Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default The Bench: Make or Break (during the regular season)

My thoughts on the bench

I believe we're leaving a lot of our bench on hope where we have to hope that Bargnani has to play well, Kapono somehow finds a way to get open, Roko Ukic to break down the defense, Will Solomon to be productive and Hump to do something extraordinary. I think of any year than in the past, we'll see more of a gel together of all the players than the 12 minute swap that Sam does after the first and third quarter. I think instead of the whole bench subbing, you'll see more of a gradual substitution pattern this year. At least, that is what is needed for us to get to the next level, not only for the players to come through, but also the coach with his understanding of the game.

Letís look further into the expectation for the Top 3 bench players (probable):

Bargnani - He has to take the next step in development for our bench to be something. He will be our 1st big man of the bench and most probably going to get 25-30 minutes a game and is going see time at C, PF and SF. His first pre-season stats look nice, and what is most impressive is the 9 rebounds, but we cannot get fooled. He has to put out a consistent effort on the glass and the Raptors discouraged him from taking 3-pointers during training camp for him to find other ways of scoring and get comfortable with it. I could care less about what he scores, I want to see him rebound around 6 or 7 a game and that is the most important improvement that we need to see from Bargnani. Rebounding and defensive awareness in general.

Kapono Ė Itíll be interesting which line-up he plays with the most. I actually expect to see a lineup of OíNeal, Bosh, Moon and Calderon playing with Kapono. When we signed Kapono, we heard so much of that he isnít the best defender man-to-man but heís a very good system defender. In his first year, he was never able to show his ability of being a solid system defender, but in his second year, he has OíNeal to back him and he should be returning to his 06-07 form, and he has to for our bench to have a reliable wing of the bench.

Ukic Ė This is the kid I was very high on when we drafted him. I saw many clips and caught a couple of games online and I saw him as a future starting PG of a team in the NBA. His development has been slow, and in his first year, heíll be thrown into the fire just like Calderon. He has very good size and he may look like a combo guard but he is very capable of playing the point. I think if he is brought around slowly, it will be the best for his development and the Raptors. As he gets more familiar with the NBA, heíll start earning his minutes, and we can save Calderon near the end of the season and make full use of him in the playoffs. (This will either look really good at the end of the year, or really bad).

I expect Solomon to play a little bit in the beginning of the year, and Hump will be doing what he usually does and his minutes will come sporadically. So, what do you guys think? Good analysis? Too much wishful thinking? Solid?
Let me know what you guys think and post your views on the bench...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Bench: Make or Break (during the regular season)

I am not worried about the frontcourt at all unless injuries happen. But that goes for any position. Bargnani and Humphries will be more than adequate backups IMO. Besides, O'Neal will be playing 30+ minutes per game and Bosh 35+. From everything I've been reading about Humphries, it sounds like he is going to be a VERY good value for the Raptors for the next couple years that he is signed for.

The backcourt is another story though. Adams and Kapono backing Parker up? That's scary. If Calderon can play 35 minutes per game and not get completely drained by the end of the season then I don't mind Solomon getting the other 13 minutes. I do wonder about Calderon's endurance though. I don't see Ukic being a factor at all this upcoming season. Hopefully that will change the following year.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I don't see Ukic being a factor at all this upcoming season. Hopefully that will change the following year.

I have the same feeling about Ukic, he's been semi on and way off during those international games. The only way he's getting playing time is when he shows improvement then he might get some minutes after all star break if not, he might not play at all unless he kills will soloman in practices.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

I am actually expecting something like:

JO, CB4, Kapono, AP and Jose as starters.

I agree and project Barges to come in at 3 - for 5 -10 minutes of relief especially if the other team is small - and get his blood up and head in the game so he rotates over to 5 and then 4. Barges gets 30 minutes + game.

Moon comes in off the bench I think. Tough to call now.

Kapono rotates to cover Parker when Barges comes in.

Soloman covers Jose until Uk...can get his shot corrected and speed up.

Humph comes in as the true 7 man purely for relief at 4/5 with Barges.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Defenitly Barganani needs to provew himself in the bench. That he'll be a worthy sixth man. If he doesnt show anything in the bench, he wont have a very good career.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
I am actually expecting something like:

JO, CB4, Kapono, AP and Jose as starters.

I agree and project Barges to come in at 3 - for 5 -10 minutes of relief especially if the other team is small - and get his blood up and head in the game so he rotates over to 5 and then 4. Barges gets 30 minutes + game.

Moon comes in off the bench I think. Tough to call now.

Kapono rotates to cover Parker when Barges comes in.

Soloman covers Jose until Uk...can get his shot corrected and speed up.

Humph comes in as the true 7 man purely for relief at 4/5 with Barges.

Moon has been playing with the first line all training camp
He will be starting at the 3 on opening night, whether he will remain a starter has yet to be determined, however, smitch seems set on moon at the 3
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

From preseason has Bargnani changes his offensive game or is it still the same. More 3's than you care to fancy.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Sam Mitchell actually banned him (don't know if that ban still exists now) from shooting 3's in training camp and preseason so he could get used to scoring in other ways.

His offensive game seems to be about the same, though he looks bigger and has done a decent job in the paint.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #9
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
From preseason has Bargnani changes his offensive game or is it still the same. More 3's than you care to fancy.
He has took a lot less threes, due to what Chambelain said about Mitchell banning him from shooting threes in practices. As a result his mid range jumper has looked better than it did last season and that is obviously good to see. I haven't seen much from him when it comes to post/interior play so I can't really comment on that area.

He has taken less threes and moved his game inside the arc, which is obviously a good thing.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: