Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #16
milehi
Can barely lace up my sneakers

milehi has an OK reputation so far

When K-Mart is hurt, he becomes a cancer. When K-Mart was healthy, he gave the Nuggets toughness and defensive intensity. Other than Melo, he was the only guy I thought should be totally unavailable. But now he's hurt, he's frustrated, and it sucks for him. He's not a good influence on the team.

I thought J.R. Smith was an awesome signing. Hopefully, his time on the bench and his run-ins with Scott have humbled him. Now he knows that he isn't always going to be the man.

What I don't understand is how you can be that amazing of an athlete and be such a terrible defender. I hope he improves, but I just can't see him not being in Karl's doghouse all the damn time.

Still an awesome pick-up though.
milehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #17
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

I think this is an awsome trade for the Nuggets. JR has superstar potential. This trade will help out the Nuggets a lot.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #18
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

GoldNugg21 has an OK reputation so far

I think it's funny how people assume that this will automatically help spread the "cancer" of K-Mart. While there's no doubt that it wasn't all smiles in the Nuggs locker room last year, there's no reason it can't be worked out, and to use that as a reason for stating that picking up a potential superstar talent for 2 scond round picks was a bad move is just silly. I really just don't understand how you could knock this trade from a Nuggets point of view. Even if Smith is shipped out of town 2 weeks into the season for being a problem in the locker room, what did they really lose? Virtually nothing. And on the flip side, it could well end up being the biggest steal of the offseason. The very definition of low risk, high reward.
GoldNugg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:03 AM   #19
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

The Kenyon situation is definately not unfixable. There was a lot of miscommunication. He wasn't ready to play, but trainers said he was. Karl wanted him to practice to play, but he couldn't. Karl picked the dumbest time to start punishing Kenyon over not practicing. Kenyon picked the wrong time to blow up about it. Melo loves Kenyon, Nene has said he wants him back, those are the only 2 people I think matter. The 2 teammates that have a problem with him, are the 2 Melo has problems with aswell, our 2 "point guards". BTW they should be the ones shopped.

JR I think has great potential. He's in the perfect situation. He doesn't have to carry the burden of being a allstar soon and be a great all around player. He just needs to be able to do what he likes to do best, shoot the 3. And I've watched him a little and he's shown that he can play some defense. And I think he'll get better in that regard. He'll develop well under Karl and next to Melo

Last edited by Y2Gezee : 07-31-2006 at 02:09 AM.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 AM   #20
roth15syr
I brick open layups

roth15syr has an OK reputation so far

Just my take on things: I like JR Smith's potential, but to give up Eisley (who I assume is an expirer or a small deal cuz otherwise why would the Bulls want him) AND two second rounders for him?!?! Let's analyze for a second here. What makes a good first round pick? A guy who's well rounded and could possibly dominate under the right cicrumstances. What do teams usually look for in second rounders? Players who do one or more things well that fit with that specific team. There are ALOT of good shooters in the draft every year. Why give up two shots at that type of pure shooter when the next Michael Redd (who WAS btw a second rounder) could be available for JR Smith, who at BEST is that guy? Doesn't make sense to me. Also, Paxson seems to be doing a damn good job with all his draft picks and personnel moves. This just gives him more ammo. The Bulls are starting to scare me alot.
roth15syr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #21
roth15syr
I brick open layups

Just my take on things: I like JR Smith's potential, but to give up Eisley (who I assume is an expirer or a small deal cuz otherwise why would the Bulls want him) AND two second rounders for him?!?! Let's analyze for a second here. What makes a good first round pick? A guy who's well rounded and could possibly dominate under the right cicrumstances. What do teams usually look for in second rounders? Players who do one or more things well that fit with that specific team. There are ALOT of good shooters in the draft every year. Why give up two shots at that type of pure shooter when the next Michael Redd (who WAS btw a second rounder) could be available for JR Smith, who at BEST is that guy? Doesn't make sense to me. Also, Paxson seems to be doing a damn good job with all his draft picks and personnel moves. This just gives him more ammo. The Bulls are starting to scare me alot.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #22
Ben mc
I brick open layups

Ben mc has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth15syr

i dont see how giving up two second round picks for a young player with the potential to become an all-star is an issue. Its a fantastic trade.

At worst smith never lives up to his potential, but ill take that risk for an expired veteran and 2 second round picks. Second round picks are usually just a stab in the dark for talent anyway, usually resulting in a bust. This way we take a Stab but its by no means in the dark as we gain a guy who can shoot the lights out and has a major upside.
Sure, maybe we'll miss out on the next Michael Redd but i mean come on! The chance of that happening is nothing compared to the chance of j.r. developing into something special.

Be realistic here.
This is a fantastic move by the Denver Organisation.
Ben mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #23
roth15syr
I brick open layups

There's no reason a second round pick is a stab in the dark. As I said there are TONS of players who all they can do is shoot. Either draft one or sign one as an undrafted free agent. Either way, you can get your shooter without giving up more than one pick, let alone two.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #24
milehi
Can barely lace up my sneakers

milehi has an OK reputation so far

We've got two first-rounders next year though. I can't imagine the draft is deep enough for us to get four rookies on our team by making two more second-round picks in addition to those. We wouldn't even want that.

There are plently of steals in the second-round though, that's true. But next year, we don't need them.

JR is a potential All-Star we got for cheap. We didn't waste a first-round pick for him, trade anyone that mattered for him, or pay him a bunch of money.

Everyone should be psyched. I mean, check out his highlight reel, the kid is sick!!!

Last edited by milehi : 08-01-2006 at 01:43 PM.
milehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:00 AM   #25
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I think we had 3 2nd round picks. I forgot who's for sure, but I know we gave our personal one away to go along with the worst of either Boston or Golden State. We're going to make the playoffs so ours wont be that good. And we'll end up with a pretty high 2nd round pick still. Plus I think we have 2 first rounders.

I like JR, I think he will end up being a Michael Redd type only more athletic. He can definately develop into a guy 15ppg guy soon. I say even next year. Possibly the next.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #26
roth15syr
I brick open layups

Alright, I concede. In the case that we had 2 first rounders and 3 second rounders and we got to keep the top second rounder then this was a GREAT deal...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: