Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #16
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Weighted calve raises also don't help with your vert much... neither do hamstring curls. The only reason you do them is keep a balance of strength in your legs so you don't get injured. A lack of Calve strength could put strain on the knees, and a lack of hamstring strength put's strain on everything else. You have to be strong everywhere. Squats and Deadlifts are the most important thing you can do to increase vert... they hit every muscle in your lower body, but isolate none... so just in case you want to hit the calves and hamstrings. Your quads are worked more than Hammies and calves in the squat lift though so it's really not necessary that they be isolated.

I'm really going to have to work on my squats. I'm horrible at them. I have trouble keeping my back straight and my knees from coming past my toes. Any tips?
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Well you can always do box squats. They are not as effective as regular full squats, but it will keep you straight and your form will be good. I would just keep practicing full squats with light weight until you get the form down though.... it might be a flexability issue... are you very flexible? Can you touch your toes with your legs straight? I have never been able to do and it's led to some problems for me over the years because my muscles are so tight.

Front squats are another substitute as well... and I would say they might be better than box squats. The fact that the weight is in front of you as opposed to behind you makes it easier to balance, and you form should be pretty good. You have to get em in though man... I can't stress it enough.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #18
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Yeah like Swaggin said, just start with body weight or a barbell and practice lowering slowly and keeping your back straight. I picture it like an accordion getting crumpled, bringing my chest towards my knees. About keeping your knees behind your toes, it's just a guideline. Physiology will push your knees forward if you're doing a full squat. If you try and keep them back, you either won't be able to continue descending or you'll fall backwards. For the squat and deadlift, it's vital that you use proper weight and good form. Also try and get at least parallel so you get the most benefits from the exercise. I see lots of people loading on the weights and doing little dips that aren't even quarter squats

And 5'9" and getting rim.

Maybe I'll be there some day
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #19
Lancerballer21

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

Damn Venom GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #20
Venom

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool

I was running a full court game in the park today and my teammate's shot fell soft at the back of the rim. I sprinted towards the hoop as I saw it as my first chance for a real put-back. I ended up mistiming my jump and hurting my knee. FML.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #21
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
I was running a full court game in the park today and my teammate's shot fell soft at the back of the rim. I sprinted towards the hoop as I saw it as my first chance for a real put-back. I ended up mistiming my jump and hurting my knee. FML.

Uh oh... what does it feel like? You think it's serious?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 AM   #22
Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Uh oh... what does it feel like? You think it's serious?

No, I overreacted. It's just a bruise. It felt a lot better this morning. Sorry, I'm just really paranoid.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #23
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Not trying to discredit the OP here, but you can find that pic he posted through google.

Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #24
Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20
Not trying to discredit the OP here, but you can find that pic he posted through google.

It's probably from my facebook. Also, I posted pictures in the "Post a Pic of Yourself threads" so you can compare this one to those.

Edit: Nevermind, the one's I posted in are closed.

If you found it on Facebook, message me and I'll be happy to prove it.

Last edited by Venom : 04-29-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #25
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

that's pretty badarse! congrats, how about a vid of u dunking or a shot of how how above the rim u can get, like right before you slam in through. keep up the training, hope u get higher and higher.

post a vid and show any doubters whats up.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #26
Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
that's pretty badarse! congrats, how about a vid of u dunking or a shot of how how above the rim u can get, like right before you slam in through. keep up the training, hope u get higher and higher.

post a vid and show any doubters whats up.

I didn't dunk. I only grabbed rim.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #27
BelowTheNet
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BelowTheNet has an OK reputation so far

Nicely done. And that's a sweet looking court. I'm in Oakland where almost all of the courts are awful and nylon nets are non-existent (if you're lucky, there'll be some half-busted chain nets).
BelowTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #28
Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowTheNet
Nicely done. And that's a sweet looking court. I'm in Oakland where almost all of the courts are awful and nylon nets are non-existent (if you're lucky, there'll be some half-busted chain nets).

The only reason it looks nice is because it's a state park
Old 05-07-2010, 02:38 AM   #29
BelowTheNet
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BelowTheNet has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
The only reason it looks nice is because it's a state park

That'll work! And whoever said "Heaven is a playground" wasn't kidding.
BelowTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: