Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Jumpman10135
Sheeeit Stuckey ballin

Jumpman10135 has an OK reputation so far
Default Youngins, whats your way about playing elders?

So I am going into highschool next year, but every monday and wednesday I play up at my gym, with 9-12th graders with varsity coaches watching. The Varsity head coach told me that my overall skill with the basketball is A+ and just to get more athletic. It is real hard to show jumping and runnings ability, which for me is still sub par, when I am playing agianst people 5 years older and 6-10" taller then me. Any help?
Jumpman10135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
a rock
I airball my layups

a rock has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Youngins, whats your way about playing elders?

I am 15... going to sophmore.

Honestly, playing with people that are more skilled than you and taller just helps your game. I play with some community college guys who kick my ass everyweek. Gradually, I score more and they kick my ass less.

Play them, and play hard. Don't worry about ****ups, people understand that you are young.
a rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've been in that situation before.
You just have got to earn their respect. Make the right decisions on the court, don't force things or take bad shots. Rebound the ball, be patient, play good defense and they will start to appreciate your game. Once you get some chemistry with those guys you can start playing your style. It is important to play hard and ask questions, they probably have more knowledge about the game than you so they can help you out a lot.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
the_chosen_1
Decent playground baller

the_chosen_1 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
I've been in that situation before.
You just have got to earn their respect. Make the right decisions on the court, don't force things or take bad shots. Rebound the ball, be patient, play good defense and they will start to appreciate your game. Once you get some chemistry with those guys you can start playing your style. It is important to play hard and ask questions, they probably have more knowledge about the game than you so they can help you out a lot.

Agreed, I play with alot of guys that have played college ball and generally they don't let highschoolers play. Someone has to generally vouch for them or they get a conditional chance. This group is pretty good so I understand the restrictions. if they come in trying to play team ball and working hard they will continue to play. These pickup games are much like an organized game. No BS, cherry picking or lack of hustling or attempting to take over. Everyone makes the extra pass.

I play with other groups that are different. Some other groups play out of control and fast break all day.

Watch a couple of games, try to fit in and win. That is the best way to stand out.
the_chosen_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Jxgator33
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Jxgator33 has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, I'm in the exact same situation as you. Just not as strong or athletic as the other varsity guys. I'm fitting in decently though (probably cause I make open shots and don't shoot much, but play hard).
Jxgator33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

dont try and do to much. know your role, play to your strengths and the older players will respect you. you will get adjusted to the speed and your time will come
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Get to the rack. From there, you can either score or dish as the taller and older dudes are collapsing. It makes you look really good if you can get around an older guy on your way to the rim.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: