Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
The Mamba
High School Starter

The Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this board
Default Team USA 2003 "Tournament of the Americas" : 10 - 0

Many people forget about Team USA 2003. This was the team that followed up the abysmal 2002 showing, which America finished 6th in the FIBA world championship. A team which was comprised of: Ben Wallace, Michael Finely, Baron Davis, Jermaine O'Neal, Paul Pierce ... yuck. Anyway, this team went 10 - 0, and met with Argentina twice. The first time they won by 2, and in the final game... they absolutely blasted Argentina 106 - 73. This team, IMO, was one of the better ones put together. It was the only team that has featured Tracy McGrady, who was incredible for Team USA that summer. I remember one play against Puerto Rico, where McGrady was getting elbowed again and again by a Puerto Rican ball handler, and McGrady was taking the shots to the chest and then the chin. Suddely, McGrady uses his long arms ... slaps the ball away from the player, goes all the way down court looks back and holds the ball out for the player. Then dunks it. It was one of the most hilarious moments in World basketball I have ever seen. Right afterwards Mc and the guy got into a scuffle when Mac was comming back up the court, and VC came in and helped out his cuz. It was an awesome moment. But, what I was trying to say was ... that team was probably the best USA team since 1992. Their level of competition was way more stiff than anything from '92 - 2002, and yet they still dominated, even the best of teams. I'm hoping we can back to that once we get in these medal rounds, starting tonight.

This post is serving as a tribute to that team, and wondering if anyone else here watched them play? And do you have any found memories? The scary thing is, the team was supposed to have Kobe on it.. but he had the knee and shoulder surgery, so VC took his spot. The team could've been even more dominating. Here was their roster:
Jason Kidd / Allen Iverson / Mike Bibby
Ray Allen / Vince Carter
Tracy McGrady / Richard Jefferson
Jermaine O'Neal / Kenyon Martin / Nick Collison
Tim Duncan / Elton Brand

To me, that is one of the better built FIBA basketball teams we have seen, and should be a pattern for future ones. It has a mix of distributing PGs, people who can move w/o the ball, slashers, shooters, defenders, big men. Very good lineup if you ask me. Would've been even more dominating if Kobe got to play.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

The even better part was that Karl Malone was supposed to be on it as his curtain call from international competition....but was then replaced by Kenyon Martin...

Anyways, Mike Bibby was the true cog that made that team run, not Jason Kidd.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
The Mamba
High School Starter

The Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this board

Yeah, Bibby helped out a ton.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

Argentina sucked that year, they also lost to Mexico and Venezuela in that tournament. Almost Brasil, too.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Shaq, Hakeem, Drob, Pippen, Payton, Reggie, Dumars, Hill, Kemp, and so on from 96 were better than the 03 team. Not sure all of them were on it but I think so. I have a 96 dream team poster somewhere but dont feel like finding it.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Dumars was on the 1994 World Championships team, which dominated but were widely regarded as a black eye on USA Basketball due to their on court behavior(led mainly by Kemp, Mourning, Shaq, and Coleman).

However, it featured one of my favorite backcourt lineups. Reggie, Majerle, Price, Steve Smith, Dumars
Old 08-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
The Mamba
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
However, it featured one of my favorite backcourt lineups. Reggie, Majerle, Price, Steve Smith, Dumars
I forgot aout 1994. Mainly cause they aren't talked about for the way they acted. What did they do again? That backcourt is sick. They could all stand at th half court line and hit jumpers.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #8
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mamba
I forgot aout 1994. Mainly cause they aren't talked about for the way they acted. What did they do again? That backcourt is sick. They could all stand at th half court line and hit jumpers.

well, coleman/kemp/shaq/mourning were basically acting real immature. They were doing sh&t like dancing and crotch grabbing after dunks and basically cursing constantly.

Somebody (i think it was an australian player) said something along the lines of "there should be honor in playing a US team, and it should never be like this"
Old 08-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Shaq was showing out. He dominated(as he did everyone from about 92-03) but he was being disrespectful in ways. Which team was Larry Johnson on?
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
well, coleman/kemp/shaq/mourning were basically acting real immature. They were doing sh&t like dancing and crotch grabbing after dunks and basically cursing constantly.

Somebody (i think it was an australian player) said something along the lines of "there should be honor in playing a US team, and it should never be like this"

well when you are the MDE, you are entitled to doing that.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
Durant35
Banned

Durant35 is popular on this boardDurant35 is popular on this boardDurant35 is popular on this boardDurant35 is popular on this boardDurant35 is popular on this board
Default Re: Team USA 2003 "Tournament of the Americas" : 10 - 0

That was the best roster in 2003.
Durant35 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: