Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Diop to sign with Mavs...5 year deal starting at nearly 6 mil a year

Decent college freshman Silverbullit's Avatar

Default Re: Diop to sign with Mavs...5 year deal starting at nearly 6 mil a year

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    But for a combined 67 millions dollars??? (Damp has 3 years left at 10+ mill per year)

His "per 36" are ok, but when will he ever play 36 minutes a game? For his career he's only averaged half that (and he's going into his eighth season, not new to the league). The two seasons where he did average more than 18 minutes per game, he was getting more personal fouls (3.0) than points per game (2.4)...

Yeah, all that matters is how well the Mavs do this season, and how Diop will be a solid contributor on the defensive end, but they sure didn't mind shelling out the dough for him. Mavs have the second highest payroll in the league this season, behind only the Knicks - and not much to show for it. If Avery got canned and is taking all the heat (he did get COY with the Mavs, brought them to the Finals, and a 67-win season), Carlisle is going to have to have some pretty immediate success. I wonder if they'll do more than add Diop and Gerald Green, though.
    That's the reason why they signed Diop.
    Dampier+Diop can play more minutes than Dampier alone. So Dirk doesn't have to play center to much minutes. It's a expensive move, but it makes sense.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

But for a combined 67 millions dollars??? (Damp has 3 years left at 10+ mill per year)
    The last year of his contract is a team option. And it is incentive based on all-star game appearances, minutes, etc. So he doesn't have 3 years left, he only has 2 years left.

Decent college freshman Silverbullit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    The last year of his contract is a team option. And it is incentive based on all-star game appearances, minutes, etc. So he doesn't have 3 years left, he only has 2 years left.
    I don't think you are right.

Dampier has three years left:
    2008-2009 $11,553,000
    2009-2010 $12,115,500
    2010-2011 $13,078,000

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/mavs/...s-con.html#com

Yes, I know it is 7 year 73 million. But at the time of the signing Mark Cuban said the last year was incentive based. David Lord has reported that numerous times. It is based on if he makes the all-star game, etc.

The Mavs are not paying Damp in the 10-11 year if he hasn't met those incentives. Essentially it is a team option.

Just out by Fish on DB.com...Not bad huh?
    Going Long
    Sources: Damp Offered 6-Year Deal

By Mike Fisher and David Lord -- DallasBasketball.com
    The contract being formed by the Mavs with sign-and-trade target Erick Dampier, DallasBasketball.com has learned, is similar in structure to the seven-year, $70 million deal once given center Raef LaFrentz, except with a team opt-out for the final year.
    The San Francisco Chronicle reported this:

what's notable is that the final year of Dampier's contract (2010-11 season) becomes guaranteed if he makes two All-Star teams."
    And to throw one more in... here is what ESPN Insider reported:

Insider has learned the details of Dallas' seven year, $73.3 million dollar contract with Erick Dampier. His first-year salary is $7.7 million. The last year of his contract, worth more than $13 million, is conditional on Dampier playing in three All-Star games in the first six years of his contract OR playing 2,100 minutes in a minimum of 70 games during the 2009-10 season.
    Last edited by Locked_Up_Tonight; 07-03-2008 at 09:30 AM.

NBA lottery pick

Has anybody noticed that Diop looks similar to Buford Bubba blue from Forrest Gump?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
    Has anybody noticed that Diop looks similar to Buford Bubba blue from Forrest Gump?

That is unbelieably racist. I can't believe you'd make a comment like that. I am so appalled at......

....hey ya know what?......they DO look alot alike....LOL.....omg......

"I likes all types of shrimp.....with $6 million a year...that's a whole lot of shrimp......"

LOL...Bubba......

way to much money for Diop.

NBA lottery pick

Insider has learned the details of Dallas' seven year, $73.3 million dollar contract with Erick Dampier. His first-year salary is $7.7 million. The last year of his contract, worth more than $13 million, is conditional on Dampier playing in three All-Star games in the first six years of his contract OR playing 2,100 minutes in a minimum of 70 games during the 2009-10 season.
    For some reason I have a feeling that Dampier will get pulled at the 2099 minute mark.

For some reason I have a feeling that Dampier will get pulled at the 2099 minute mark.
    No reason to do that. He hasn't cracked the 2000 minute barrier since he became a Maverick.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Wow, how much $$ are the Mavs spending now on that Kidd deal. When you add them using the entire MLE a few months later to get Diop back.

This is a Jerome James type deal.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    That is unbelieably racist. I can't believe you'd make a comment like that. I am so appalled at......

....hey ya know what?......they DO look alot alike....LOL.....omg......

"I likes all types of shrimp.....with $6 million a year...that's a whole lot of shrimp......"

LOL...Bubba......

Not really racisim. Funny coincidence

Wow, how much $$ are the Mavs spending now on that Kidd deal. When you add them using the entire MLE a few months later to get Diop back.

This is a Jerome James type deal.
    Not as much as you think. Kidd expires at the end of next season. And getting ridd of Hassell's contract was pretty big. Plus, the other guys they got in the trade, Malik Allen, etc are free agents so essentially it was a Kidd/Harris deal.

And Kidd's got 20 mil coming off the books next year.

Good High School Starter

Poor Diop!
    He was underrated, and very good value for his contract until now.

Now he is another overpayed scrub

I doubt he misses any sleep because of this with his 35 mill in his pocket though:)
    Last edited by fefe; 07-03-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Mark Cuban, for signing a backup center to a multimillion 5 year contract....

....you just got Jerome James-ed!!!!!!