Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Marcus Camby Traded To Clippers

This is a fantastic trade for the Clippers.

A multiple DPOY for the option to switch 2nd rounders? No brainer.

There some issues (Camby's weak 1v1 D, he is getting older, injury problems) but the benefits far outweigh them.

It also gives the Clippers flexibility (20 million is expirers in 2010) rather than panicing and overpaying someone mediocre this year or the next.

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    Camby for a 2nd round pick? They couldnt get a better deal than that?
    The sad part is that it's not even a 2nd round pick.

It's the option to EXCHANGE 2nd round picks.

I also like that Kaman is a post scorer and Camby can shoot/make passes from the high post.

What are Clip fans *****ing about?

You got Camby for nothing.

Sure, he's not an All-Star caliber player... but you got him for a 2nd rounder and some cash.

Camby can easily play the 4 spot.

Davis
    Mobley
    Thorton
    Camby
    Kaman

This is a solid starting lineup if everyone is health and shows up to play.

Baron Davis / Mike Taylor
    Cuttino Mobley / Eric Gordon
    Al Thorton / Quenton Ross
    Marcus Camby / Tim Thomas
    Chris Kaman / Deandre Jordan

13 rebounds, 3 blocks, 10 points, great locker room presence, playoff experience at $10m per is a decent trade.

2008-09 Los Angeles Clippers ( Depth Charts)

Starting 5

C- Chris Kaman
    F- Marcus Camby
    F- Al Thornton
    G- Eric Gordon
    G- Baron Davis

Off the Bench

C- Deandre Jordan ( Clippers version of Andrew Bynum)
    F- Tim Thomas
    F- Quentin Ross
    G- Cuttino Mobley
    G- Mike Taylor

F- Nick Fazekas
    F- Marcus Williams ( from Arizona)

Reserves

C- Paul Davis
    F- Josh Powell

talk about a emotional roller coaster for clipper fans

they sign baron and everyone is on cloud 9

then brand departs and everyone is stunned and devestated

now they snag a marcus camby out of the blue for absolutely nothing, at least providing some degree of redemption

damn, lol

People need to chill on his "bad 1v1 D". He doesn't play bad 1v1 D at all, it was who he was surrounded with that made it look worse

College superstar

Since some people asked, here are the teams in the 2008 regular season that had better defense than Denver (number is points allowed per 100 possessions).

Boston 98.9

Houston 101.6
    San Antonio 101.8
    Detroit 102.9

(Tied) LA Lakers 105.5
    (Tied) Orlando 105.5
    New Orleans 105.7
    Philadelphia 106.0
    Dallas 106.1

In the playoffs Cleveland was a top 5 defensive team IIRC but in the regular season they suffered, most likely due to injuries and the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    Honestly, Denver is one of those teams that are just nothing but stats.
    Not really. It's difficult to make a case using stats that Denver is better than what they've done in the past several years. Their efficiency differentials have shown that they shouldn't have won a playoff series in several years, which they haven't.

I've watched them a few times this year including the playoffs and their inability to get back on transition D, defend pick and rolls, and protect the paint makes them a horrible defensive team. No efficiency rating can describe what I observed with my own eyes.
    The only Western playoff teams with worse defense are Phoenix (much worse) and Utah (almost tied). Just because Denver has the 10th best defense for 2008 doesn't mean they can't still be bad in comparison to the 9 better teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    Show me a link where you got your data from.
    Basketball-reference.com for the regular season. On the team page look at defensive rating.

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    Its most likely true but doesnt account for fg% or efg%. Hell Detroit allows more points per 100 possessions but they also force there opponents to shoot a lot worse.
    No, Detroit is an excellent defensive team only giving up 102.9 points per 100 possessions. If the other team shoots a low percentage they can still get a lot of offensive rebounds. That's why defensive efficiency is so nice. It shows the point of defense: not allowing points per each possession doing whatever it is a team does. You can't fake it.

The efficiency differential of a team (off eff - def off) is, historically, an excellent way of predicting the playoffs, btw. It can sometimes make things really boring if you know about it, e.g. no team this year pulled an upset. The Celtics had a ridiculously high efficiency rating + HCA, which made it quite comical that the popular media chose LA to win.

As far as this trade goes, yeah, Denver is pretty much finished as a playoff contender now.
    Last edited by stephanieg; 07-16-2008 at 03:23 AM.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

The funny thing is that we actually dont give up a 2nd round pick, its only the option to SWAP the pick. The more I think about it, the more I like it. How many teams will be able to attack the rim against us now? We have 2 shot blockers and excellent interior defense now. Kaman has had 20 20 games and I think Camby may have as well. These two guys are going to be like Hungry Hungry Hippos on those boards. Also everyone on our team plays different from each other. I love our new front court rotation with Kaman, Camby, Jordan, and Thomas. I definitely would love to see us pursue Craig Smith and Matt Barnes now. Craig Smith, a little short for the 4 but makes up for it with hustle and grit, brings another dimension and Matt Barnes, a scrappy defender, guy that will dive for loose balls and crash the boards and hit the occasional 3 as well. Im sure if we give each guy 3 mil or whatever we have left we could definitely persuade them to join us.

C Kaman/Jordan/Fazekas
    PF Camby/Thomas/Smith
    SF Thornton/Barnes/Thomas
    SG Gordon/Mobley/Williams
    PG Davis/Knight/Taylor

Something similar to that is possible. Very solid team if you ask me. I just love the versatility on this squad and how everyone brings something different to the table.

wow...just when i was about to throw my clippers cap in the ring for the next three years they do this? strange. im not complaining. im just so glad they didnt sign deng

As a Clipper fan, I am very happy about this move. The Clippers gave up literally nothing for Marcus Camby. And when it comes to having vets that know how to win, Baron Davis + Marcus Camby >>> Elton Brand + Corey Maggette. The Clippers have a well rounded team with athleticism, youth, outside shooting, depth, veteran leadership, closers, size, rebounding, shot blocking, exterior D a long with flash(Clippers will be an exciting team to watch). Pretty much, what you need in a team, the Clippers have... And they have room to add more to their bench.

What's also great, this is great for both winning now and also rebuilding. Baron Davis is 32 and is definitely the team's undisputed leader, sorta like a younger, more athletic Sam Cassel. Camby is 34 and is still an effective big man in this league and I think he'll be a great fit in the front court with Chris Kaman. Kaman can work the low post with his arsenal of moves and Camby can knock down those midrange jumpers which will open things up for Kaman making him more effective on the offensive end. I do agree that Camby is a bit overrated defensively, but Camby and Kaman on the same team will be a nightmer for an offensive frontline.

This is great for rebuilding as well because Eric Gordan and Al Thornton are 2 young players with great potential.. Kaman has not even entered his prime yet, DeAndre Jordan has a chance to be a really nice player if he developes, and might possibly replace Camby in the starting line-up in 2 years.

And again, I do thing the Clippers are gonna be a very tough team... Definitely not championship level but I see improvements from the 05-06 Clipper team that was a game away from the WCF.

bd
    eg
    thornton
    camby
    kaman

or

bd
    eg
    thornton
    smith
    kaman

or

bd
    eg
    thornton
    boozer
    camby

im ok

:3

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    What's also great, this is great for both winning now and also rebuilding. Baron Davis is 32 and is definitely the team's undisputed leader, sorta like a younger, more athletic Sam Cassel.
    29. :p

Also, this trade was a good deal for us. :o

Quote Originally Posted by PaperClip
    29. :p

Also, this trade was a good deal for us. :o
    LOL. I knew he was younger... even better