Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
miniharrison37
"Go Big or Go Home"

miniharrison37 has an OK reputation so far
Default Draft Age Minimum

As of right now a player must only attend college for a minimum of just 1 year. Some people say that's fine, some people say they should have to attend more years than just 1. Thoughts?
miniharrison37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
allstarsteven
I airball my layups

allstarsteven has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Draft Age Minimum

i dont think college should be required at all
allstarsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

I think the rule is culturally biased and unfair. There are some players that come straight from HS that bust and others that blossom.

I know some people are going to say that they ruin the league but with the D-league and veteran bums stinking up benches across the NBA I don't see how those points are valid.

The NCAA just wants to make money off the backs of these athletes....I commend Brandon Jennings on going overseas...if you don't want to play college ball; you shouldn't have to.

No other sport [besides football....a sport in which teens would literally get maimed/killed] do they make kids go to college before turning pro.

Basketball is big business and a lot of slimeballs make major coin off of these kids....can't blame them for not wanting to be pimped.

Last edited by Go Getter : 04-20-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
allstarsteven
I airball my layups

allstarsteven has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
I think the rule is culturally biased and unfair. There are some players that come straight from HS that bust and others that blossom.

I know some people are going to say that they ruin the league but with the D-league and veteran bums stinking up benches across the NBA I don't see how those points are valid.

The NCAA just wants to make money off the backs of these athletes....I commend Brandon Jennings on going overseas...if you don't want to play college ball; you shouldn't have to.

No other sport [besides football....a port in which teens would get killed] do they make kids go to college before turning pro.

Basketball is big business and a lot of slimeballs make major coin off of these kids....can't blame them for not wanting to be pimped.

true dat
allstarsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
Maize'N'Blue
Super Yooper

Maize'N'Blue has an OK reputation so far

I think let them skip college altogether or if they decide to go to college, they need to stay 2 years.
Maize'N'Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize'N'Blue
I think let them skip college altogether or if they decide to go to college, they need to stay 2 years.

for what?

College is supposed to prepare you for your career.

If a player/person wants to go to college for one year or five years it should be up to that man not some old bag of bones in a suit.

These players are people with real life problems and families...the reasons for them going to college or going pro are varied. It's not my business, the NBA's, or the NCAA's business to tell them what to do with their lives.

No one made Sidney Crosby go to college before playing pro ball...no one tells MLB to let those Cubans and Dominicans to go to college before they sign them to pro contracts.

Why should basketball players get treated any different?

Oh yeah, because they sell more shoes and jerseys and products than other sports....and the NCAA wants to pimp them.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
miniharrison37
"Go Big or Go Home"

Quote:
for what?

If a player/person wants to go to college for one year or five years it should be up to that man not some old bag of bones in a suit.

These players are people with real life problems and families...the reasons for them going to college or going pro are varied. It's not my business, the NBA's, or the NCAA's business to tell them what to do with their lives.

No one made Sidney Crosby go to college before playing pro ball...no one tells MLB to let those Cubans and Dominicans to go to college before they sign them to pro contracts.

Oh yeah, because they sell more shoes and jerseys and products than other sports....and the NCAA wants to pimp them.

Very well said man.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #8
Go Getter
Wild 100's

John Wall is better than most backup NBA point guards this year but he had to risk his pro career and put his dream of playing in the NBA on hold for the sake of the NCAA?

Why should he even care about the NCAA?

Why did he even have to get into bed with a sleezeball like Calipari?

The education argument is old and very very stupid...if you can make 10 million dollars before college you'd be an idiot not to take it.

Colleges will always be there for those who want to take advantage of them....but 10 mil will not always be on the table.

and some of these athletes aren't college material....but, we'd have them take the spot of someone who is a good student or student/athlete just so they can make money for some program that doesn't give a **** about the kids....and when some reporter finds out that they had help with schooL/tests [with the help of the university/coaches/boosters] or that they took money from an agent/booster the ATHLETE/kid gets into trouble and has their name sullied while the coaches and NCAA suffer no/little consequences
Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
BeeClips
I airball my layups

BeeClips has an OK reputation so far

College will help mature the player and even if they don't get paid for that year, everything they need is paid for by the college. Dont worry, the money they earn from the rookie contract is more than most of us will make in our entire lives. Plus, the college game needs some of those stars to cheer for/against.

Does anyone have a rough estimate of the ratio of sraight-from-HS players that busted VS those that actually became stars in the league?

I think the less academically-inclined players who want to pass on the college game will emulate what Jennings did. It still helps them mature as people and players and is a legit alternative to develop better players for the NBA.
BeeClips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

The years-between High School/NBA rule is more likely to be increased to 3 years than to be abolished, mostly for marketing, not maturity or any of that "student-athlete" nonsense from all of those NCAA commercials.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
miniharrison37
"Go Big or Go Home"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
The years-between High School/NBA rule is more likely to be increased to 3 years than to be abolished, mostly for marketing, not maturity or any of that "student-athlete" nonsense from all of those NCAA commercials.
Haha yes very true. "Student-athlete nonsense from all those NCAA Commercials".
Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
Maize'N'Blue
Super Yooper

Maize'N'Blue has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
for what?

I'm just getting sick of all these one-and-dones, so whatever stops that is fine by me.
Maize'N'Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:34 AM   #13
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The College rule should be thrown out. Age should be thrown out. Heck, if a player is NBA caliber at the age of 16, there is no reason why the NBA should hold them back.

If anything, the NBA could capitalize on expansion of it's business with D-League and other programs to get some of these kids off the streets.

If players are too dumb to play in the NBA, what would college do for them anyways? Lower the bar for them, and give them a free-pass degree? Yeah, that's not fair. You don't need to be a NASA scientist to play a sport, just commited and possibly gifted.

Let the players choose. If the NBA is worried about having to many young players at the door, make them pay to prove themselves. Certainly if someone is poor, and can't afford to get in early, someone would sponsor them if they are good enough. One way or another, liberty works itself out naturally.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: