Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 07-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.
Default Mavs Summer League Update

For those who are interested here's the link to the summer league the Mavs are currently in http://www.nba.com/jazz/Revue/06_schedule.html

Ager has had a few impressive performances this summer, but several mediocre ones.

The most interesting stories for the mavs are:

Kevin Pittsnogle
Pops Mensah-Bonsu
Jose Barea

Pittsnogle has done nothing too impressive in his limited playing time, but I was excited to see his name on the roster cause I at least know who he is.

Pops has been playing very well, you can tell by his large number of fouls and at times poor shooting percentage that he, as reports say, is still fairly raw. Despite this, he has been one of the more consistant performers of the team and I haven't counted, but I feel like its safe to say he's leading the team in blocks.

Jose Barea has given me hope that the mavs might pull a new guard to replace DA out of the summer league. He appears to be a decent shooter and is averaging 6.66 assists per game in his appearances. This has been reassuring on a mavs summer league team that has been completely abysmal in this stat (although, from purely looking at the stat sheet i feel that's a result of Rawal Marshall and Ager playing in the back court together for the first few games. With them always creating their own shots, ball distribution was definitely lacking)

Last edited by soog : 07-19-2006 at 09:42 AM.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
lost80bux
Can barely lace up my sneakers

lost80bux has an OK reputation so far

Go Pops
lost80bux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
mazer
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mazer has an OK reputation so far

I would love to see all 3 in a Mavericks jersey next year. Sadly I do not think that is possibe.

Barea is amazing, I'm so suprised he is still available. Whoever signs him will be very lucky. What are the odds do you think?
mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
soog
I brick open layups

Well the Mavericks were very vocal about their pursuit of Mike James, another pg, who they didn't acquire. When i initially saw this news I immediately saw a future with harris and terry running side by side at pg and sg respectively. Here are my reasons for terry moving to SG and another PG joining up:

1) they did it in the playoffs this past year and it worked very well
2) they had 3 SG's at the beginning of last year, all of whom are no longer with us (Christie, Griffin, Daniels)
3) we picked up ager and buckner; however, no matter how much the mavs say ager is ready to contribute now, he is still a rookie. That being said i really consider us 1 1/2 deep at the SG spot (oh yeah, forgot about Rawall).
4) the mavs did not renew the contract for one of the assistants, leaving a spot open for DA to pull an Avery and join the coaching staff (lets be honest, he isn't on the team for his playing ability)

So in summary, we are short at the two guard: solution, move terry
Then we are short at the one: solution, acquire mike james... whoops, acquire marcus banks... whoops, what about that guy avg'ing about 7 assists a game in the summer league?

And regardless of whether or not terry plays more sg, im sure the mavs are pushing for DA to be a coach, thus opening up that 3rd string guard spot.

Don't know if that makes any sense to yall, but that's my reasoning for another pg joining up.

Last edited by soog : 07-19-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Pointguard01
I airball my layups

Pointguard01 has an OK reputation so far

Terry playing minutes at SG is fine, but I still think that he's got to get some of his minutes at PG to get everyone playingtime, so even if we sign someone like Jose Barea, Lindsey Hunter, Eddie House as the backup PG, I still see...

G- Harris <30> l Terry <18>
G- Terry <16> l Buckner <20> l Stackhouse <12>
F- Howard <35> l Stackhouse <13>

Howard- 35 minutes
Terry- 34 minutes
Harris- 30 minutes
Stackhouse- 25 minutes
Buckner- 20 minutes

That makes the 3rd string PG to fill the Darrell Armstrong role to bring energy whent he team is lacking or one of our PGs isnt getting it done and Ager to fill the Marquis Daniels role of the talented wing that can give up minutes when needed.

There will definately be another PG on this team because you'll rarely see a team go with one 2 PGs on their roster, but I dont see that player being a regular rotation player, espically looking at who's left in free agency...
Pointguard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
soog
I brick open layups

Oh I completely agree with you, I'd see him splitting back up PG minutes with terry (while terry's logging lots of minutes at SG). He would be more of a safety option for injuries or a pick me up off the bench if harris is playing like he did in the finals
Old 08-09-2006, 02:11 AM   #7
Milkman

i like pops shot blocking at the 4
Old 08-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

Pops is not going to see much time next year barring injury. He will get lots of action in Fort Worth in the d-league. Hopefully we'll get a good idea of what he can do. His summer league play definitely got him a roster spot.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard01
Terry playing minutes at SG is fine, but I still think that he's got to get some of his minutes at PG to get everyone playingtime, so even if we sign someone like Jose Barea, Lindsey Hunter, Eddie House as the backup PG, I still see...

G- Harris <30> l Terry <18>
G- Terry <16> l Buckner <20> l Stackhouse <12>
F- Howard <35> l Stackhouse <13>

Howard- 35 minutes
Terry- 34 minutes
Harris- 30 minutes
Stackhouse- 25 minutes
Buckner- 20 minutes

That makes the 3rd string PG to fill the Darrell Armstrong role to bring energy whent he team is lacking or one of our PGs isnt getting it done and Ager to fill the Marquis Daniels role of the talented wing that can give up minutes when needed.

There will definately be another PG on this team because you'll rarely see a team go with one 2 PGs on their roster, but I dont see that player being a regular rotation player, espically looking at who's left in free agency...

What about Devean George?
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

He'll be at sf behind Stack. Might be occasions where Stack could play some sg and George could be on the court at sf with him. Maybe some spot minutes at pf in a crunch.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: