Page 3 of 166 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: OFFICIAL: TRADE/Aquisitions THREAD

How about adding Rod Benson? Does he has the skills to play in the nba? maybe he can play the Brandon Bass, Leon Powe role. Turiaf is an energy guy and a shotblocker but not much of a rebounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordandunk23
    one concern i have with trading odom, is that he is the lakers point forward in the triangle offense. marion never had the duty of running an offense. I know Kobe could run it but he cant be doing everything.
    That is not really a concern IMO. Fisher/Farmar can play the point a lot more and even if we get somebody like Marion, he is capable of playing the point. Marion is a pretty underrated player for passing and ball-handling.

Here's my thought on this: Heat will NOT give up Marion for Odom and I personally don't think they should either. Heat already have Haslem at the 4 and they may be getting Beasley also. I don't think they would have any need for Odom since their needs will be the same as ours: a SF who can defend well and shoot from outside the arch. They have Marion for that perfect spot so why would they give him up for Odom? Odom would put them in the same position as we are in now if they do the trade. The only way I see Heat doing something like this deal is if they find out that Marion may be opting out.

The one other possibility is if Riley decides to play Beasley at SF and since Odom is a better ball-handler/better driver than Marion, they could have Odom at PF. Haslem/Odom/Beasley/Wade/Williams. It's not a bad lineup at all but I don't know if Pat Riley would try it. On 1st and 10 today, Skip Bayless said that Beasley isn't a very tough athletic player at 6'8"(with shoes) so there is a BIG possibility that Beasley may be best for SF and not PF. If that's the case, Heat may be up to the possibility of trading Marion for somebody like Odom. Who knows?
    I would really be happy if we can get Marion for Odom. Marion does have a pretty big ego(could clash with Kobe like it did was Amare) but I think we would be alright. Marion is a defensive general but still able to contribute on the offensive side on a consistent basis in the playoffs. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_...eer_stats.html Look at his playoffs stats. He doesn't disappear like Odom.
    Last edited by bladefd; 06-19-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    That is not really a concern IMO. Fisher/Farmar can play the point a lot more and even if we get somebody like Marion, he is capable of playing the point. Marion is a pretty underrated player for passing and ball-handling.

Here's my thought on this: Heat will NOT give up Marion for Odom and I personally don't think they should either. Heat already have Haslem at the 4 and they may be getting Beasley also. I don't think they would have any need for Odom since their needs will be the same as ours: a SF who can defend well and shoot from outside the arch. They have Marion for that perfect spot so why would they give him up for Odom? Odom would put them in the same position as we are in now if they do the trade. The only way I see Heat doing something like this deal is if they find out that Marion may be opting out.

The one other possibility is if Riley decides to play Beasley at SF and since Odom is a better ball-handler/better driver than Marion, they could have Odom at PF. Haslem/Odom/Beasley/Wade/Williams. It's not a bad lineup at all but I don't know if Pat Riley would try it. On 1st and 10 today, Skip Bayless said that Beasley isn't a very tough athletic player at 6'8"(with shoes) so there is a BIG possibility that Beasley may be best for SF and not PF. If that's the case, Heat may be up to the possibility of trading Marion for somebody like Odom. Who knows?
    Riley loves Odom, he is the one who got him his contract in the 1st place. I agree with most of your post. One reason I think Heat may want to deal marion for odom is bc odom is an expirer, and if marion wants a big extension, then they may want to ship him out. Beasley has similar skills to marion, less athletic/defense, but in the sense they are both sf and can shoot. Odom would be a better fit for them if they choose to draft beasley

DO NOT GET RID OF ODOM(Not just because I'm a lamar homer)...

Dude is our best Rebounder and is nice to have on our squad, good attitude, etc.
    Give him an offseason. Let him work on his jumper and get better. DO not trade him for Ron Artest, my gosh...

Cheeze this guy is a big part of why we got this far.

So... What really WERE our problems? ?
    Defense? Shot blocking? ? I keep preaching... "wait till we get Bynum Back"

Everything will change.

Bynum, Gasol
    Gasol, Turiaf,Odom
    Odom, Ariza, Radman
    Kobe, Sasha
    Fish, Farmar

Nice line up.

That is 10 guys DEEP LET ME ask this...
    Who can **** with 10 guys deep? ? ? Who can **** with 4 bigs that can bang like that? ?

When you have Odom, you can go REAL big or REAL small. Lets say we play a team that runs and plays small ball, then play Odom at the 4 ( a guy that can rebound with the best of them) Play, Pau,Bynum, or Turaf at the 5. Now a team like Golden State has problems because they want to run and guess what, with a guy like odom at the 4, who is a good rebounder can also run, and dribble.Like a big guard. Thats a great thing that not many people can bring.(20,20. BACK TO BACK)

If you play a team like the celtics(Which we did and we actually lost because they outrebounded us and quite frankly punked us), that happens to be big and rebound well, Then you use that great rebounder ODOM. Throw him at the 3.

Why? Because now we have the rebounding edge. we have 3 guys that on a given night can combine for30-45 rebounds... wow...You bring Gasol at the 4, and Drew at the 5. Wow now we have a HUGE LINE UP
    But wait He cant guard pp?? says who?? let him stay in front of pierce, I'm sure He'll keep a hand in his face and odom isnt slow he can keep himself in front if him and Hey just context the shot, stay in front if he gets past him, you can relax because you got Pau, and Drew back there(Darn big trees) Just try it. The fact that Odom has Drew and Pau back there will allow him to play better defense.
    But wait a minute, So Instead of thinking and wondering if Odom can actually guard PP, take a second and think if Paul Pierce can indeed guard Lamar Odom.

Now, you might ask, but Odom isnt fast enough to guard 3's in this league and also he cant shoot. Lets trade him for a guy like Marion or Artest because they are just soo much faster and can shoot the 3. Wait a minute. Last time I checked Odom kept Sh!ting on Marion and is a much better ball handler than both(IMO) Plz dont talk about Artest or Marions shooting.
    Artest isn't the fastest guy in the world. I would argue if he was actually faster than odom.

Why cant we Let Odom work on his jumpshot and work on his game, in one offseason he can probably acquire a better jumpshot than both of these mentioned 3's.

I'm telling you dont deal odom... It would be a huge mistake, a guy who's rebounding is great, along with great ball handling... With a potential shooting touch, and coming in a bit faster...

Guys, hear me out!!!

Saw a basketball once

I would also keep Odom... The group is too compact now, giving players away now will break the machine.

But we need someone.

"Adding" Bynum will be a major move for the Lakers. But we still lack something.
    Having Gasol Bynum and Odom surely takes something away from your 3 point shooting, that was one of our main plus this year. You add something inside but lose something on the outside.

Starting 5 and other options would be

C: Bynum------Gasol---------Turiaf
    PF: Gasol------Odom---------Walton
    SF: Odom------Radmanovic----Ariza
    SG: Bryant-----Vujacic--------Karl
    PG: Fisher------Farmar

That is 12 players.
    Questions are: Do you keep Turiaf or try and land a better C?
    and: If Odom doesn't improve his shooting and 3s, do you play Rado or try and get a better player?

One by one:
    -Bynum: keep him at every cost, he will be a dominant force in the next 10 years.
    -Gasol: He shouldn't play as a true Center, he is not that physical, he has to play together with another big man
    -Odom: versatile, useful, unpredictable, but too unreliable. With Bynum back he has to improve shooting, and he is the best option for trades if Lakers want a BIG DEAL
    -Bryant: Captain, nothing but MVP
    -Fisher: Veteran, Jackson will play him as long as Odom is in there, but will play Farmar if Rado is on the floor, just to keep the right 3s percentage.
    -Radmanovic: I think he's a phenomenal sixth man, not a starter for a Championship team. Will slip to his right place.
    -Vujacic: with some experience, he'll be a threat for every opponent from the 3
    -Farmar: He's a hell of a PG. HE drives, shoots 3s, assists. He will gradually take Fisher's place, and we won't regret it
    -Turiaf: Nice player, but if we want to get someone we would probably get rid of him. Not so easily, he is the only active Center in the roster at the moment. Oh, and Chris Mihm...
    -Walton: I'd love to keep him, nice role player
    -Karl and Ariza: Let's see what happens next year with them...

So, Jackson said they will need adjustments. Given that he didn't refer to Bynum, I think he wants some though players, especially at the forward spots thta can also shoot 3, like James Posey or Ron Artest, a backup Center for Bynum, and maybe a perimeter defender.

Odom may be the key to getting to the Forward, Turiaf or Mihm the key for a new center, Karl and/or Ariza the key for a perimeter defender.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Welcome trc2006... please feel free to introduce yourself to the Laker forum.

[COLOR=blue]Introduce yourself here:[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)

Dude is our best Rebounder and is nice to have on our squad, good attitude, etc.
    Give him an offseason. Let him work on his jumper and get better. DO not trade him for Ron Artest, my gosh...

Everything will change.

Bynum, Gasol
    Gasol, Turiaf,Odom
    Odom, Ariza, Radman
    Kobe, Sasha
    Fish, Farmar

Nice line up.

Who can **** with 10 guys deep? ? ? Who can **** with 4 bigs that can bang like that? ?

When you have Odom, you can go REAL big or REAL small. Lets say we play a team that runs and plays small ball, then play Odom at the 4 ( a guy that can rebound with the best of them) Play, Pau,Bynum, or Turaf at the 5. Now a team like Golden State has problems because they want to run and guess what, with a guy like odom at the 4, who is a good rebounder can also run, and dribble.Like a big guard. Thats a great thing that not many people can bring.(20,20. BACK TO BACK)

If you play a team like the celtics(Which we did and we actually lost because they outrebounded us and quite frankly punked us), that happens to be big and rebound well, Then you use that great rebounder ODOM. Throw him at the 3.

Why? Because now we have the rebounding edge. we have 3 guys that on a given night can combine for30-45 rebounds... wow...You bring Gasol at the 4, and Drew at the 5. Wow now we have a HUGE LINE UP
    But wait He cant guard pp?? says who?? let him stay in front of pierce, I'm sure He'll keep a hand in his face and odom isnt slow he can keep himself in front if him and Hey just context the shot, stay in front if he gets past him, you can relax because you got Pau, and Drew back there(Darn big trees) Just try it. The fact that Odom has Drew and Pau back there will allow him to play better defense.
    But wait a minute, So Instead of thinking and wondering if Odom can actually guard PP, take a second and think if Paul Pierce can indeed guard Lamar Odom.

Now, you might ask, but Odom isnt fast enough to guard 3's in this league and also he cant shoot. Lets trade him for a guy like Marion or Artest because they are just soo much faster and can shoot the 3. Wait a minute. Last time I checked Odom kept Sh!ting on Marion and is a much better ball handler than both(IMO) Plz dont talk about Artest or Marions shooting.
    Artest isn't the fastest guy in the world. I would argue if he was actually faster than odom.

Why cant we Let Odom work on his jumpshot and work on his game, in one offseason he can probably acquire a better jumpshot than both of these mentioned 3's.

I'm telling you dont deal odom... It would be a huge mistake, a guy who's rebounding is great, along with great ball handling... With a potential shooting touch, and coming in a bit faster...

Guys, hear me out!!!
    I completly agree, this is a solid team already. Why do we need to trade??

Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

Everything will change.

Bynum, Gasol
    Gasol, Turiaf,Odom
    Odom, Ariza, Radman
    Kobe, Sasha
    Fish, Farmar

Nice line up.

OK MJ, I like those 10 players too....but I have a suggestion on how
    to make this group better:

First we need to sign Artest to the MLE. I would start him and have
    Lamar come off the bench (for almost any position...whoever gets
    into foul trouble). That forces us to trade another SF like Radman or
    Walton (or both). If we could get a PG who can shoot, I really like
    the depth we would have:

Bynum, Gasol, Odom
    Gasol, Odom, Turiaf
    Artest, Odom, Ariza
    Kobe, Sasha
    Fish or new $6+ mill player, Farmar

Look at that starting team....it would be Detroit like defense....
    with incredible offesive potential for PJax.....and a deeper bench
    than this year !!!!

Last edited by magicmanfan; 06-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.

I do believe that the Lakers can use some "tweaks" that would make them stronger... perhaps some veteran presence.... it would be funny if they could land Posey for instance and he got a ring with the Lakers... that would be the first time that happened (rings with both Lakers and Celtics)... Would Artest come for an MLE? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    I do believe that the Lakers can use some "tweaks" that would make them stronger... perhaps some veteran presence.... it would be funny if they could land Posey for instance and he got a ring with the Lakers... that would be the first time that happened (rings with both Lakers and Celtics)... Would Artest come for an MLE? I doubt it.

He may come for MLE. He has stated he is looking more for a winning team rather than money, but usually money is still in their heads. Plus, if he chooses to opt out, likely the max money he will be able to get is MLE bc most teams dont have the cap or desire to sign him a heft deal

Quote Originally Posted by magicmanfan
    OK MJ, I like those 10 players too....but I have a suggestion on how
    to make this group better:

First we need to sign Artest to the MLE. I would start him and have
    Lamar come off the bench (for almost any position...whoever gets
    into foul trouble). That forces us to trade another SF like Radman or
    Walton (or both). If we could get a PG who can shoot, I really like
    the depth we would have:

Bynum, Gasol, Odom
    Gasol, Odom, Turiaf
    Artest, Odom, Ariza
    Kobe, Sasha
    Fish or new $6+ mill player, Farmar

Look at that starting team....it would be Detroit like defense....
    with incredible offesive potential for PJax.....and a deeper bench
    than this year !!!!

Yeah thats cool, but That a lot of money. I mean Guys like Radman, luke, Mihm, Mbenga, Karl, Newble I'm hoping we dont keep around.(Radman is guy i would reconsider because of his shooting touch). But if Lamar comes to camp with a jader(Jumpshot), then why worry about bringing artest?
    Idk I guess its the fact that ARtest is a big name and I dont want it to seem like we BOUGHT a championship. I want it to be a squad with OUR guys that finally get it done. I feel we need tweaks but with the Bynosaur coming back, that should help A LOT. But we def. need to rid of all those players I mentioned.
    Maybe not an artest because of his ego, but a posey would fit in well(hits the 3)

Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

Yeah thats cool, but That a lot of money. I mean Guys like Radman, luke, Mihm, Mbenga, Karl, Newble I'm hoping we dont keep around.(Radman is guy i would reconsider because of his shooting touch). But if Lamar comes to camp with a jader(Jumpshot), then why worry about bringing artest?
    Idk I guess its the fact that ARtest is a big name and I dont want it to seem like we BOUGHT a championship. I want it to be a squad with OUR guys that finally get it done. I feel we need tweaks but with the Bynosaur coming back, that should help A LOT. But we def. need to rid of all those players I mentioned.
    Maybe not an artest because of his ego, but a posey would fit in well(hits the 3)
    Hey MJ, here's my logic....

I thought the missing aspect this playoffs was real toughness.
    I don't see an enforcer type on this team outside of Ronny. I don't
    see a complete lineup of solid defensive players...we need more
    lock down defense at times.....

I love Ariza....I think he could start for us soon and provide some
    of what I think is missing....

But what big do we have (outside of possibly Bynum) who is a
    lock down defender? Who can guard Carmelo? Who can guard
    Boozer?

We need a real athletic defender at the 3 or 4......

So I like bringing in either Artest or Kurt Thomas.... Artest
    would start moving LO7 to the bench. LO7 could come in for
    any position pretty much....who ever got into some foul trouble
    when we kick the D up a notch.....or two....Artest is a good
    outside shooter too....we needed that this playoffs desperately.

Kurt could help us shut down Duncan, Boozer, Amare'.......and
    I love his scowl when a call goes against him!!!!! He would give
    us some real depth at forward and center.....

I think Mbenga or Newble can go to make a roster spot.....

Then we have to make a trade because of the log jam at SF.
    So then we trade Radman and Walton for ????? as long as they can
    make outside shots!!!

Banned

This is my "Never Gonna Happen, Dream Trade" :

Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza

FOR:

Kirk Heinrich and Andres Nocioni from the Bulls.

If the bulls pick up Rose, they may want to deal Kirk, who fits the tall guard description that Phil likes. Also, Andres would fit the feisty gritty player that the lakers lack. Plus, Noc would be more ideal at the SF spot, and can shoot the 3.

On the bulls end they could unclog the guard spot, and gain a post player in Odom. L.O. could play the PF position, while Thomas plays the middle and Deng at the sf spot.

And the reason im saying Ariza instead of Luke or Vlad, is because the latter have worse contracts and less speculated value. Plus if sizzle is correct, phil may be favoring luke.

I would also like to gain a player like Noah.. who may not be starter material, but who can be a servicable back up....

While I think Kirk and Noc would solidify this team and properly plug up two spots..... Im sure that Chicago would not find this an ideal trade.....Also Kirk contract is too long for the lakers plan, not to mention the new found love for farmar...

....so it remains my never gonna happen...dream trade....

not to mention that its fantasy unrealistic trade where I have the lakers getting two of my favorite players in Kirk and Noc.
    Last edited by ZeN; 06-21-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Saw a basketball once

Well, the starting 5 with Artest freaks me out...

Definitely a power both on defense and offense, no other team could match that.

but I'm afraid we're talking about something that's not going to happen, even though I hope it will.

If not Artest, I would really love a though guy, even coming off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by trc2006
    Well, the starting 5 with Artest freaks me out...

Definitely a power both on defense and offense, no other team could match that.

but I'm afraid we're talking about something that's not going to happen, even though I hope it will.

If not Artest, I would really love a though guy, even coming off the bench
    While I have always maintained that Artest is a huge risk because of his personality, I would also point out that I doubt that Lakers could get Artest just because he Opts out from his current contract. As I said above, the MLE won't be enough for him as his ego won't allow it. Thats what I believe. The other element is that he will not come to the Lakers if Odom is gone, so if you are a Odom hater but love Artest, you better think about that.... LO and Artest are buddies from years back.