Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 06-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: What is your opinion of this trade to get the #4?

I don't see a ton of potential in Webster. I like that he's improving his defense but I don't think he'll ever be the player that Portland thinks he will be. He's been showing more explosiveness and aggresion but he's still very inconsistant and the rule is pretty consistant. Go look at stats of players. They start low 2-12 PPG then up a point or two then in their 3rd or 4th year they put up their big numbers and they usually hold those numbers pretty close until the decline of their career.

Kobe Bryant

Kevin Garnett

Ricky Davis
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #17
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Martell just completed his 3rd year. Looks to me even off the stats you gave me is that between the 4th and 5th year is when they explode onto the scene, and Martell hasn't hit that point yet.

Ricky Davis:
3rd year (where Martell just finished up): 4.6
2 years later: 20.6

Kobe:
3rd: 19.9
5th: 28.5

KG:
3rd: 18.5
5th: 22.9

T-Mac:
3rd: 15.4
5th: 25.6

Al Harrington:
3rd: 7.5
5th: 12.2

Webster:
3rd: 10.7
5th: ?

There's more, but as you can see, most of these straight out of high school guys continue to get better after their 3rd year, which is where Webster is. I think there is plenty of time for him to improve. Heck, most of those guys ended up with averages way higher than their 5th years even. Whose to say Webster won't average 15-20. I think it could EASILY happen on a team where he gets more touches. He only averaged 8.6 FGA. Imagine if he had a couple more years to improve and increased those FGAs to 13-14. He truly could be an all-star (though on the Blazers he would be an all-star caliber guy that would be in a role player position, but I'm cool with that).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #18
Myth

Btw, I love Blazer fans. We can debate without getting angry at one another. This is fun BlazersDozen.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Thats what I was getting at LOL!

I was saying that we will know what he will basically be for his career after this season. Outlaw had his outbreak season last year or the year before (if you count what he did when he started getting garbage minutes).

Yes I love debating LOL especially when my favorite time of the year is coming up...the offseason!! I love free agency, all the trade rumors and the draft.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #20
Myth

Oops, my bad. I misread what you meant even a couple posts back. I thought you were saying that Webster shouldn't be improving more and what we have already seen is what we'll get. I guess my confusion started when you said Webster wasn't good enough to get that trade done.

Anyway, those guys even developed much further after their 4th and 5th year, but as you said you can start to see what type of player they'll be, but you just can't see the whole picture yet.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #21
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

I highly doubt that Martell will be a 20ppg player in Portland though. There won't be enough shots to go around with Roy, Aldridge, Oden, Fernandez, Outlaw, the big FA we bring in or the big deal guy and if we get another good wing player who is an upperclassman in college and a good scorer through the draft (ala Douglas-Roberts, Brandon Rush, or Courtney Lee)

Thats why I want to trade him. Without failure, we are going to have a log jam of great young players and there won't be enough minutes and shots to go around. Trade Jack, Webster and Hell, if nobody takes Webster then trade Outlaw for good role players like a Kurt Thomas type player who isn't looking for points but just to help the team. Maybe get Ime back.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
Myth

I agree that Webster won't be a 20 ppg guy on the Blazers because we have too much fire power. Though, I'd rather have a guy capable of scoring 20 a game but instead using his ability to be a very effective role player that can't be left open than trade for guys of Kurt Thomas' caliber. I like to think we can use Webster like Finley was used a couple years ago. You know, a role player that can go off if the D tries to double elsewhere. Kind of like a secret weapon where teams go "Sh!t! We got so caught up in Roy, Oden and Aldridge that we forgot Webster is lethal too!"
Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #23
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Oh ok. Then that can work if he agrees to that role on the team.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #24
iamflang
Can barely lace up my sneakers

for now, martell's skill set/abilities are great for that role, since we aren't relying on him to be consistent. as he gets better, he might "outgrow" that role and demand a larger one.
iamflang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #25
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflang
for now, martell's skill set/abilities are great for that role, since we aren't relying on him to be consistent. as he gets better, he might "outgrow" that role and demand a larger one.

And thats when we trade him for a really good PG. :)
Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #26
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

This is what I mean. Why not trade him NOW while he still has potential and value instead of waiting to see whether or not he'll be consistant or not and end up with a backup SF who is an inconsitant shooter when we could've possibly gotten a borderline all-star caliber PG right now? (Talking in future reference)
Old 06-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #27
TheCord#20
I hit open layups

I don't think Wilcox will be happy on the bench. Gotta keep the chemistry!
TheCord#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: