Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people
Default Roko intending to come this season!

Quote:
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Roko Ukic wants to play for the Raptors next season and, perhaps, vice versa.

The Croatian point guard's agent, Marc Cornstein, met Raptors president/general manager Bryan Colangelo yesterday at NBA pre-draft camp for a preliminary discussion. A second-round pick of the Raptors in 2005, Ukic decided to sign a four-year deal with Tau Ceramica of Spain last summer and currently is involved in Spanish League playoffs.

But the 6-foot-5 Ukic has made it clear to Cornstein that his desire is to play in the NBA next season and the agent is in the process of trying to make that happen.

"Obviously, there will be negotiations involving three parties (meaning a buyout needs to be made) and I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves," Cornstein said yesterday. "But Roko would like to be in Toronto and I think Toronto would like to have him as well."

Colangelo didn't go into any details about the discussion, other than indicating it is a possibility that Ukic will play for the Raptors next season. He also said it is possible Ukic will play for the Raptors in the Las Vegas summer league next month.

"We really didn't get into specifics," Cornstein said. "It was just a meeting of the minds."

Cornstein added no timeline has been made in regards to his dealings with the Raptors. Previous Raptors GM Rob Babcock wanted to bring Ukic in last season, but he decided to remain in Europe. At the time, he was not represented by Cornstein.

"From Roko's side, he was really down after dropping out of the first round," Cornstein said. "He was a little disillusioned and he signed a contract in Spain. He has gained maturity and he knows an organization really believes in him."

Meanwhile, Colangelo said 2005-06 rookies Joey Graham and Charlie Villanueva will join the Raptors for summer league, while fellow freshman Jose Calderon remains up in the air because of Spain national team commitments. The Raptors' other 2005-06 second-round pick, Slovenia's Uros Slokar, likely will not play in summer league, Colangelo said.

DENHAM'S DAY

Toronto-born Denham Brown, a Connecticut grad, scored 12 points in 20 minutes yesterday in his first game at pre-draft camp.

Thank craigthomas, he foudn this, but I'm posting it here in the forum.

I'm quite happy about this. My outlook on the situation is this:

He might crash. He might be quite ok. He isn't showing much improvement in Europe, so we shuld go double or nothing and throw him to the NBA wolves. Either he crashes and burns or flies with it. Since anything we get from him is a bonus, why not go for the tops?
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Yeah this would be a good move and solve some of our PG problems but not all maybe sigtn Jay will then were set
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

That would be good to have him over here. Now what about Uros Slokar. He is a center. Is he gonna be coming back for this next season or is he staying in Europe?
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
That would be good to have him over here. Now what about Uros Slokar. He is a center. Is he gonna be coming back for this next season or is he staying in Europe?

I thought Slokar was a taller, more athletic Matt Bonner?

Also I like the fact that Ukic wanta to come over but I don't believe this solves anthing at the PG. Besides that fact that we have no experiance from the position, Ukic is more of a combo guard than a PG.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #5
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low

Uros Slokar may have the height of a center, but he is most definately not one. He fits more as a small forward or power forward. He projects to maybe a backup at either position as a best case, I cannot see him doing any better then that but would be surprised and pleased if he did.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

In a few years Slokar could probably be a pretty good backup. Not a 6th man candidate or anything, but he could play in most games for a max 10 minutes and pick up about 4pts and 2boards. Nothin special but the raptors could use a few guys like that to step in.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

Cool, if Villenueva AND Roko are playing in the summer league, then I am definetly looking forward to the summer league games (for once).
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I like the chances of Roko playing in the summerleague and making the team. He probably won't play much at all in the first year but he would definetly benefit from the practises.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Faufner
Serious playground baller

Faufner has an OK reputation so far

Bringing Roko over is a necessity this season. We need to see what he can do. Not to mention the fact that i'm quite high on him, I really do think he's going to suprise some people.
Faufner is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: