Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Marv_Albert
GUESS WHO'S BACK

Marv_Albert has an OK reputation so far
Default Those Stupid Mistakes

Post some of your worst ever or recent mistakes you made in basketball, few months ago dunno what I was thinking had a brain moment where we were up by 5 with 6 seconds to go pg inbounded it he was double teamed, passed it to me I was over half court he was running and I passed it back to him behind the halfway for an over and back giving the team another possession...they didnt score but damn it was stupid hahaha.
Marv_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Those Stupid Mistakes

I'm surprised I haven't seen that yet... I mean sure it's a boneheaded play, but it's not that bad. I can see how in a pressure situation like that you could have a mental lapse and do that.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
just chill
Can barely lace up my sneakers

just chill has an OK reputation so far

Well the first time i want to the YMCA i was playing with huge people (they were dunking) and we played 4 on 4 halfcourt and i passed it to a guy on the other team smdh but i made the winning shot afte i stole the ball
just chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Everybody has passed it to the wrong guy when playing a pick up game... everybody in reg clothes... too confusing sometimes. There is always some guy on the other team who stayed back calling for the ball basically every time I play.... So it's happened to me a few times.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
just chill

Lol swag im gonna start doing that as a game plan
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

I was playing with a bunch of scrubs and decided to play a wing when I should have just stood under the basket to rebound and use my height to score easy buckets.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by just chill
Lol swag im gonna start doing that as a game plan

smart ass
Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far

I've got a great story of a hilarious mistake made by one of my good friends.

I have a friend named Lavon, who's a black guy, but he's not your standard ghetto Black guy. He's a hardworking, studious, serious type who is a generally chill and intelligent guy. This made it even more hilarious when we all made fun of him for weeks after it happened.

So anyways, we were playing in a league about 3 years ago, he was one of our main roleplayers. (Very high level league, 5 college players on my team including myself.) He's not a great player overall, but he's a great roleplayer. (Plays Small Forward, Excellent defender, athletic, hits open jumpers, makes his layups, but doesn't really have a good ability to create for himself... maybe like a Tony Allen type guy.)

So anyways, the game was going down to the wire, we were down one with about a minute to go, I made a layup, and they got the ball on offense down by a point with about 40 seconds left. They took a shot, missed it, we got the rebound with about 25 seconds left on the clock. We had possession and were up one with 25 seconds left. Usual Game plan: Get me the ball and have me hold it: I'm a 90+% FT Shooter. Lavon got the ball around halfcourt, and a double team came his way. I was literally standing 5 feet away from him, and he could have just shoveled the ball right to me. He looked right at me, we locked eyes, and then I stared in amazement as he aggressively and recklessly attacked the double-team. He tried to split through it, but they kept the pressure up, and he kept dribbling down the court at full speed. He got to around our 3-point line on the right side, they cut him off, and a THIRD defender was coming from the FT line extended. For some still unknown reason, with us still Up one with 15 seconds left Lavon made the most hilarious decision I have ever seen on a basketball court. He was double teamed, he went full speed to his right, was met by two defenders, did a full-speed COMPLETE SPIN MOVE with a Pivot to his left, right into the third defender that was coming to help, and decided to shoot a full speed sideways-fading fadeaway jump shot while triple teamed and us up by a point with 15 seconds left.

Needless to say, he missed the shot badly, and the other team had two chances to win the game. They missed a shot, then they tipped it out of bounds, so we had the possession with 3 seconds left. My other team-mate saw someone all the way across the court, so he decided to throw a 70 foot lob pass down the court. Unfortunately for us, we were playing at PowerHouse Gym, which has a myriad of pipes hanging from the ceiling. The ball hit a pipe on the ceiling, and the other team got another possession. They missed again, and the game was over, but I thought that was arguably the funniest end-game I have ever witnessed in my life, and my team was part of it. XD

-We ended up winning the Championship that season, I got two trophies, one for being "All-Time leading Playmaker" of Powerhouse League, (whatever that means), and of course the Powerhouse Champions trophy.

Now our team is all split up though, even though we were all good friends. Two of my team-mates went on to play serious 4 year college basketball, one of whom dominated (Averaged 17/7 shooting 63% from the field at Univ. of Hawaii @ Hilo) and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing professionally somewhere overseas. My buddy Lavon moved back to downtown L.A. and lives with his family over there. My best friend on the team, our shooter, is a major drug dealer in the area now so he doesn't really hoop anymore. Our little spark plug, (5'10 but could smash like CRAZY, through the legs was easy for him.....unfortunately other than raw athleticism he had little basketball ability) tried to play Junior College Ball but it didn't work out. Our veteran on the team (A buddy of mine, in his early 30's) got hit hard. His girlfriend died in a car accident and due to him being down, he got fired from his art job due to "decreased productivity" Our other shooter ended up playing for Los Angeles Valley College and I haven't seen or heard from him in a little while, but he's still around the area.

This was my favorite team that I ever played on, because we were all basically best friends. I would get us together in a league again, but... those guys are all broke as hell. I had to put $300 out of my own pocket to cover all their league fees and most of them have not paid me back. But it's all good, those were fun times with some really cool people. If we see Lavon again, that will be the first thing we mention! XD
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
just chill

lol ..
Old 04-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
My best friend on the team, our shooter, is a major drug dealer in the area now so he doesn't really hoop anymore

You sure have good taste in friends

I didn't really find the story that funny... I'd be kinda pissed at him lol. I like how you gave us the post league bio of your teammates ha... that's kind of epic.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:32 AM   #11
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, it's funny that my best friend became a drug dealer. He was really normal when we were growing up, he did really well in school, had like a 3.6 GPA up until 10th grade and was always super chill. But growing up in the Reseda Ghettos has the ability to change you. He's still super cool, he just makes a lot of money selling drugs now, instead of having a real job... which is just a personal choice.

Oh, I don't take basketball seriously to that point either in rec leagues, it's not like it was playoffs or anything. We're a competitive bunch, but we still have a lot of fun. Basketball is meant to be played for fun, right? =D

The part that was funny was seeing the action in motion, and the situation. It still gives my friends and I a laugh whenever we talk about it! =D
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
AJ2k8
Banned

AJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Managed to remember a recent mistake (only last week)... Anyway the team i play in is very casual and usually contains no game plan or set of plays, we just take the ball up the court and hope for the best. Anyway we've started to take things a lil more serious this season because we've entered for a full season whereas last season we entered half way through..

To the point, me and my mate weren't quite on the same page one trip down the court. Basically i thought we were going to run a post up play for our big man and dribbled to the 45, my mate on the other hand (Auka, posts on ISH occasionally) ran from the corner to me and around me thinking i was gonna do a dribble hand off to him. So basically he tried to take the ball as i was looking to set up the big man which ended up in a rather strange looking turnover.
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sounds like a clichè way to begin a story but. . .we were up by one with three minutes left and I caught the ball on the right wing. I stand 6'3'', but I was being guarded by a player on a switch who was likely no taller than 5'8''. Further, he was sitting down in a low defensive stance.

Still for reasons absolutely unknown, I got the idea to ball fake a pass over the top of his head. I guess ideally he'd turn around like a small child in one of those, "Hey, where'd the ball go?" moments. Again, no reason whatsoever as to why I'd attempt this play, but of course I tried anyhow. I slowly (in my mind I was going to do this much quicker) ball faked over my opponents' noggin. And what does he do next? Well, he stands upright and jars the ball loose, leaving me behind and opening up a two-on-one fast break.

Out of pure shame and terror, I chased down the little fellow and blocked his lay up attempt off his own face and we regained possession. It should have been one of my better moments, a chasedown block to retain a one point lead late in the game, but my boneheaded mistake just prior made any play that followed pale in comparison.

Watching this replay still makes me cringe but of course, when editing my highlight tape back then, I conveniently began that chasedown block footage well after my stupid turnover. So now, the clip starts with me just running downcourt, not apparently trying to rest the basketball on top of my opponents' head.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

share the video ?
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
share the video ?
Ha, after I figure out how to transfer my VHS to computer. (Seriously, I want to figure that out).
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: