Re: Lebron James vs Kobe Bryant, in the season, in MVP talk, more

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    No doubt that Kobe is crawling down the other side of the "mountain" right now.....and you know what, it's expected. I don't know how any Lakers fan can be shocked at the thought of Kobe losing a step or two?

He's towards the end of his 13th year right now and has played a ton of games (including regular season + post season). He's had a few major injuries the past couple of years (shoulder, knee ankle to name a few). Kobe is definitely an OLD "29" in basketball years.

Unlike many here, I'm NOT in denial. I understand the "numbers" of a professional athlete, especially in a physically-dominated sport like professional basketball.

While Kobe is still a Top 5 player in the league, he just simply can not perform to the level he did a couple of years ago or even last season. Kobe's main "bread n' butter" is his jumpshot. He used to kill his opponents whereby he would jump higher and get more separation in the process. This season the defender is right there with Kobe when he goes up for a shot. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the defense stuff Kobe on a fadeaway jumper or simple jumpshot this season. That NEVER happened in the past.

You know what, it's perfectly okay to say that Kobe has "peaked" and his game is starting to decline. No shame in that. It happens to all the great players in EVERY sport. Kobe is no different. In a few years we will see the same thing happen to LeBron James.

Kobe has played extremely well this season, but in my opinion....he's NOT the MVP of the league. Why? Because I think that award should go to the BEST/Most Outstanding player in the league.....not the top dawg on the top team. Kobe should have wion the award the past 2 seasons for the SAME exact reason why I think LeBron should win it THIS season.

Honestly, the MVP award means absolutely NOTHING anymore.....ever since Nash (twice) and Dirk took home the award. It's completely lost it's luster the past 3 seasons.
    I won't deny that he may be on the "decline" its only natural. But you're simply focusing on his shooting percentage (who knows maybe that is the first thing to go, like you said losing your lift on your shot), but totally ignoring the other stats he's put up: rebounds and assists. Everyone loves to mention LBJ's great rebound and assist totals as the main reason he should get the MVP over Kobe (this year and in the past). I never put much stock in either of those stats because for one, rebounds are often position dependent, and two, assists depend on other guys making shots. In addition both of those stats (much like scoring) are largely dependent on how many minutes you're playing--especially rebounds, where just being in the game pads your stats.

But if I were to give a sh*t about them, in these 2 poor shooting games Kobe's had 14 and 11 rebounds. That's with Lamar getting 20+ of his own each. He also averaged 7.5 assists over the two Warrior games as well.

He played big minutes in both (46 and 52) and his stats were right there with the playing time. Maybe he was just tired and his shot was falling short as a result. Maybe he just had a bad couple a games. I'm simply not ready to say he's definitely on the decline because of a bad week. Especially when you look to the games before.

Against Seattle he shot 8/15. Utah 11/24. Dallas 12/23. In the remaining previous 7 games of March he shot under 50% four times, which isn't great, but I don't know its a sign that he's "on the decline." The guy has been playing serious minutes while Gasol and Bynum have been out, its got to take its toll. I expect around the time Gasol is back, Kobe shoots in the high 40's and 50's % the rest of the season, and you'll see his shot attempts drop down to under 18.

I am worried that Kobe won't have the juice left for the playoffs that he would have had earlier in his career. But if Gasol and Bynum come back on time and be productive, I expect Kobe to get a lot of time on the bench down the stretch and for him to reserve some big-time energy for the post-season.

Anyway, I don't think the numbers overall speak to much "decline." He's been forced to carry the team, playing lots of minutes, and all that through his own injuries--while the team plays big-time short-handed. Don't ignore the fact that the last couple weeks have consisted of playing some of the best teams in the league. While his shooting % may be down over the last few, his other stats are all up.

Last edited by LakerDynasty00; 03-25-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Kobe is past his peak athletically, how could he not be with 12 seasons under his belt, 3 or 4 surgeries, not sure, 2 of them on his knee at that.
    Does anyone perhaps realize what a load on his body that is? I mean, just for a second....just think about it.
    Let me use Nelson's word, yes, it's truly marvelous.

As for the mini series with GS, haven't watched the 2nd game but he played great in the first one and as deceiving as stats can be, the Lakers got the win so it's all good but those stats, once again, looked solid.

Another thing I find remarkable about Kobe is that he always finds ways to get better which is why I don't fear of him aging anymore. No. Used to but no, not anymore.

He's a complete player. Perhaps the most complete player in the NBA. Practically, has no weakness to his game. There is not one of his game that someone can say "oh look, he reallly is bad at this".
    He's got basketball learned down to science, every skill there is, he's got it, all fundamentals, intelligence and whatever it is, he's got it so even when he isn't as good athletically, he has found many other ways to get better or remain as good. Fortunately, having great teammates helps too.

Like I said, Kobe aging isn't my fear, really. The Lakers are good.
    Kobe will be capable of being a 20 ppg scorer when he's 40. And clearly not one dimensional ala Reggie Miller because there will be a lot of intangibles there, not that Miller didn't have them but obviously not as Kobe.

Anyway, the Lakers are good. Kobe won't be needed to dominate individually anymore. You know, starting from next season, he probably won't average more than 25 ppg. And that's a good thing. Because he won't need to.
    He"ll be able to coast like Duncan's been doing the last few years. And have the same success on the grand stage.

As Nelson said, Kobe now is a guy who possess everything, makes people better or if that's a stretch to some, he's playing great team basketball. And remember when people were saying that he cannot work with anyone good and that the Lakers should only be surrounding him with rugged role players instead of "good players" because Kobe won't allow them to play well? Ha.

MVP MVP MVP! But not the season MVP, couldn't care less about that one. Finals MVP is what it's about. What it's played for.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Chris Paul.... just sayin'

Saw a basketball once TheKingNiBlak's Avatar

Default Re: Magic/Jordan VS Lebron/Kobe. Who will win?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleNader
    better question: Kobe/Lebron vs. MJ/Magic with a bleeding head wound

I think MJ/Magic would win 100-0

Ill admit Magic can easily post up leBron anyday, But, what if LeBron's got the ball outside the paint? He can easily get around Magic since hes quicker.

Kobe/MJ??
    MICHAEL JORDAN!....ssssshhhhh!

MJ and MJ [B]will[B] win but not by a landslide.
    100-0?.... Wtf?

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo

he's averaging 25 points, 13 assists and 3 steals this month while shooting 60% from the field and 48% on 3-pointers.

Not enough? Paul awoke Friday having already recorded nine games this season with at least 20 points and 15 assists.

The rest of this league has accounted for eight such games. Combined.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

LeBron is averaging 31/9/9 since the All-Star break.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    LeBron is averaging 31/9/9 since the All-Star break.
    More like 32/9/7. Still very good though. All of his shooting %'s are up too.

bumpin' myself 'cause CP deserves it. 20 assists is a rare feat.

I think Kobe's going off tonight...

Is it really that clear that Chris Paul is better than Deron Williams?

This has bothered me a little talking about MVP candidates. Maybe I'm just a homer, but it seems to me that neither Paul not Williams has proved he is superior to the other. If you asked last year during the playoffs, you'd get a lot of Williams answers; if you ask now, you get Paul answers.

IMO, its still a toss up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenon
    I think Kobe's going off tonight...
    "Off" is in his jumpshot of late? It's time we Lakers fans face reality and accept the truth. Kobe no longer has those "breakout" 50-60 point games in him. Physically he can no longer do it. Mentally, he's just way too passive.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi>mario
    Is it really that clear that Chris Paul is better than Deron Williams?

This has bothered me a little talking about MVP candidates. Maybe I'm just a homer, but it seems to me that neither Paul not Williams has proved he is superior to the other. If you asked last year during the playoffs, you'd get a lot of Williams answers; if you ask now, you get Paul answers.

IMO, its still a toss up.
    good question.
    CP averages more assists AND more points than Deron.
    Also, he has led his team to #1 in the tough West.
    I would say that puts CP a little above Deron.

Banned

Poseidon's Top 10 MVP candidates (as of 3/26/08)

1a. Chris Paul
    1b. LeBron James
    3. Amare Stoudemire
    4. Manu Ginobili
    5. Paul Pierce
    6. Baron Davis
    7. Deron Williams
    8. Allen Iverson
    9. Dwight Howard
    10. Lamar Odom

Root Of All Evil

Chris Paul is most certainly the MVP this year. It would be so weird for Bryant to win it this year, considering how much better he played the past two seasons and didn't win the award.

Not airballing my layups anymore phazed out's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Poseidon's Top 10 MVP candidates (as of 3/26/08)

1a. Chris Paul
    1b. LeBron James
    3. Amare Stoudemire
    4. Manu Ginobili
    5. Paul Pierce
    6. Baron Davis
    7. Deron Williams
    8. Allen Iverson
    9. Dwight Howard
    10. Lamar Odom
    No KG and Kobe...RIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHT