Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 12:18 AM   #16
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 34,577
L.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Official #57 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

"Black Jesus" was one of the only players ever to have his own theme song.


Well, my vote is again for Bernard King. Dude was unguardable, especialy his turn around jumper.


4 Time All-Star
4 Time All-NBA team member (2 as 1st teamer)
NBA scoring champ of 1984
NBA MVP runner up of 1984
Comeback player of the year
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #17
PK3434
Good Golly!
 
PK3434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,628
PK3434 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #57 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Alex English
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #18
kazaks
I hit open 5-footers
 
kazaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DAL DET
Posts: 282
kazaks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #57 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Bernard King.
kazaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #19
D-Fence
Great young streetballer
 
D-Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 503
D-Fence has decent reputation
Default Re: Official #57 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
these topics have been getting boring lately because hardly anyone is debating.

Earl Monroe doesn't deserve to be ranked over Dave DeBusschere no matter how flashy his game, nor how colorful his nicknames.

They played on the same team for 3 seasons and won a championship together. In case someone here doesn't know already: DeBusschere was more important to the Knicks than was Monroe.

1972: Monroe averaged 11.9 PPG and 2.3 APG in 63 games. DeBusschere averaged 15.4 PPG and 11.3 RPG over 80 games and was selected to the All-Defensive 1st Team and to the All-Star game.

1973: Monroe averaged 15.5 PPG and 3.8 APG in 75 games. DeBusschere averaged 16.3 PPG and 10.2 RPG in 77 games and was selected to te All-Defensive 1st Team and to the All-Star game.

1974: Monroe averaged 14 PPG and 2.7 APG in 41 games. DeBusschere averaged 18.1 PPG and 10.7 RPG in 71 games and was again selected to the All-Defensive 1st Team and to the All-Star game.

Red Holzman is rolling over in his grave at the prospect of Monroe over DeBusschere.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #20
KWALI
erudite
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,112
KWALI has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #57 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fence
Earl Monroe doesn't deserve to be ranked over Dave DeBusschere no matter how flashy his game, nor how colorful his nicknames.

They played on the same team for 3 seasons and won a championship together. In case someone here doesn't know already: DeBusschere was more important to the Knicks than was Monroe.

1972: Monroe averaged 11.9 PPG and 2.3 APG in 63 games. DeBusschere averaged 15.4 PPG and 11.3 RPG over 80 games and was selected to the All-Defensive 1st Team and to the All-Star game.

1973: Monroe averaged 15.5 PPG and 3.8 APG in 75 games. DeBusschere averaged 16.3 PPG and 10.2 RPG in 77 games and was selected to te All-Defensive 1st Team and to the All-Star game.

1974: Monroe averaged 14 PPG and 2.7 APG in 41 games. DeBusschere averaged 18.1 PPG and 10.7 RPG in 71 games and was again selected to the All-Defensive 1st Team and to the All-Star game.

Red Holzman is rolling over in his grave at the prospect of Monroe over DeBusschere.


Again why does flashiness not matter here? Please let me know when flashiness is important and can be factor in over actual skill and when it cannot be.....
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #21
D-Fence
Great young streetballer
 
D-Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 503
D-Fence has decent reputation
Default Re: Official #57 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
Again why does flashiness not matter here?

Flashy: "Superficially attractive or impressive. Ostentatious or showy often beyond the bounds of good taste."

It's not very important to winning basketball.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #22
KWALI
erudite
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,112
KWALI has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #57 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fence
Flashy: "Superficially attractive or impressive. Ostentatious or showy often beyond the bounds of good taste."

It's not very important to winning basketball.

It was important to your decision to have Cousy up way high on this list when skill wise he's no where near Clyde Frazier or even Gary Payton he cannot be considered a better leader than either of those guys either.

I am asking not arguing when do you see it fit to consider flashiness...becuz tha's really what is being talked about when people say Cousy 'innovated"
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #23
D-Fence
Great young streetballer
 
D-Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 503
D-Fence has decent reputation
Default Re: Official #57 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
It was important to your decision to have Cousy up way high on this list when skill wise he's no where near Clyde Frazier or even Gary Payton he cannot be considered a better leader than either of those guys either.

I am asking not arguing when do you see it fit to consider flashiness...becuz tha's really what is being talked about when people say Cousy 'innovated"

Yeah, I figured you were going to get back to Cousy. First, I wasn't saying that Earl Monroe was just a flashy player. Maravich is the kind of player I would criticize for being flashy.

Anyhow, you've seen more Cousy film than I have. But, from what I've gathered, Cousy wasn't merely flashy. Auerbach had that fear at first, which is why he didn't take him in the draft, but he discovered there was substance to Cousy's game. Are you suggesting otherwise?

I don't see how Frazier or Payton were better leaders than Cousy.

When I talked about Cousy's innovation, I wasn't talking about hollow showiness. A behind-the-back pass isn't necessarily pointless and merely a hotdog move. When Cousy joined the NBA, passing and offenses were a tedious and ponderous affair. By the time he left, NBA basketball was exciting and fast-paced. Yeah, there were already players who would make the ocassional behind-the-back pass or whatever (like Bob Davies and Dick McGuire), and there were other good passers in Cousy's day. But Cousy was the best. So, when I say Cousy was innovative, I mean more than fancy passing--he changed the pace of the game and shaped the point guard role.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy