Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #16
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: In their primes: Eddie George or Curtis Martin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big League
He played hurt in 2002 and 2003. In 2004 he was healthy for the first time since 2001. Was it because he was on steroids in 2004? That's difficult to say. This is the first time I've ever seen or heard somebody say Martin was cheating in 2004. I mean, I never even heard it hinted. Not a peep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LbloodOjunkieG
Same here. I'm an avid football fan and frequent NFL forums, and I've never heard anyone hint at Curtis taking steroids. As for the original question, I'll take Curtis Martin.
It wasn't a public theory...

I believe I heard the theory of Curtis on roids first from ISH's own Doomsday Dallas...

then I looked back at what Curtis had done in 2004, and it didn't make sense...that is extremely uncommon in the NFL for a RB to randomly explode like that late in his career...

also the NFL was never huge on testing...so it makes complete sense that he would try to revive his stardom one last time with the help of HGH/roids...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
Big League
I hit open layups

Big League has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
It wasn't a public theory...

I believe I heard the theory of Curtis on roids first from ISH's own Doomsday Dallas...

then I looked back at what Curtis had done in 2004, and it didn't make sense...that is extremely uncommon in the NFL for a RB to randomly explode like that late in his career...

also the NFL was never huge on testing...so it makes complete sense that he would try to revive his stardom one last time with the help of HGH/roids...
Look at his 2002 and 2003 numbers and understand that he was playing with numerous injuries. In 2002 he played with two bum ankles and still exceeded the 1000 yard mark. The Jets offensive line of 2004 was much better than its offensive line of 2003. Martin healthy and running behind a good line were the reason why he had a big year in 2004.
Big League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Look at his 2002 and 2003 numbers and understand that he was playing with numerous injuries. In 2002 he played with two bum ankles and still exceeded the 1000 yard mark. The Jets offensive line of 2004 was much better than its offensive line of 2003. Martin healthy and running behind a good line were the reason why he had a big year in 2004.
okay, well that could very well be the case...

although alot of players will use injuries as an excuse to use HGH/roids...

it is still EXTREMELY rare for a RB to prime out at 31 years old...after having the long career he did...

Thomas Jones is priming out in his early 30s, but he never got carries early in his career, first 5 years he had in the NFL he barely got over 100 carries...so he had not burned up his milage the wat that Curtis had...

Curtis got 368 attempts his rookie year...he started off as an every down back and primed at age 31???
Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #19
Big League
I hit open layups

You know, I actually find it comical that some random guy on the internet would accuse Martin of using steroids. Martin was known to be one of the great guys in the league, a class act, and a man of integrity.

Look, that still doesn't mean he couldn't have dabbled with steroids, but it is unlikely. If the guy was such a turd to use steroids in 2004 to hang on for one more big year, then why did he retire in late October of 2006 keeping in mind he last played in 2005? Martin was injured midway through the 2005 season and was still trying to get healthy a year later. The Jets had him on the PUP list in 2006 and when he could not get healthy enough to play he opted to retire on 10/31/06 if memory serves.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #20
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
You know, I actually find it comical that some random guy on the internet would accuse Martin of using steroids. Martin was known to be one of the great guys in the league, a class act, and a man of integrity.

Look, that still doesn't mean he couldn't have dabbled with steroids, but it is unlikely. If the guy was such a turd to use steroids in 2004 to hang on for one more big year, then why did he retire in late October of 2006 keeping in mind he last played in 2005? Martin was injured midway through the 2005 season and was still trying to get healthy a year later. The Jets had him on the PUP list in 2006 and when he could not get healthy enough to play he opted to retire on 10/31/06 if memory serves.
all of us are "random guys"...if this was real life I would still be a "random guy" at a sports bar or something...

when players stop using roids they go into a huge decline...another reason that year looks suspect to me, because he primed out at 31 and then retired 2 years later...

and the "he was a good guy" thing can only go so far with me now, after seeing my Rangers own Rafael Palmeiro was juicing...and I was POSITIVE he was above doing smething like that...

after that I don't rule anyone out...

I also have a theory that Owens has been juicing...he recovers from sreious injuries in like 1/3rd the time it would normally take...and he also has been in ridiculous shape forever...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #21
Big League
I hit open layups

Quote:
okay, well that could very well be the case...

although alot of players will use injuries as an excuse to use HGH/roids...

it is still EXTREMELY rare for a RB to prime out at 31 years old...after having the long career he did...

Thomas Jones is priming out in his early 30s, but he never got carries early in his career, first 5 years he had in the NFL he barely got over 100 carries...so he had not burned up his milage the wat that Curtis had...

Curtis got 368 attempts his rookie year...he started off as an every down back and primed at age 31???
Martin was one of the best, and perhaps the best, RB of all-time as far as avoiding the big hit. This is why he was able to handle many, many carries for 10 seasons.

Off the top of my head, I'm going to say Martin was 2nd in the league in rushing in 2001 to Priest Holmes (or maybe that was only in the AFC). Then he had numerous nagging injuries in 2002 and 2003. I'd have to do some searchin' to find the specifics (I only remember the two bum ankles in 2002). Then 2004 came. The Jets improved the offensive line and Martin was healthy. Not a surprise to me that he was good in 2004 just like he was good in 2001.

In 2005 the Jets line was wrecked due to injuries and then Martin got injured, too, and was placed on IR. He tried to make a comeback in 2006 but could not get healthy enough to continue playing. That does not sound like a steroid situation to me. If Martin was a juicer, he would have played in 2006.

Accusing Martin of this crap would be akin to accusing Cal Ripken, Jr. of cheating. The comparison being that Ripken was considered a class act and a man of integrity. NBA types would be Steve Nash, Grant Hill, Tim Duncan, A.C. Green, I guess.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #22
Big League
I hit open layups

Quote:
all of us are "random guys"...if this was real life I would still be a "random guy" at a sports bar or something...
Cowboys fan on basketball board accusing a Jets player of roiding seems pretty random to me.

We heard rumors about Brian Cushing before he was drafted by Houston . We heard rumors about Shawne Merriman before he was busted by the NFL. Where were the rumors about Martin?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #23
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Cowboys fan on basketball board accusing a Jets player of roiding seems pretty random to me.

We heard rumors about Brian Cushing before he was drafted by Houston . We heard rumors about Shawne Merriman before he was busted by the NFL. Where were the rumors about Martin?
there are no rumors of Owens either...

I am sure if we were to see the real list of players that have roided over the years we would all be completely shocked...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: