Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe Bryant is good, but can

There is a chance that Kobe Bryant might become as skilled as Michael Jordan (and maybe he already is). However, no player will be able to match the impact that MJ had in just about every other avenue.

Saw a basketball once

Why won't people just realize this. Athletically Jordan was on another level than Kobe. Kobe is a great athlete, but Jordan was the most explosive human being I've ever seen.

It'd be like giving a player Kobe's fluidity/agility, VC's hops, and Wade's speed.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    There is a chance that Kobe Bryant might become as skilled as Michael Jordan (and maybe he already is).
    I don't think he already is and there is a very small chance he will. Players rarely get more skilled after 30, especially with so many years played like Kobe.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Touch Michael Jordan? Kobe is on the verge of SLAPPING Michael Jordan in the next 4-5 years. Dude is just getting started. This article is going to look mighty foolish in a few years.
    Dude has been playing since 1997. He's not going to change that much as a basketball player over the next few years. He may grab some more recognition/awards, etc but that's not the reason MJ is considered the best.

Default Re: Kobe Bryant is good, but can’t touch Michael Jordan

Touch Michael Jordan? Kobe is on the verge of SLAPPING Michael Jordan in the next 4-5 years. Dude is just getting started. This article is going to look mighty foolish in a few years.
    the same mighty foolish look that you're sporting now?

Kobe Bryant said it himself. Kobe cant touch Michael. So why are his homers tryin to make something out of nothing? typical 12 year olds.

At this point, if Kobe was better we would already know it. If someone felt that Kareem was better than Wilt, it didn't take them until his 20th season to figure that out.

Unless you judge solely on accomplishments/awards/recognition. In that case, as long as he's still playing he could theoretically surpass MJ, but even that is doubtful.

And that is still not a true measure of a player. Awards/accomplishments should be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself. In other words, it should be used to support the argument, not be the argument.

If Kobe wins his 4th ring this year, does that automatically make him better than Larry Bird?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore GreatLakes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    If Kobe wins his 4th ring this year, does that automatically make him better than Larry Bird?
    Tell that to the guy who thinks Scottie Pippen is better than Larry Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakes
    Tell that to the guy who thinks Scottie Pippen is better than Larry Bird.
    I don't know who that is because Larry Bird played on another level than Scottie Pippen.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore GreatLakes's Avatar

I don't know who that is because Larry Bird played on another level than Scottie Pippen.
    97 Bulls

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    Kobe Bryant said it himself. Kobe cant touch Michael. So why are his homers tryin to make something out of nothing? typical 12 year olds.
    Kobe is just showing respect to a legend, being politically correct and not trying to come off as an arrogant jerk. Privately, I'm sure he considers himself right up there with MJ and has all the tools/skill-set to be considered equal or better than him one day.

You don't become as assassin and get the type of "Killer instinct" that Kobe has by thinking that ANYONE is better than you. Ever heard Kobe mention another current player being better than him or even close to him (like how LeBron has repeatedly mentioned that Kobe is the best player in the game)? NO....and you NEVER will hear Kobe utter those cowardly words.

If Kobe wins a couple of more MVP's, a couple of more titles, add a gold medal or two to his resume and maintains similar stats/numbers over the next 4-5 years....he'll be right up there with MJ. Only a fool (or a Jordan slurper) would think or believe otherwise.

Banned

At this point, if Kobe was better we would already know it.
    Was Michael Jordan regarded the "best ever" at age 29?

Why not judge Kobe's career and his place in history when he retires and not during his prime years?

3-time NBA All-Star

Was Michael Jordan regarded the "best ever" at age 29?

Why not judge Kobe's career and his place in history when he retires and not during his prime years?
    Not by everyone, but by alot of people he was, and everyone thought he was at least on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    There is a chance that Kobe Bryant might become as skilled as Michael Jordan (and maybe he already is). However, no player will be able to match the impact that MJ had in just about every other avenue.
    Agreed. I think he's just as skilled as Michael, Kobe has a few more tricks in the bag too. Impact there's no arguement though.

And oh yea, GRIFFEY FOR 600!!!!

With Gasol in the lineup, Kobe can score 25 points and win. Jordan never had a dominant center like Gasol on his team. Given the Lakers progression, I really think they will be a better team than the 72 win Bulls. Vujacic is like another Kerr, along with Vlad. Odom isn't as good as Pippen but Jordan never had truly dominant big men playing with him. Kobe may very well get another 3 rings but I still think Jordan is better.

Shut up Poseidon.

3-time NBA All-Star

If Kobe wins a couple of more MVP's, a couple of more titles, add a gold medal or two to his resume and maintains similar stats/numbers over the next 4-5 years....he'll be right up there with MJ. Only a fool (or a Jordan slurper) would think or believe otherwise.
    How so? A couple is 2, so 3 MVPs total does not equal 5 MVPs, and 5 championships, not to mention only 2 as the best player, does not equal 6 championships. And his stats right now are not equal to Jordan's, and if he doesn't put up better numbers over the next 4 years, they won't ever get equal. Right now 29 year-old Kobe's stats = 33 year-old Jordan's stats. I don't get why people think Kobe doesn't have to accomplish as much as Jordan to be considered his equal or better.