Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default 2010 Draft

Its 363 days away now, on June 24 2010.

We will be in the Lottery, thats an obvious, however I am hoping that we will be lower in 2010 after improving this season and for a short time maybe even 2 months competing for a Playoff spot.

Once again PF is the primary option that we will have to adress in 2010, unless we make a move between then and now. But going on the assumption we dont have a PF I'd like to see us target Monroe(if he declares) or Favors(if he declares).
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Default Re: 2010 Draft

If we get the 5th-8th pick, Monroe should be our target, provided his stock doesn't rise too high. However, he should have been a top 5 pick this year and with another year, he should definitly be a top 5 or so pick next year.

Also, next year's draft has a number of solid PF's. We could even look at someone like Cousins.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
If we get the 5th-8th pick, Monroe should be our target, provided his stock doesn't rise too high. However, he should have been a top 5 pick this year and with another year, he should definitly be a top 5 or so pick next year.
I agree on Monroe, he has to improve and show dominance next season to raise his stock similar to what Blake Griffin did by returning for his Sophmore year, if not he might stick all 4 years, thats just the type of person he is.

But he wouldn't have been a Top 5 pick last year by the end of the tournament he was on the 6-14 range, and he wont test well at the combine. I know this after following his recruitment before he spurned Duke, hes not a jaw dropping athlete or has great strength yet but hes fairly athletic and has a developed skill of positioning in the post.

Quote:
Also, next year's draft has a number of solid PF's. We could even look at someone like Cousins.
Cousins is a C, I'd be shocked if he is viewed as a PF.
He doesnt run the court well, gets tired quickly, and plays with such lazyness on the court that as a fan you would probably be angry with him.

But he finishes so strong at the basket and the potential is there for him to be better.

Next year will be the year of the PF, with possibly 9 going in the Top 20.

A name for you to keep a look out for is Kenneth Faried, from Morehead State.
The play-in game was impressive and the announcers talked a lot about him and that he could have declared in 09', but I thought it before they even started talking about the comparisons between Faried & Rodman, its absolutely undeniable.

Faried could be the next Rodman.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
I agree on Monroe, he has to improve and show dominance next season to raise his stock similar to what Blake Griffin did by returning for his Sophmore year, if not he might stick all 4 years, thats just the type of person he is.

But he wouldn't have been a Top 5 pick last year by the end of the tournament he was on the 6-14 range, and he wont test well at the combine. I know this after following his recruitment before he spurned Duke, hes not a jaw dropping athlete or has great strength yet but hes fairly athletic and has a developed skill of positioning in the post.
Monroe may not test well at the combine, but his knowledge for the game is incredibly high. He's a very smart player.

Considering how quickly the likes of Curry and Evans climbed the draft boards this year, Monroe may have been around the 8-10 spot. But personally, I would have taken him anywhere from 2-6.

Quote:
Cousins is a C, I'd be shocked if he is viewed as a PF.
He doesnt run the court well, gets tired quickly, and plays with such lazyness on the court that as a fan you would probably be angry with him.

But he finishes so strong at the basket and the potential is there for him to be better.

Next year will be the year of the PF, with possibly 9 going in the Top 20.
I don't know much about Cousins. I thought he was a PF/C type combo player. Am I correct in assuming he has good hands for big man? I was under the impression he did? He's definitly got good size, looks a little chubby though.

Quote:
A name for you to keep a look out for is Kenneth Faried, from Morehead State.
The play-in game was impressive and the announcers talked a lot about him and that he could have declared in 09', but I thought it before they even started talking about the comparisons between Faried & Rodman, its absolutely undeniable.

Faried could be the next Rodman
I just went and checked his stats and his rebounding per40 is damn impressive. He was getting 17.3 rebounds per 40, with 5.7 offensive boards per 40.

Blake Griffin averaged 17.3 rp40 with 4.4 orp40 and Blair had 18.1 rp40 with 8.8 orp40. So, Faried is definitly no stranger to the boards.

I look forward to watching this guy.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

We are making the playoffs mark it down.

Mayo is about to takeover this league we call the NBA, brace yourselfs hold on or you will be left behind.
O.J A 6'4Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

Think about what it says about the organization when a fans (including myself) speculate on next years draft the day after rather than dream and hope about the playoffs.

These fans are logical. This organization is illogical. And so are the fans who think OJ gets us into the playoffs this year. Barring an incredible FA offseason, our odds at getting into the playoffs are about as bad as last year.

So 6'4 Mamba, lets look at who will get into the playoffs and tell us which teams the Grizz will be better than next year.

1. LA Lakers
2. Denver Nuggets
3. San Antonio Spurs
4. Portland Trail Blazers
5. Dallas Mavericks
6. Houston Rockets
7. Utah Jazz
8. New Orleans Hornets
9. Oklahoma City Thunder
10. Golden State Warriors

These 10 teams at least look to be better than the Grizz next year not to mention teams with unknown futures like the Phoenix Suns and comparable teams like Minnesota and Sacramento.

I'm sorry but even with 30 ppg from O.J. we are going to have to do an insane amount of improving to even compete for the 8th spot.
J-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Memphis
Think about what it says about the organization when a fans (including myself) speculate on next years draft the day after rather than dream and hope about the playoffs.

These fans are logical. This organization is illogical. And so are the fans who think OJ gets us into the playoffs this year. Barring an incredible FA offseason, our odds at getting into the playoffs are about as bad as last year.

So 6'4 Mamba, lets look at who will get into the playoffs and tell us which teams the Grizz will be better than next year.

1. LA Lakers
2. Denver Nuggets
3. San Antonio Spurs
4. Portland Trail Blazers
5. Dallas Mavericks
6. Houston Rockets
7. Utah Jazz
8. New Orleans Hornets
9. Oklahoma City Thunder
10. Golden State Warriors

These 10 teams at least look to be better than the Grizz next year not to mention teams with unknown futures like the Phoenix Suns and comparable teams like Minnesota and Sacramento.

I'm sorry but even with 30 ppg from O.J. we are going to have to do an insane amount of improving to even compete for the 8th spot.
I dont want to be extremely negative but there is a 33% chance we finish at the bottom of the Western Conference next season.

Sacramento in my opinion jumped over us and it would take an injury filled season for them to be worse, so currently it looks like it will be Memphis vs Phoenix vs Minnesota to finish at the bottom, we will get the worst of it because we play in the toughest division in basketball with 4 Championship contenders.

Memphis will be good and I like how we're building but the way we finished last season shows me we are a long ways away from even being able to talk about the Playoffs.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Monroe may not test well at the combine, but his knowledge for the game is incredibly high. He's a very smart player.

Considering how quickly the likes of Curry and Evans climbed the draft boards this year, Monroe may have been around the 8-10 spot. But personally, I would have taken him anywhere from 2-6.
I agree, but Monroe has to show the dominating ability in the college ranks before he declares. Right now hes a very good young player, but can you expect him to go for 20/10 immediately in the NBA? Can you even expect him to go for 20/10 in college?

He is one of the few guys who wants to improve in college before heading to the NBA, thats what a lot of people like about him and why I didnt expect him to come out early and he himself didnt even consider coming out.

Quote:
I don't know much about Cousins. I thought he was a PF/C type combo player. Am I correct in assuming he has good hands for big man? I was under the impression he did? He's definitly got good size, looks a little chubby though.
Hes more of a C than PF, just based on his role on the court and how he positions himself defensively looking for the block rather than actually defending. Cousins finishes strong at the basket, if you throw it up he'll get it and slam it down The player you're thinking about with the very good hands for a big man is probably Renardo Sidney.

Unfortunately for both they play extremely lazy, Cousins plays lazy on both ends back when he was considering Memphis I watched 4 of his games and when in the half court he did nothing but stand still and wait to get the ball and dunk. While Sidney did like what Melo did by taking off on defense to play on offense.

Back to Cousins, hes a very good player but some might wonder if the weak competition he faced in HS overrated him, he also disappeared in some games on the AAU circuit and in some All Star games facing equally highly ranked talent.

We'll see what KFC does for him, but his role may not warrant him enough touches to come out early but everything about him suggests he will no matter what.

Quote:
I just went and checked his stats and his rebounding per40 is damn impressive. He was getting 17.3 rebounds per 40, with 5.7 offensive boards per 40.

Blake Griffin averaged 17.3 rp40 with 4.4 orp40 and Blair had 18.1 rp40 with 8.8 orp40. So, Faried is definitly no stranger to the boards.

I look forward to watching this guy.
Hopefully ESPN doesn't **** with us this year, they should at least put some of the games on to watch Kenneth grab boards. Rebounding is just a convenient stat now, but there are some players who grab so many boards you actually are watching to see how many they grab when they play.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
I agree, but Monroe has to show the dominating ability in the college ranks before he declares. Right now hes a very good young player, but can you expect him to go for 20/10 immediately in the NBA? Can you even expect him to go for 20/10 in college?

He is one of the few guys who wants to improve in college before heading to the NBA, thats what a lot of people like about him and why I didnt expect him to come out early and he himself didnt even consider coming out.
I like that he wants to improve his game in college before taking on the pros. It shows real determination rather than just jumping for the paycheck (see Mullens this year). If he can have a good season at G'Town, it doesn't even have to be dominant (because that's not the player he is), then he should be a top pick next year, or maybe the year after, if he still feels he needs to improve.

Quote:
Hes more of a C than PF, just based on his role on the court and how he positions himself defensively looking for the block rather than actually defending. Cousins finishes strong at the basket, if you throw it up he'll get it and slam it down The player you're thinking about with the very good hands for a big man is probably Renardo Sidney.

Unfortunately for both they play extremely lazy, Cousins plays lazy on both ends back when he was considering Memphis I watched 4 of his games and when in the half court he did nothing but stand still and wait to get the ball and dunk. While Sidney did like what Melo did by taking off on defense to play on offense.

Back to Cousins, hes a very good player but some might wonder if the weak competition he faced in HS overrated him, he also disappeared in some games on the AAU circuit and in some All Star games facing equally highly ranked talent.

We'll see what KFC does for him, but his role may not warrant him enough touches to come out early but everything about him suggests he will no matter what.
Sidney, yes that could have been who I was thinking of. Both are pretty damn big guys and are rather lazy. Sidney is going to Miss. State right? I liked that team when they had Charles Rhodes, I kind of lost interest once he left. Sidney and Vanardo should be interesting to watch.

Does Sidney actually have a nice touch from outside, or does he wish he does? Because I continuely hear about him shooting a lot of threes.

Quote:
Hopefully ESPN doesn't **** with us this year, they should at least put some of the games on to watch Kenneth grab boards. Rebounding is just a convenient stat now, but there are some players who grab so many boards you actually are watching to see how many they grab when they play.
I've got a couple of Bulls games on DVD, where Rodman grabs a ridiculous amount of boards. One game he had 29, another game he had 27 and in the other I think he had 21.

I now only watch those DVDs just to watch Rodman grab rebounds. I also just skip over the game when he's not it.

It's also the same reason I got the first and second game of the season for Memphis on DVD, when Arthur grabbed 15 boards in the first and 10 (I think) in the second.

Another thing that stood out when I checked Faried's stats, was that he had 25 double doubles. How many did Griffin have? 30, was it? Not bad for Faried.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
I like that he wants to improve his game in college before taking on the pros. It shows real determination rather than just jumping for the paycheck (see Mullens this year). If he can have a good season at G'Town, it doesn't even have to be dominant (because that's not the player he is), then he should be a top pick next year, or maybe the year after, if he still feels he needs to improve.
Mullens left because his family was homeless, I am not kidding. They mentioned how he spent times throughout his childhood living in a homeless shelter.

Another thing I like about Monroe is that at least he has goals for college, I think his goal is to win a National Championship by the end of his Junior season and without early defections and a strong recruiting class in 2010 that could be possible.

I think with the depth at the 4 position next year, he must have a dominant season to rise above the rest.

With 1st Round, possible Lottery talent you're looking at:
Kenneth Faried
Craig Brackins
Jajuan Johnson
Derrick Favors
John Henson
Donuts
Milton Jennings
Patrick Patterson
Renardo Sidney
Gani Lawal
Ed Davis
Rashanti Harris
Jaymicheal Green

Everyone wont enter but that is serious talent you have to seperate yourself from.

Quote:
Sidney, yes that could have been who I was thinking of. Both are pretty damn big guys and are rather lazy. Sidney is going to Miss. State right? I liked that team when they had Charles Rhodes, I kind of lost interest once he left. Sidney and Vanardo should be interesting to watch.

Does Sidney actually have a nice touch from outside, or does he wish he does? Because I continuely hear about him shooting a lot of threes.
Sidney may not go to Mississippi State, they're currently investigating his eligibility or if he had violated it due to his father having some type of paid job by Reebok to coach an AAU team that Sidney played for.
Thats what I've heard.

Sidney is erratic like that, He has a nice touch from outside though but he doesnt realize that it makes more sense to work on your shooting in practice instead of trying them out in a game, Big Baby did that and now his mid range shot is effective.

Quote:
I've got a couple of Bulls games on DVD, where Rodman grabs a ridiculous amount of boards. One game he had 29, another game he had 27 and in the other I think he had 21.

I now only watch those DVDs just to watch Rodman grab rebounds. I also just skip over the game when he's not it.

It's also the same reason I got the first and second game of the season for Memphis on DVD, when Arthur grabbed 15 boards in the first and 10 (I think) in the second.

Another thing that stood out when I checked Faried's stats, was that he had 25 double doubles. How many did Griffin have? 30, was it? Not bad for Faried.
Yeah rebounding is very impressive when you can grab so many espescially if you really arent a factor scoring the ball on offense, so people essentially are watching you on the court to see you do your role.

If you can rebound very well, you will last very long in the NBA if you're a somewhat undersized big man.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
jailer
MillionDollarException

Its a little early to start guessig and evaluating the picks for next year.

But I would say either monroe or cole aldrich.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #12
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Mullens left because his family was homeless, I am not kidding. They mentioned how he spent times throughout his childhood living in a homeless shelter.

Another thing I like about Monroe is that at least he has goals for college, I think his goal is to win a National Championship by the end of his Junior season and without early defections and a strong recruiting class in 2010 that could be possible.

I think with the depth at the 4 position next year, he must have a dominant season to rise above the rest.

With 1st Round, possible Lottery talent you're looking at:
Kenneth Faried
Craig Brackins
Jajuan Johnson
Derrick Favors
John Henson
Donuts
Milton Jennings
Patrick Patterson
Renardo Sidney
Gani Lawal
Ed Davis
Rashanti Harris
Jaymicheal Green

Everyone wont enter but that is serious talent you have to seperate yourself from.
I knew Mullens needed the money, but I didn't realise it was that bad. I surely don't blame him. A garunteed contract worth a sh!t load of cash and he doesn't even have to put on a uniform yet.

Yeah, Monroe's mentality is a great thing. A dominant season will definitly put him above all of those players, but like you say, it is a touch pack to break away from.

Quote:
Sidney may not go to Mississippi State, they're currently investigating his eligibility or if he had violated it due to his father having some type of paid job by Reebok to coach an AAU team that Sidney played for.
Thats what I've heard.

Sidney is erratic like that, He has a nice touch from outside though but he doesnt realize that it makes more sense to work on your shooting in practice instead of trying them out in a game, Big Baby did that and now his mid range shot is effective.
Yeah, I remember reading something about that awhile ago, I didn't really pay attention to it.

Wasn't Sidney also not allowed to play in a certain conference due to his grades? It may have been Sidney, but it might have been someone else.

Quote:
Yeah rebounding is very impressive when you can grab so many espescially if you really arent a factor scoring the ball on offense, so people essentially are watching you on the court to see you do your role.

If you can rebound very well, you will last very long in the NBA if you're a somewhat undersized big man.
Undersized rebounders are always fantastic to watch. They seem to have a much greater desire to chase down the ball and do a lot just to get it.

I love seeing guys scrambling through everyone to get the rebound, whilst some other players really couldn't care. It really does show how hard players are willing to work when they show how much they want the ball, especially on the offensive boards.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: