Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Cigarette/sin taxes

For the record, I smoke around a pack a day. I drink plentifully. I do not have qualms with sin taxes. When there are healthier/cheaper alternatives, the pocketbook is one of, if not the, most obvious way to achieve a healthier lifestyle.

Indiana is potentially increasing the cigg tax by 62 cents. Fine, if you really want people to quit dying early and are willing to put any new taxes towards already outstanding debt. The problem I have with it is that here locally, these taxes are being used to fund healthcare and other programs while being pushed through with the alleged purpose of getting people to quit smoking. So, should this reasoning prove, well, reasonable, and people really do stop where does the funding continue to come from if not other new taxes? It's this type of short term governing that only looks towards the next election that disgusts me.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Fuhqueue
Pick and rofl offence

Default Re: Cigarette/sin taxes

Studies show demand for cigarettes is generally inelastic, tax revenues increase as a response to higher duties, even with a corresponding reduction in quantity demanded. Or, to illustrate diagramatically:

So as you can see, it's plain as day
Fuhqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
HisAirness
Reno's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhqueue
Studies show demand for cigarettes is generally inelastic, tax revenues increase as a response to higher duties, even with a corresponding reduction in quantity demanded. Or, to illustrate diagramatically:

LOL
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Legend of Josh
Banned

The government should implement a tax for homosexual conducts. If you're publically gay, and you get married to someone of the same sex maybe you should have to pay more in taxes annually. That way, everyone wins. The gays can exhange vows and the goverment can build new highways.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
For the record, I smoke around a pack a day. I drink plentifully. I do not have qualms with sin taxes. When there are healthier/cheaper alternatives, the pocketbook is one of, if not the, most obvious way to achieve a healthier lifestyle.

Indiana is potentially increasing the cigg tax by 62 cents. Fine, if you really want people to quit dying early and are willing to put any new taxes towards already outstanding debt. The problem I have with it is that here locally, these taxes are being used to fund healthcare and other programs while being pushed through with the alleged purpose of getting people to quit smoking. So, should this reasoning prove, well, reasonable, and people really do stop where does the funding continue to come from if not other new taxes? It's this type of short term governing that only looks towards the next election that disgusts me.

people won't stop smoking though... i mean, if you're at a pack a day, can you see yourself ever stopping? doubt it.

in canada cigs are pretty heavily taxed. i think its close to $10 a pack these days and it wasn't so long ago it was only like $6 i think (i have never smoked so i'm not 100% sure) but we do it mainly to fund our health care. most of these cig smokers end up in hospitals later in life and suck up a huge amount of free healthcare so it all works out.

probably would have legalized and heavily taxed weed by now if the US wasn't so dead-set against it.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
people won't stop smoking though... i mean, if you're at a pack a day, can you see yourself ever stopping? doubt it.

in canada cigs are pretty heavily taxed. i think its close to $10 a pack these days and it wasn't so long ago it was only like $6 i think (i have never smoked so i'm not 100% sure) but we do it mainly to fund our health care. most of these cig smokers end up in hospitals later in life and suck up a huge amount of free healthcare so it all works out.

probably would have legalized and heavily taxed weed by now if the US wasn't so dead-set against it.

So why can't Canada make up their own laws without US influence?

Oh I see, you're our little bit*h.

JK people...
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:

meh, I was a 2 pack a day smoker of pall mall unfiltereds and I quit.

Itd be interesting to see what canada would do with dope if the US didnt so heavily tie their foreign aid and international diplomacy to the war on drugs.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
vincentvangogh
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Dearest Theo:

Oh what awful news: The taxes on tobacco may be increasing! I wonder, will they also tax me further for absynthe?

And with paints already so expensive...

Such woe! I feel so famished, yet it was only two days ago that I last ate and emptied my bowel. Write back soon, dear brother, for my countenance grows dim without words from your pen to lift my spirits!

Also, if you could spare a few guilder I would be much obliged.

Last edited by vincentvangogh : 03-12-2009 at 01:36 PM.
vincentvangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
HAzE024
KRYPTONATE!

don't ***** - we're at $11 and rising here in NY.
HAzE024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
meh, I was a 2 pack a day smoker of pall mall unfiltereds and I quit.

Itd be interesting to see what canada would do with dope if the US didnt so heavily tie their foreign aid and international diplomacy to the war on drugs.

why did you quit?
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
why did you quit?

Yeah... that's weird why would someone quit smoking cancer sticks?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
TheGreatDeraj
Near-Life Experience

Quote:

funny shit man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAzE024
don't ***** - we're at $11 and rising here in NY.

Holy shit. That is a lot more expensive than I realized...it's only about $4 here in Georgia. I don't smoke, but a lot of my friends do. That's ridiculous I would just roll my own cigs.
TheGreatDeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
The Magic Man
Gots Ta Be Li Showtam!

Quote:

I think I just peed a little bit.
The Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: