Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #31
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Sixers officially fire coach Eddie Jordan

Whenever a coaching job is open Larry Brown will be mentioned. His family being here? Eh, I look at it like this. Even if Brown was here how much difference does it make when it comes to his family? He is only going to be playing home games 41 times. Rest of the games he is away. You factor practice and preparation and he is away some more. Then you're back to Larry Brown when he tells reporters he is retiring because he misses spending time with his family. He misses this that and the third.

Also with Charlotte he is building them from the ground up to the team he wants. That team has the Larry Brown stamp on it. He doesnt stay in 1 place too long but I cant think of a time he bailed early on a franchise after starting to rebuild it to go elsewhere. Sorry the NYK situation does not count.

Anyone who comes here? Has to make defense a top priority in a big way. You look at these surprising teams like OKC, Charlotte, Milw? They all play good team defense. All of them. Bring defense here because this team didnt.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #32
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Much as I'd like to see Brown return, I can't envision it happening. That roster is awful and, because of the stupidity that reigned supreme and signed the likes of Brand, Dalembert and Iguodala to long term deals, the next coach is stuck with it.

Worst of all...worse than overpaying mediocre talent (Iguodala), worse than overpaying players that are the worst possible fit for your "system" (Brand), worse than thinking you can teach a stiff to play the game at the NBA level (Dalembert)...this team quit during the second half this season. Just flat out quit on Jordan. Once guys have shown the lack of pride and professionalism required to tank like this bunch has, you never know when it's going to resurface.

Brown won't put himself in a situation where he's powerless, and the way they lifted their skirts the last 2 months has impacted the value of every player on the roster with the exception of Holliday and a couple of the other kids.

This franchise is in worse shape than when it went 9-73. It is perilously close to being the worst franchise in the game, and it could be that way for a long time.

As a lifer of 45+ years, and a guy who spent a couple years deeply involved with the franchise, I couldn't be more embarassed.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #33
golddigger31
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
Time to break this roster up and rebuild.
Sixers are awful.

Expect them to be a little more awful until they find a solid coach.
golddigger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #34
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
Why do you like Jordan as a coach?

He has his flaws, but I feel with the right team he could become a consistent winner in this league.

He has gotten handed some immature teams both in Washington and his 1 year with Philly (and considering some of the circumstances there, its hard to read too much into him as a coach for their record). But I think on a team with maturity and leadership in the roster as well as talent...he could be great. He will try to hold players accountable, and I like that he has a system that his players can refer to when things go out of whack. And on most teams that can be a great benefit when things get out of order. He obviously did some very good things in Washington, with what I don't think was all that good a team and probably only got fired due to injuries. But I think his role with the Nets success as the top assistant goes overlooked also.

He'll get another shot somewhere, and hopefully he makes the best of it. I wish he'd become an assistant with Denver in sorta a offensive coordinator role, and ultimately take over. hell I wouldn't be all that mad if he just took over.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #35
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Eddie Jordan is like a good car salesman. He's a great communicator and knows how to sell his product, he just knows little about it.

WORD

And where did Eddie Jordan coach previously , and where did those teams go to ?

(I think this was a blessing for Jordan , he needs to go do what he does best and that is be an assistant coach)
If he does , I think he will be a top 3 assistant in the league again.
============
Avery Johnson has been out of coaching to long , I see him getting a job for next season , and would not doubt him being signed before July.
76'ers would be smart to get him , but I have a sneaky feeling he might land in LA for the clippers or an assistant for Nellie again in Golden State for 3 months and then Nellie bows out.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #36
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Philly shoulda kept Jim O'Brien. Great coach, should make him a shady under the table offer to get him to leave Indy.
O'Brien's gotta be the only coach who can be hired, improve a team by 10 wins, and then be fired.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #37
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
He has his flaws, but I feel with the right team he could become a consistent winner in this league.

He has gotten handed some immature teams both in Washington and his 1 year with Philly (and considering some of the circumstances there, its hard to read too much into him as a coach for their record). But I think on a team with maturity and leadership in the roster as well as talent...he could be great. He will try to hold players accountable, and I like that he has a system that his players can refer to when things go out of whack. And on most teams that can be a great benefit when things get out of order. He obviously did some very good things in Washington, with what I don't think was all that good a team and probably only got fired due to injuries. But I think his role with the Nets success as the top assistant goes overlooked also.

He'll get another shot somewhere, and hopefully he makes the best of it. I wish he'd become an assistant with Denver in sorta a offensive coordinator role, and ultimately take over. hell I wouldn't be all that mad if he just took over.

He'll probably get another shot; it's a pretty incestuous business. But Jordan flat-out did a bad job in Philly.

Teams with maturity, leadership and talent are rare. Even more rare are teams like that in need of a coaching change.

He didn't hold players accountable in Philly. Case in point is Dalembert, whose lateness and poor practice habits went unaddressed and unfined.

The problem with his variation on the Princeton offense...or any different offensive scheme...is selling it to NBA players. Unless a coach has a track record of success, players won't buy in. And they must buy in 100% for that approach to work.

Jordan has nothing to sell now. His concept, and the marginal success he had with a good roster in Washington, don't bode well for his future opportunities.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #38
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Discipline and defense were sorely lacking with this Sixers bunch. Samuel Dalembert is such a chump. That story was disturbing to read.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #39
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

I dont think that there is much he could have done... if for no other reason then he got yanked around at the beginning with the whole A.I. thing.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: