Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Soul Calibur iv

My buddy rented this last night and we were checking it out. I'm going over there tonight too, I'm sure we'll fiddle with it some more. He probably played some more after I left.

The create a soul is awesome. I wanted to mess with that for hours, but we spent a lot of time just experimenting with each others created characters to try to figure out the combos.

Mostly it's a pretty good game. I haven't played a fighting game since... probably Street Fighter II Turbo.... but I have a lot of problems with it..

First off, there should be some way to roll away from an opponent like you could in SFII. It sucks that all you can do is try to block when your opponent closes in and is pounding the $hit out of you.

I'm also miffed that you you to block instead of doing a simple counter. I realize there are some combo special move counters, but they should allow simple ones too... Example? When someone goes in for a high punch or kick, you should be able to go low and sweep the leg or something. Unfortunately, we had very limited success trying such moves.

Also, we found that different combos did different things depending on where you were at in relation to your opponent, which is annoying to say the least. Just when you think you've got a move down, it doesn't work when you need it most because you're either too far, or too close.

Lastly, we didn't get an instruction booklet, Blockbuster doesn't give those out anymore. The combo help guide was annoying as ****. Instead of just telling you a,b,x,y, they use a little combo icon, which are k,g,b,a. So you have to translate everything, which is annoying as ****. Because a actually is x I think, and b is actually y or some **** like that... it's annoying as hell.

I have some questions though:

I've never played SC games before. Is this the first installment with the create a soul feature?

Also, where is Vader? Do you have to unlock him?

How does the money system work? We started with an automatic 20,000. Maybe you have to earn more in story mode?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #17
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
First off, there should be some way to roll away from an opponent like you could in SFII. It sucks that all you can do is try to block when your opponent closes in and is pounding the $hit out of you.

You're absolutely right. Especially with sword fighting. You'd think people would feel better getting the hell out of the way rather than blocking a sword.

Quote:
I'm also miffed that you you to block instead of doing a simple counter. I realize there are some combo special move counters, but they should allow simple ones too... Example? When someone goes in for a high punch or kick, you should be able to go low and sweep the leg or something. Unfortunately, we had very limited success trying such moves.

It actually does work over here. THe main distinction I think is the mid/high attacks. High attacks will miff you when your crouching, mid attacks hit you.

Quote:
I've never played SC games before. Is this the first installment with the create a soul feature?

First introduced in SC3

Quote:
Also, where is Vader? Do you have to unlock him?

I'm assuming you're playing via a 360. I think Vader (or Yoda in my case) will be available via online download somewhere down the line.

Quote:
How does the money system work? We started with an automatic 20,000. Maybe you have to earn more in story mode?
Mathius[/quote]

Earn stuff in story, arcade, and tower of souls mode
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #18
i cant dunk
Kids at the park dunk on me

i cant dunk has an OK reputation so far

yea i got this game and i played it for like 6 hours straight. I'm trying to get the combos down and there is a hell of alot. right now i am stuck in the tower of souls on floor i think 33. I can't even get to the last person there because the first person most of the time kills my first guy.

what are your best characters. mine is nightmare, people think he is slow but dam he is powerful as hell. you can pretty much 3 hit someone.

also has anyone ever had a critical hit. I don't know but im playing the the guy with the grim reaper does something and chucks me into a portal that came from the gorwn and it says critical hit you lose.
i cant dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #19
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i played thre demo and Nightmare turns into a girl
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #20
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by i cant dunk
yea i got this game and i played it for like 6 hours straight. I'm trying to get the combos down and there is a hell of alot. right now i am stuck in the tower of souls on floor i think 33. I can't even get to the last person there because the first person most of the time kills my first guy.

what are your best characters. mine is nightmare, people think he is slow but dam he is powerful as hell. you can pretty much 3 hit someone.

also has anyone ever had a critical hit. I don't know but im playing the the guy with the grim reaper does something and chucks me into a portal that came from the gorwn and it says critical hit you lose.

I just hate tower of souls mode. Especially when trying to beat the challenges. It's especially annoying when you need to beat 3 opponents with limited time.

I think I'm pretty nasty with Sophitia. I've used Rafael in SC3 but I think he just blows so much this time.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: