Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #76
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonpaxis
Yeah I understood his point. Canopy theory or no, I don't believe that Methuseleh (or Dr. Jack Ramsay for that matter) walked the earth for 969 yrs, or that Abraham's wife squeezed out Isaac at age 90, or whatever it was.

My "never mind" was just meant as "live and let live". I'm not here to crap on someone's belief in Biblical Inerrancy or whatever.

Besides--we root for the same damn team. There are only about 200 Bobcats fans on Earth at this time.
yeah people have different beliefs on life, this is a basketball board so we put differences aside and root for our team
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:11 PM   #77
Maximum310
High School JV MVP

Maximum310 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
When I saw this article I was going to make a different post about this, but after reading the article I'm going to make two points to it.

1. Even thought the book of Job is more in the middle of the Old Testament, it's one of the more older books in the Bible, probably written during the time of the early periods of time. We believe that Genesis and these books were written around 4000 B.C. Now, there are a lot of speculations of how the dinosaurs became extinct. Yes they walked with humans. Did they attack humans? It's more than likely. Were the dinosaurs on Noah's ark? Yes. This is where you get into the canopy theory and greenhouse stuff. Before the flood the earth was like a greenhouse. This is how people were living to be 900 years old. After the flood, the atmosphere was left somewhat depleted. The temperatures rose, living conditions on earth worsened, and the dinosaurs couldn't survive the atmospherical changes.

2. Are there dinosaurs living today? Yes. They aren't as prominent as you would think, but alligators, crocodiles, and kimodo dragons are good examples of dinosaurs living today. There is also the speculation of the Plesiosaur (Loch Ness Monster, Lake Champlagne Monster) still on earth today.

WTF...

Noah's Ark?!?!?!?! Dinosaurs are still alive?!?!?!?!?!

I guess Noah also had Polar Bears in his Arc, and they caught a flight on back of an American Eagle to make their travel to the Arctic easier,

And the Kangaroo leaped trough mountains and oceans to reach Australia.

I guess we should also ignore the fact that Dinosaurs share more DNA with Birds because
Dinosaurs are still around as Reptiles!

Maximum310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 PM   #78
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

there was a fish that had washed up onto a south african beach in the 1930's or so(not sure but it was a while back) that was thought to have been extinct millions of years ago. even thought it's not a reptile, it lived a hella long time ago.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:03 PM   #79
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31
If you could have either a T-Rex or a Velociraptor hunting you for an entire day, who would you rather have hunting you?

studies show that raptors were the most intelligent of the dinosaurs, hunting in packs and using an ambush method to take down bigger prey.

the t-rex is thought to hunt live prey by sight, so maybe standing still and blending in with the surroundings could have saved a human(if they lived back then and they didn't). researchers have now found evidence that t-rex might have been a scavenger also.

either way it would be hella scary, but i think the raptors would be more relentless.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #80
bballer
bballer

bballer has decent reputationbballer has decent reputation

are you kidding me, are dinos still alive, do read a book
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #81
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

SixerFan03 has an OK reputation so far

This thread has been revived. That's probably not a good thing for me. It's going to set off the inner-Dino nerd in me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
studies show that raptors were the most intelligent of the dinosaurs, hunting in packs and using an ambush method to take down bigger prey.

The smartest were Troodons which were related to Raptors. Raptors technically are Dromaeosaura, but it is a wide range of animals that are related that that clasification. They're the closest of the dinosaurs to true birds. A Troodon would have been as smart as a bird. Scientists believe it was the smartest because it has the largest brain size to body mass ratio.

Velociraptor was small and found in Asia. Deinonychus was about 5 feet tall and found in the United States. So far, it has been the only raptor that is known to hunt in packs, although scientists assume that the others must have hunted in packs as well. Michael Crichton used a Deinonychus for Jurassic Park, but re-named it Velociraptor for plot purposes. Utahraptor was 9-10 feet tall. Dromaeosaurus was about the same size as a Velociraptor (3 feet tall).

I wonder how smart the animal would need to be to organize pack behavior. It wouldn't be as smart as a wolf, but Raptors were one of the smartest dinosaurs.

Quote:
the t-rex is thought to hunt live prey by sight, so maybe standing still and blending in with the surroundings could have saved a human(if they lived back then and they didn't). researchers have now found evidence that t-rex might have been a scavenger also.

No, the evidence that researchers have the T-Rex may have been a scavanger is old. New evidence points to T-Rex being a hunter. Evidence that T-Rex was a scavanger is based on its sense of smell, which was extremely advanced. However, new evidence shows that T-Rex's bones were hollow, allowing it to run faster than some had imagined. It would move at about 25mph, which would have been fast enough to catch its prey.

T-Rex would use sight to hunt, but it could still see a human. If I were a human, I would just hope that a T-Rex wouldn't be interested in me due to my size (I wouldn't be all that filling).

Quote:
either way it would be hella scary, but i think the raptors would be more relentless.

Certainly.
SixerFan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #82
jbot
Future D1 Dad

aren't dinosaurs thought to have been warm blooded and not cold blooded like their reptile cousins? also, many people think that birds are descendants of the dinos as well. scales are more or less modified feathers, much like our finger/toe nails are modifed hairs.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #83
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixerFan03

Raptors technically are Dromaeosaura, but it is a wide range of animals that are related that that clasification. They're the closest of the dinosaurs to true birds. A Troodon would have been as smart as a bird.

cool. i think they were also believed to have had some sort of feathers on them also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixerFan03
.However, new evidence shows that T-Rex's bones were hollow, allowing it to run faster than some had imagined. It would move at about 25mph, which would have been fast enough to catch its prey.

good. i didn't want to go on thinking t-rex was an overgrown vulture.

glad to see someone else has some knowledge of dinos.

[/quote]
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: