Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups mayorhoiberg's Avatar

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain: 24 Inch Vertical

This is what I don't get... Screwed what up? How could what I said have been a mistake?

Bol'd over

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mayorhoiberg
    This is what I don't get... Screwed what up? How could what I said have been a mistake?
    It is pretty sad. Even if you are a gimmick account, it isn't like you couldn't just delete the post immediately after realizing the mistake. Let alone going to the trouble of the screenshot/fail picture.

And Psielas thinks it was a real picture.
    "Psielas" is more accurate than someone like you, who believes Wilt had a 24-inch vertical and needed to fully extend while jumping to dunk...

Saw a basketball once

What I can never understand about these debates is people thinking someone from the past would be the exact same size today and that someone from the present would be the exact same size in the past. Its a scientific fact that the progression of the chemicals in processed foods and the like have resulted in both accelerated maturation and size overall. On top of that, weight lifting equiptment is more advanced. Players have access to better equiptment, supplements...Look how quickly players put on weight now.

Do you think that's natural?
    Do you think its because they have greater work ethic?

[COLOR="Red"]Its because of technology that didn't EXHIST in the 60s, so if someone from today came up in that time, they wouldn't benefit from today's technology. If someone from the 60s came up in this time THEY WOULD ALSO BENEFIT FROM TODAY'S TECHNOLOGY. [/COLOR]

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    "Psielas" is more accurate than someone like you, who believes Wilt had a 24-inch vertical and needed to fully extend while jumping to dunk...
    I seriously doubt Chamberlain only had 24 inch vertical lol. Many pretty non-athletic folks can even jump 2 full feet into the air!

NBA lottery pick

That's not exactly documented evidence, its just some news story. The guy could have pulled that number out of his ass.

On the other hand, KBlaze's pics don't prove anything, nor does the video posted.

You guys ever hear of something called perspective? The video shows him in shots where he's several feet away, distorting the actual height of the rim. You'd have to actually go through and find some benchmarks from the background and try and compare and see exactly where he was at to see how high he is. To the casual eye, he looks to be jumping quite high, but if you take another look you see he's about a head's worth away from the rim, and at least 5 feet away in most of those shots. What does that prove? Nothing, just that you can't judge these things with the naked eye.

And KBlaze's photos are worthless because he has his feet in the air, which proves nothing on someone's standing high jump.

I'm more inclined to just base a judgement on his references to Wilt's track career than anything else.

Mathius

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/pictures.htm

By the way Wilt Could Palm the Ball with 2 Fingers like if it where a Tennis Ball...

You don't have to just doubt that Chamberlain only had a 24-inch vertical. You have to flat-out laugh at the fool who even believes so. Even the little footage available at Youtube has a lot of plays where Wilt clearly jumps more than 24 inches, and this includes his last seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfjQ2PLK1s

Look at the play at 1:31. That's Wilt at the age of current Shaq jumping a lot more than 24 inches.

NBA lottery pick

You don't have to just doubt that Chamberlain only had a 24-inch vertical. You have to flat-out laugh at the fool who even believes so. Even the little footage available at Youtube has a lot of plays where Wilt clearly jumps more than 24 inches, and this includes his last seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfjQ2PLK1s

Look at the play at 1:31. That's Wilt at the age of current Shaq jumping a lot more than 24 inches.
    How does that video prove anything one way or another? The guy is documented at 7 foot and he still looks like he's almost a foot away form his head being at the rim. The camera is pointed up, distorting the angle on the replay. The first shot is from a camera overhead, AGAIN, distorting the angle.

It's called perspective.

It's like you totally ignored everything I said above.

You're not going to prove anything from a video without having a measuring stick under the guys feet.

Mathius

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Doesn't Pryzbilla have a 43 inch vertical?

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Saying he can jump 2 feet just shows the standards they had then...doesnt mean its all he could do. Half of ISH can jump 24 inches im sure. But half of ISH isnt getting up enough to be an NCAA highjump champ as a hobby or to long jump 22 feet as he has proven capable of.
    I've heard of him triple jumping 50 feet (which depends a lot on strides and not vertical) but never long jumping 22 feet.

How does that video prove anything one way or another? The guy is documented at 7 foot and he still looks like he's almost a foot away form his head being at the rim. The camera is pointed up, distorting the angle on the replay. The first shot is from a camera overhead, AGAIN, distorting the angle.

It's called perspective.

It's like you totally ignored everything I said above.

You're not going to prove anything from a video without having a measuring stick under the guys feet.

Mathius
    Some of the most impressive dunks and blocks of modern NBA players are performed from Wilt's jumping position and from this angle and yet it's still considered impressive if a guy of Wilt's size jumps that high. It's also considered great athleticism if a normal sized guy's head reaches at that position, again from the same angle. At least, unlike some other plays, if you see Wilt's feet, they step in the paint (=close to the basket) before and after the jump, which means that the distortion isn't as big as in other cases. Yes, in still exists, but so does it in the second one. I don't think that's a whole foot away from the basket.

The are plays with better angles, anyway, with Wilt still jumping high. The one in my avatar (seen also in http://wiltfan.tripod.com/pictures.htm at "Phili 2") is imo an indicator of more than 24'' of vertical leap, regardless of distortion.

I've heard of him triple jumping 50 feet (which depends a lot on strides and not vertical) but never long jumping 22 feet.
    It's actually found in the same source with the "24 inch" claim (Sporting News), which further disproves this claim. I quote:

Wilt is not a one-sport man, either. At Overbrook High School in Philly, he high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 in 49.0 seconds and the 880 in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, broad jumped 22 feet. Bill Easton, Jayhawks track boss, predicts Wilt will reach 7 feet in the high jump if he concentrates on it.

NBA lottery pick

Some of the most impressive dunks and blocks of modern NBA players are performed from Wilt's jumping position and from this angle
    It still doesn't prove how high they're jumping. You can't prove it from a picture, without a definite benchmark of some kind.

He could jump 7 feet off the ground for all I care, but you're not gonna prove it in those shots.

Mathius