Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default An early glimpse at training camp

Pete Pranica
Rarely does a professional sports organization undergo as radical a transformation as the Memphis Grizzlies have.

A new head coach, an entirely new coaching staff, a new general manager and four key acquisitions have alighted in Memphis, unified in their desire to wash away the residual sludge of last season’s 22-60 mark.

This season’s marketing campaign, “New Game”, could just as easily have been “Pretty Much New Everything”.

This is no superficial makeover though. More than simply the names on the office doors have been changed and will continue to change. From the day of his hiring, Marc Iavaroni talked about his desire to change the culture in the Memphis locker room. Last season, the Grizzlies weren’t much enjoying their jobs for reasons beyond the horrific record.

The team chemistry wasn’t bad, but all the circumstances that surrounded the team from the opening of training camp – injuries, the potential sale of the team and style concerns that had nothing to do with the NBA’s dress code – were more than the Grizzlies could collectively bear.

It was time for sweeping changes, if not necessarily in personnel, at least in the team’s culture. Enter Marc Iavaroni, who pledged to change the culture surrounding the boys in Beale Street blue.

Only time will tell how firmly the new culture will take root, but if the first few days are any indication, expect it to flower quickly. While there’s no doubt that Iavaroni is the captain of this ship, there’s also no doubt that he wants input from all quarters.

Assistant coaches are active participants in practice and drills, both demonstrating and explaining the values and benefits of each exercise. Iavaroni is wont to solicit input from his team. It’s a collaborative, positive, and nurturing effort that has already won raves from the team.

“Totally,” said Pau Gasol when asked if Iavaroni’s approach is a good one. “It’s all about being positive and acting positive and it will take you to good places.”

As someone who has been lucky enough to cover this team since 2004, I can tell you that this season’s team – and yes dear readers, I do realize there have been only a couple of practices – is already showing more joy and love of the game than I’ve seen in three previous camps.

Iavaroni won’t just talk a good game. He’s too well versed in education and motivation to throw out nice words with no backup. He’ll be consistent and persistent in his messaging to the team. Professional athletes are like anyone else; they hate uncertainty. No one likes to play looking over his shoulder, wondering what’ll happen when he next makes a mistake. Iavaroni doesn’t want players playing in fear. “Just play”, has been one of his common refrains in early practices. The translation is, hey, we’re going to make mistakes, but instead of hanging our heads over what happened, just play through and good things will happen.

Here are some other observations:

Iavaroni’s practices are meticulously planned and there is no wasted motion. The entire operation is like clockwork – chalk talks, stretching, drills and contact work. I daresay the Grizzlies are getting more done in two hours than most teams get done in three.

Damon Stoudamire looks good. No brace on his surgically repaired knee and no favoring of it either. He’s as competitive and feisty as I’ve ever seen him. I don’t know what role Iavaroni has in mind for Damon, but whatever it is, expect Stoudamire to work his butt off.

I think Juan Carlos Navarro will be a fan favorite. He has a good basketball IQ, appears to really love the game and can flat out score the ball. His enthusiasm should be contagious.

Strength and conditioning coach Mike Curtis appears to have been given a greater role in-practice in working with the team on stretching and flexibility, which (hopefully) will cut down on injuries.

Forget the debate on whether Iavaroni will be a defensive-minded coach (think Pat Riley) or offensive-minded (think Mike D’Antoni). He’ll have the Grizzlies proficient on both sides of the ball; working as a cohesive unit on defense will make the Grizzlies’ offense even more potent.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/feature...mp-071002.html
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: An early glimpse at training camp

I will get to see in person today if all of this is true.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I will get to see in person today if all of this is true.
Great. Come back and tell us what you see.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It would be nice if you could post up what you see and then we can compare to what the article says.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

Ok im back.I got good news and bad news.The good news.The scrimmage looked good from the start.Conley jr drove the lane pulled defenders then led pau to the lane with a sweet dish.Pau looked like the old pau except.His ball handling has really improved and his shot release is quicker.He drained a few jumpers and had a few dunks.Miller was himself he missed a couple of long threes before draining one.Warrik looked quick as usual.He blocked a few shots.Rudy's jumper looked good.He had a ferocious slam.His head almost hit the rim.Casey jacobson was lights out.He hit like a five threes.He will be a big help.Kinsey looked bad.Swift was ok.Cardinal was bad.Juan carlos crossed up a few people.He hit pau with a nice pass.And did his floater.He looked a little lost at times but overall looked good.Damon stoudamire looked great.His shot was great.He drove the lane with quickness.He made conley look bad almost routinely.He wore down at the end.But expect a good 20 minutes from him.Darko looked tough he had a nice hook shot he is a little slow but a huge improvement over tsakalidis.Meaning has that size but is alot better.Now the bad news mike conley pulled a muscle in his left leg trying to drive.They ended the srimmage early for this.Also kyle lowry did not play probably due to injury.Are two promising points are injured.Or so it seems.Hopefully its not serious.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Cardinal was bad.
: Nothing new there.

Navarro sounds like he's going to be a great addition to the team. Pretty much everything I expected, I wouldn't of thought Conley would do too well, especially against a vet like Stoudamire, who just knows exactly what do.

Overall it sounds good, can't wait for the season.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

No dont get me wrong conley looked good.On offense he was driving lanes hitting players with ease on the wings.His ball handling and speed are great.He pushed damon just as hard on offense.Damon has a jump shot though which allowed him to keep conley jr and others honest.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

So sounds like he done well, minus the injury which he couldn't of controlled anyway. Let's just hope it's nothing too serious and that he recovers quickly.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: