Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

bjtrdff has decent reputationbjtrdff has decent reputation
Default Re: 2008-09 Depth Chart, comments?

I will bet money on kapono starting. He's exactly what the starting lineup needs with both JO and Bosh on the floor. We bring another shooter to explot open looks. Let Moon come off the bench and try to bring some energy and rebounding when one of the bigs are off, and Bargs is on.

Also, will be buried again quickly, and Adams will play more of a role than people think right now.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #17
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

Apparently Jawai is coming to the NBA right away after all-

'Jawai given two-year deal
11/07/2008 10:44:06 AM
Sportal
Nathan Jawai's move to Toronto has been crystallised with the Raptors securing the former Cairns centre to a two-year contract.

Jawai will sign the deal with Toronto on Friday morning, according to his agent Daniel Moldovan, just a day after officially being traded to the NBA's only Canadian franchise from Indiana.

"We have agreed to terms with the Toronto Raptors on a guaranteed two-year deal, which is rare for a second round pick and certainly displays the promise they see in Nathan," Moldovan said.

"We are thrilled that Nathan has gone to such a first-class organisation and that he will be playing behind two of the true superstars of the NBA in Jermaine O'Neal and Chris Bosh."

"What this means is that Nathan will not only be on the Raptors roster immediately, as opposed to developing further in the NBL, but he will be right in the thick of the minutes given that the team is going with a bi-man rotation featuring O'Neal, Bosh, (Andrea) Bargnani, Jawai and (Kris) Humphries."

Jawai created history by becoming the first indigenous Australian athlete drafted in the NBA.'

see http://sportal.com.au/basketball-new...ear-deal-52198

From all I've seen, he may have potential, he should bring a little added toughness, and the Raptors basically need more players, so this sounds like the right move.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #18
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Weird seeing him getting a guaranteed contract seeing as the consensus on him is he's raw but seeing as we have a need for a depth type big, might as well sign him. You're probably not getting anything better for the price.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

Depth wasn’t as good as last year, then again that wasn’t a smashing success either. That was a 500 squad, a one-and-done playoff team, and could only beat a D-League Miami Heat team without an injured Bosh.

Big difference next year. When CB4 goes out (as in rest), you possibly still have JO that could command double teams. And I can only assume that you’ll rarely see those two sitting on the bench together. Best-case scenario, that should cover for the loss of Rasho, Delfino and Jose as part of the reserve core.

Bargs, Adams and Kapono plus Bosh/JO could possibly be as good as last year’s reserves. If Bargs develops into a 6th man of the year candidate , then it could be a very good Raptor team.

Adams may also surprise people. I wouldn’t rely on Ukic, maybe Damon Stoudemire can sign for the vet minimum.

I know the “win-it-all” mentality is begging for that scoring wing, but I guess the bean-counters at MLSE don’t want to take the luxury tax hit.

Last edited by power works : 07-11-2008 at 11:44 AM.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think depth will be less of a factor since we have JO, if Mitchell makes the rotation correctly he can be kept on the floor with the 2nd unit. In JO's own words "it doesn't give teams time to adjust, one of us will be on the floor at all times." There's no way if Mitchell has an ounce of intelligence that he will put in a lineup of:

Ukic
Adams
Kapono
Humphries
Bargnani

for any extended amount of time.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #21
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

i believe jawai is going to suprise us this season...

for someone his size he's not foul prone at all, big hands, takes up a lot of space...

deepest front court we've ever had by far.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #22
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech

for someone his size he's not foul prone at all, big hands, takes up a lot of space...

Isn't he playing in Europe next season?
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Isn't he playing in Europe next season?

nope, he's on the team. we need him too, it's been awhile since we had a bruiser like jaws (jawai) on the team.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #24
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech

I am expecting nothing. He hasn't even been playing basketball for very long. He's a big dude, I read he tires very easily and is very mechanical. Not very skilled at all.

He's got size which will allow him to play once in a while and get a rebound or putback. Like a much worse Glen Davis.

Now that doesn't mean he couldn't get a lot better in time, I just don't expect much next year.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #25
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
Apparently Jawai is coming to the NBA right away after all-...

Good find. Really hope the basketball side turns out ok - he's a good story.

And it looks like this turns out to be true:

Quote:
PF: Bosh, Bargnani, Humphries

C: O'Neil, Nathan Jawai, (Bargnani)
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: