Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Marcus Camby Traded To Clippers

Quote Originally Posted by starface
    to me this is a lineup that has the potential to see the whole be greater than the sum of the parts. in a way it reminds me of the detroit pistons roster.

i mean its really a pretty complete team. think about all the things you want in a lineup:

capable point guard - check
    outside shooting to space the floor - check
    capable low post scorer (kaman) - check
    size/defense/rebounding from your frontcourt - check
    team with good bball IQ - check

i actually really think this new Clippers starting lineup is rather intriguing. if they actually stay healthy and can use the remainder of their money to fill out their bench with smart, hard-working role players, i could see this team actually sneaking in somewhere between 6-8 in the playoffs. of course, all those things could happen and its still very possible they miss it entirely. but really i think this is going to be an interesting team to watch.
    They need a reliable 2 guard. Doesn't have to be anybody spectacular. They got BD and Thornton for that. But somebody that handle the rock and make an open jumper.

Then they'd be set. I don't think Gordon is ready for that job yet and Mobley well, he's Mobley. A decent guard that can knock it down is that piece they need, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    Did you write that Dunleavy is the best at something?

I'll give him props for playing ventriloquist GM for bucket-list Baylor but coaching props? Hah.
    I've got your back qrich. Dunleavy isn't the best coach in the league, but he's not terrible either. Clippers fans give him a lot more crap than he really deserves. It's hard to stick with a team, year after year, when their roster is just average and winning isn't a tradition. Yet somehow, Dunleavy still manages to inspire his players on a regular basis.

Case in point: Remember last year when Brand was injured, Livingston was injured too, and everybody was counting the Clipps out from the very beginning? Dunleavy talked up the team to the media, saying it wasn't going to be as bad as they predicted, and coached his players to an inspired 5 game win streak to start the season.

Dunleavy has problems with freestyle offenses, which is why he struggles to be a fan favorite, but he's one of the best in the league with the drawing board. He's also 2nd to only 1 (Gregg Popovich) at taming unruly players (see Sam Cassell, Smush Parker,Chris Kaman (not unruly, but hard to handle with his severe ADHD), etc.).

Dunleavy is also one of the best coaches in the league, like qrich said, at finding mismatches and exploiting them. He always has little tricks up his sleeve like posting up Livingston against Earl Boykins a few years ago in the playoffs, and having Mobley look for Cassell on the block against smaller guards. DUnleavy loves hitting the post-ups, and this is why he needs a strong frontcourt over everything else. Camby is a dream come true for him: A mobile, defensive minded guy, that is a head taller than anybody that will guard him (pretty much, anyway). And you better believe that Camby will be one of the premier focuses of the Clipper offense this next year because of it.

He deserves a lot more props than he's been getting, and it's time to acknowledge that he's not a bad coach at all.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by hutcht02
    I've got your back qrich. Dunleavy isn't the best coach in the league, but he's not terrible either. Clippers fans give him a lot more crap than he really deserves. It's hard to stick with a team, year after year, when their roster is just average and winning isn't a tradition. Yet somehow, Dunleavy still manages to inspire his players on a regular basis.

Case in point: Remember last year when Brand was injured, Livingston was injured too, and everybody was counting the Clipps out from the very beginning? Dunleavy talked up the team to the media, saying it wasn't going to be as bad as they predicted, and coached his players to an inspired 5 game win streak to start the season.

Dunleavy has problems with freestyle offenses, which is why he struggles to be a fan favorite, but he's one of the best in the league with the drawing board. He's also 2nd to only 1 (Gregg Popovich) at taming unruly players (see Sam Cassell, Smush Parker,Chris Kaman (not unruly, but hard to handle with his severe ADHD), etc.).

Dunleavy is also one of the best coaches in the league, like qrich said, at finding mismatches and exploiting them. He always has little tricks up his sleeve like posting up Livingston against Earl Boykins a few years ago in the playoffs, and having Mobley look for Cassell on the block against smaller guards. DUnleavy loves hitting the post-ups, and this is why he needs a strong frontcourt over everything else. Camby is a dream come true for him: A mobile, defensive minded guy, that is a head taller than anybody that will guard him (pretty much, anyway). And you better believe that Camby will be one of the premier focuses of the Clipper offense this next year because of it.

He deserves a lot more props than he's been getting, and it's time to acknowledge that he's not a bad coach at all.
    He's gonna have to loosen up a lot with BD in the lineup. He's the king of freestyle.

But yeah. Dunleavy has taken teams to the finals, conference finals etc. He's never won the big one but neither has most of these NBA coaches. He's probably just set in his ways.

Quote Originally Posted by lawlerslaw100
    $26 Million Plus sets the Clips up as the players in the Bron
    sweepstakes. Bron will only be playing in one of
    three big market cities in 2010..Chicago, LA, or New York.

This makes the Clippers and the one New York team
    (unless the Knicks can shed cap space)
    the most likely destination for Bron. The Bulls are not
    likely to be under the cap with enough space and
    the Lakers are not going to have the space or want
    to put Bron with Ms Bryant.
    It'll be 2 new york teams. Knicks and Nets. I know this isn't going to sit well with Clipper fans, but it's the truth. LeBron isn't going to sign with LA's "other" team.

I bet my life on it.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    It'll be 2 new york teams. Knicks and Nets. I know this isn't going to sit well with Clipper fans, but it's the truth. LeBron isn't going to sign with LA's "other" team.

I bet my life on it.
    Yep. That's pretty much a pipe dream. Not just because its the Clippers but because most teams don't have a shot at getting him.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarriors
    He's gonna have to loosen up a lot with BD in the lineup. He's the king of freestyle.

But yeah. Dunleavy has taken teams to the finals, conference finals etc. He's never won the big one but neither has most of these NBA coaches. He's probably just set in his ways.
    Haha, yeah that's true. You're right. There have been a lot of predictions that Dunleavy and Baron will seperate like oil and water, but I think they will work it out somehow. They both want to win and love the game. I'm sure they'll find some kind of compromise.

Decent college freshman

Haha, yeah that's true. You're right. There have been a lot of predictions that Dunleavy and Baron will seperate like oil and water, but I think they will work it out somehow. They both want to win and love the game. I'm sure they'll find some kind of compromise.
    Baron's pretty much a diva. But most players with his level of talent are like that. Baron's style is playground, highly entertaining but will drive a coach crazy.

Match-up genius like Daniel Ewing on Raja Bell?

Dunleavy is an okay coach, I'll give him credit for instilling good defensive schemes but his offensive schemes are garbage. He doesn't maximize the talents of his players whatsoever.

As the Ewing/Bell fiasco demonstrated Dunleavy's attempts to "out smart" the other coach with match-up gimmicks generally backfire. His micro-managing of the offense in the attempt to exploit match-ups destroy flow and confidence.

Clips shouldnt go after Lebron - they should go after Bosh.

[T]he Nets, without room under the salary cap, were not able to bid low enough to get him in a salary-cap dump.

"Kiki really wanted Marcus," said Camby's agent, Rick Kaplan, referring to New Jersey general manager Kiki Vandeweghe, the general manager in Denver when the Nuggets traded for Camby in June 2002. "But he didn't have enough of nothing to give."

Did you write that Dunleavy is the best at something?

I'll give him props for playing ventriloquist GM for bucket-list Baylor but coaching props? Hah.
    Yes I did. Dunleavy is among the best when it comes to exploiting mismatches in the half-court set. Sure, he made a major mistake, but doesn't take away the fact that he can find a mismatch and get his team to exploit it on the offensive end. Such as, Timmy backing down SF's into the post, then hitting a sweet fadeaway and such.

Match-up genius like Daniel Ewing on Raja Bell?

Dunleavy is an okay coach, I'll give him credit for instilling good defensive schemes but his offensive schemes are garbage. He doesn't maximize the talents of his players whatsoever.

As the Ewing/Bell fiasco demonstrated Dunleavy's attempts to "out smart" the other coach with match-up gimmicks generally backfire. His micro-managing of the offense in the attempt to exploit match-ups destroy flow and confidence.
    Actually Daniel Ewing on Raja Bell would have been a great match-up had Ewing not have been sitting out up until that point. Ewing was quick enough to stay on Bell, and was a great perimeter defender. If Dunleavy would have put Ewing in before that point in the game, Ewing on Bell would've been a great matchup. However, Ewing didn't have his legs on yet, and it didn't work that time, but the idea was still very well thoughtout and made a lot of sense.

But the point still stands. Dunleavy is a match-up genious. Now please Darius, actually know what you're talking about next time you call me out.
    Last edited by hutcht02; 07-17-2008 at 04:34 PM.

id like to see gomes or barnes with the clippers.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    id like to see gomes or barnes with the clippers.
    Either one would be an excellent addition. Do we still have the MLE to give? Or did the Thomas signing 2 years ago mean we would have to wait for him to be gone to offer another MLE?

Dunking on everybody in the park lawlerslaw100's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Marcus Camby Traded To Clippers

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246

I bet my life on it.
    WOW...Betting your life on it..What can price can I get for your soul ?
    A second round draft pick Maybe a trade exception for 2008

And they said the Clips could never sign a big time player
    Who is Baron Davis then?

As for Bron, the Clips have a better nucleus than the Knicks
    and Nets. LA is the entertainment capital. Real Estate values
    have fallen hard in California setting some real bargains up
    for the rich. Donald T could share that knowledge with
    Bron's lawyers unlike the Dolans.

The City has the highest RE prices in the US and among the
    world. Subprime slime has not been a problem.

The chances are better than you think that the Bron and Baron
    could be teammates in 2010-11 on a championship team