Page 63 of 163 FirstFirst ... 13536061626364656673113 ... LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Default Re: NBA Trade/FA Ideas | Rumors | Offseason | Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I've always said it's one of the biggest myths in sports that the Lakers ripped off Memphis in that trade. Uneducated people say that. Memphis ended up with Marc Gasol and the cap space to sign Zach Randolph. It gave them one of the best front courts in the NBA. That trade was a win/win.
    It looked like a big win at the time, but really looking back it was a good trade for both sides, the Lakers got essentially the opportunity to challenge for success/titles consistently for a number of years and the Grizzlies got the opportunity to create a solid foundation moving forward that is still around today with a Randolph/Gasol frontcourt.

It was posted somewhere. Meeks got way overpaid. He hasn't done that much in the NBA. The Pistons really needed outside shooting. I don't mind them signing Meeks but that was too much money. I don't think any other team would have paid him more than 3 million per season. It shows how bad the FA market is. That's why I said the Lakers should offer Monroe a max contract. Somebody else is going to and now that the Pistons spent that kind of money, they'll have to really think about it. Randle/Monroe is a good front court going forward. It doesn't have an outside shooter but the Lakers still have someone like Ryan Kelly to come in and be a stretch 4.
    I didn't really go back and look at previous pages honestly so I thought I would post it anyway, FA's are dramatically getting overpaid unfortunately, I don't mind them paying it because it's more for the need than the player, they dramatically needed floor spacing and shooters they could use a few more (some reason there's discussions of a potential Anderson to Detroit for something I cannot remember which could work for Detroit depending on what comes/goes but it's a pretty stacked frontcourt or clogged more like it if it happens), I've always seen Monroe as although he's listed as a 4 he's more of a 5 he's got an okay mid range jumper though it's move his feet movement and lack of quickness at times that make me think of a 5 naturally more than 4.

Great...now even it looks like Hollins is gone to Brooklyn....F**K SAKE, now it's almost certainly got to be Byron Scott if Hollins is indeed gone.

Default Re: Laker News: Jodie Meeks signs 3yrs/19million with Detroit Pistons

He's worth every penny.

At some point last year, as a starter, he was averaging more than 22 ppg for a stretch, and the best part about it was he was playing great defense still.

Good move, especially if he will be a 6th man, or a 5th option as a starter. Great job Jodie!

I've always said it's one of the biggest myths in sports that the Lakers ripped off Memphis in that trade. Uneducated people say that. Memphis ended up with Marc Gasol and the cap space to sign Zach Randolph. It gave them one of the best front courts in the NBA. That trade was a win/win.
    The Grizzlies got two great young prospects (although one ended up in jail lol) a big expiring contract, and picks. Far from a rip off. Memphis did the right rebuilding move, and the lakers got the best "fit" player to play with Kobe.

As the move should predict, the lakers got what they wanted immediately, and now memphis has the team they want. Although the grizzlies wanted Sun Yue -__-

We coulda had marc

NBA sixth man of the year

the pattern here would be

Lakers had Kobe
    Grizz added Randolph

Who are we?

Lazzers?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat

Who are we?

Lazzers?
    I would say the Lakers are a rebuilding team. It's something that Lakers fans aren't used to and that's why they're having a hard time with it. That's why we keep seeing all these ideas of giving mediocre players long term high salary contracts. Everybody wants a quick fix. It's not going to happen.

I would say the Lakers are a rebuilding team. It's something that Lakers fans aren't used to and that's why they're having a hard time with it. That's why we keep seeing all these ideas of giving mediocre players long term high salary contracts. Everybody wants a quick fix. It's not going to happen.
    Exactly, times are different now with the CBA being the way it is. A lot of people pinpoint the blame on Jim, but truth is, I don't see how Jerry can manipulate CBA rules. All Jerry did was take risks, and those risks paid off. Jim, not so lucky, but all of these gambles will eventually lead to something. This is why they have guys like Mitch helping them run the show. As long as Mitch is employed by the Buss family, there will be steps in the right direction. He has the brains, the lakers have the money. It'll work out eventually.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Exactly, times are different now with the CBA being the way it is. A lot of people pinpoint the blame on Jim, but truth is, I don't see how Jerry can manipulate CBA rules. All Jerry did was take risks, and those risks paid off. Jim, not so lucky, but all of these gambles will eventually lead to something. This is why they have guys like Mitch helping them run the show. As long as Mitch is employed by the Buss family, there will be steps in the right direction. He has the brains, the lakers have the money. It'll work out eventually.
    I think if Jerry was still here the Lakers wouldn't have such a hard time recruiting players. Dwight may not have left. They probably could have signed someone like Melo or traded for Love. They would still possibly have Gasol so there would be kind of a big 3. Without being able to recruit big time players there's no quick fix though. It needs to be done through the draft and when you don't have good draft picks it could be a very long process.

I think if Jerry was still here the Lakers wouldn't have such a hard time recruiting players. Dwight may not have left. They probably could have signed someone like Melo or traded for Love. They would still possibly have Gasol so there would be kind of a big 3. Without being able to recruit big time players there's no quick fix though. It needs to be done through the draft and when you don't have good draft picks it could be a very long process.

at the end, players will look at the roster as well as the salary situation and make their decision.

great players have been drafted by franchises who is known to be mistake prone just because a player stands out so much.

you know, some people gets thrown a hot potato, they end up putting some cream cheese, sour cream and chives and turn it into a baked potato.

Default Re: Laker News: Jodie Meeks signs 3yrs/19million with Detroit Pistons

I guess it's really how the Pistons locker room deals with this signing and amount.

that's leadership within their players and how they view money/contract.

Very good NBA starter

It was posted somewhere. Meeks got way overpaid. He hasn't done that much in the NBA. The Pistons really needed outside shooting. I don't mind them signing Meeks but that was too much money. I don't think any other team would have paid him more than 3 million per season. It shows how bad the FA market is. That's why I said the Lakers should offer Monroe a max contract. Somebody else is going to and now that the Pistons spent that kind of money, they'll have to really think about it. Randle/Monroe is a good front court going forward. It doesn't have an outside shooter but the Lakers still have someone like Ryan Kelly to come in and be a stretch 4.
    While I think Monroe and Randle are a poor fit I like the idea of throwing a max contract at him. Who knows what the hell Detroit is doing? I could see them letting Monroe go with all the bad contracts they've been hanging out. Monroe is still young and we could always trade him. Lakers need some young talent period. This only if Melo is off the table.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    While I think Monroe and Randle are a poor fit I like the idea of throwing a max contract at him. Who knows what the hell Detroit is doing? I could see them letting Monroe go with all the bad contracts they've been hanging out. Monroe is still young and we could always trade him. Lakers need some young talent period. This only if Melo is off the table.
    I wouldn't say poor fit, but I understand what you're saying. It's going against the grain of the new NBA where you have one solid post guy and another who can shoot outside. I think they just need to be surrounded by shooters at every other position. It would really remind me of Memphis with Gasol and Randolph. They've been very successful. I just think they haven't had the right pieces around them.

I think I would prefer to work Pau into a sign and trade if we are seriously considering Monroe. which, most likely won't happen.

As for fit.

I don't think our interior defense will be good enough at first. Playing Monroe at Center who doesn't exactly have the length to alter shots, and Randle who is still a rookie.

If we have a "team" defender like Lebron at the 3 position, or maybe even Paul George, then maybe it would work.

Kobe is too old to play that role at this stage of his career.

Offensively I'm not too concerned. As long as they can rotate and finish, they are both mobile enough to adjust.

Plus a Kobe/Randle pick and roll with Monroe right there for the potential ally oop finish

that's mini Kobe/Pau/Bynum combo right there.

Very good NBA starter

I wouldn't say poor fit, but I understand what you're saying. It's going against the grain of the new NBA where you have one solid post guy and another who can shoot outside. I think they just need to be surrounded by shooters at every other position. It would really remind me of Memphis with Gasol and Randolph. They've been very successful. I just think they haven't had the right pieces around them.
    Defensively they're a poor fit. Randle isn't exactly known for his defense and he's a rookie on top of that. Monroe is not a defensive presence at all. They'd pretty much have to get some elite perimeter players if you have these two on defense. Offensively they could work well off each other since both can go inside and outside and also with Monroe's exceptional passing ability.