Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
xoneatom
Kids at the park dunk on me

xoneatom has not been impressing people
Default anyone else here able to grip the ball w/ one hand and not the other?

i can grip/palm the ball with my right hand but i cant even seem to get close to doing it with my left. no one i play with can grip the ball so i dont really have anyone to ask if this is unusual or not. i just always thought that it was a bit odd because i dont think its the same as comparing dribbling skills between each hand
xoneatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: anyone else here able to grip the ball w/ one hand and not the other?

I can palm it with my right hand also but not my left. It's probably because your right hand has a stronger grip strength than your left.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: anyone else here able to grip the ball w/ one hand and not the other?

I can palm a nice indoor ball (like an evolution or a TF-1000) with my right hand fairly easily. With my left, I might be able to palm it, but I can't move it around or it will just slip out. I don't really think it has anything to do with strength tho... just coordination. I think this because I am about 10 X stronger now than I was when I was a skinny 14 year old, but at 14 I could palm the ball just about as well as I can now. It's like your left leg... you can't kick a ball as hard with your left leg as you can with your right because you aren't used to it. A lot of soccer players can kick a ball pretty good though with their off leg because they practice it. I'm sure if you spent a lot of time trying to palm it with your left you could do it.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah I think that's pretty normal for non-NBA freaks. In fact, even a large portion of league guys clearly have a looser grip on the rock with their off hand. Every now and again, a guy like Carlos Boozer will come around though who can use each hand just as effectively.

Me personally, I'm 6'3'' and can only palm a basketball with my right hand on a nice humid day with a fresh indoor (or rubber) ball. I tell ya, it'd be a heck of a lot easier to dunk better if I could palm a rock.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Yeah I'm 15 and 5'8 still growing but even when I first entered High School I was the smallest player on the team but I could grip the ball when some guys couldnt for some reason. I cant palm lefty either unless its a really good ball. I think it also comes from handling the ball, doing those ball handling drills around the waist and head and legs, getting a feel and the strength.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Mostly it's just about hand size. The average guys hands are like 7.5 inches long and I don't know how wide but from the tip of your pinky to the tip of your thumb is about as long as you hand... if you have like 8.5+ hands palming a ball is easy and you can probably do it with your off hand without much of a problem as well.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 08-13-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Mostly it's just about hand size. The average guys hands are like 7.5 inches long and I don't know how wide but from the tip of your pinky to the tip of your thumb is about as long as you hand... if you have like 8.5+ hands palming a ball is easy and you can probably do it with your off hand without much of a problem as well.
This is going to sound ridiculous, but I've wondered if the relative moisture level of one's hands could also make a difference. In the winter, when my hands go all to hell and dry and crack all over the place, palming a cold basketball with my right hand seems mostly impossible. Come summer time, a little bit of heat and humidity in the air, hands nice and normal, twice as easy to palm a basketball. Like clockwork.

My hands are 8.5 long wide and 8.25 inches long.

And yes, I agree the biggest factor in palming a rock is hand size, I was just throwing out a contributing factor in my case.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Fatstogie
Serious playground baller

Fatstogie has decent reputation

Mine comes and goes. I can grip with my right but only under certain conditions. Like right now my hand is dry so i cant even palm it with my right.
My left comes and goes too, but its gone more than the right.

Does an official leather ball have more grip? I am assuming. But i did take the plunge and went for the $100 ball and it gets here on tuesday.
Hoping its more grippy.

Like other guy i cant dunk cause i cant grip the ball good enough. And i cant jump high enough to get 2 hands up there. But im working on increasing my verticle. Plus im overweight now. Im 6'5 250. And i could dunk if i could grip the ball better, well dunk every time. Sometimes i can and sometimes i cant.
But grip is an issue. I got a tf1000 and its better. But im hoping the real leather ball is a lil more.
Fatstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
This is going to sound ridiculous, but I've wondered if the relative moisture level of one's hands could also make a difference. In the winter, when my hands go all to hell and dry and crack all over the place, palming a cold basketball with my right hand seems mostly impossible. Come summer time, a little bit of heat and humidity in the air, hands nice and normal, twice as easy to palm a basketball. Like clockwork.

My hands are 8.5 long wide and 8.25 inches long.

And yes, I agree the biggest factor in palming a rock is hand size, I was just throwing out a contributing factor in my case.

Yes it definitely helps to have some moisture, but not too much. If you want a good grip, get some chalk and then blow into your hands. It moistens the chalk and makes your grip really good. You see Kobe doing it all the time.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
bobbyflay

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

What the... I can grip with both hands while moving the ball and my hands are like 6 inches wide. I think it has something to do with the feel/texture of the ball. When I roll my ball in a pile of dirt or sand, I can't grip it well with either hand. Alot of it has to do with handles maybe. I could barely grip it with either hand in the beginning of the summer, but now I can for about 30 seconds with each hand. It also feels like the basketball is an extention of my body.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Yes it definitely helps to have some moisture, but not too much. If you want a good grip, get some chalk and then blow into your hands. It moistens the chalk and makes your grip really good. You see Kobe doing it all the time.
You know, I always think about getting some chalk and I always forget. What kind of chalk would I be looking for and where could I get it? Having even a mediocre grip on the ball during takeoff would help a ton in a number of areas.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
You know, I always think about getting some chalk and I always forget. What kind of chalk would I be looking for and where could I get it? Having even a mediocre grip on the ball during takeoff would help a ton in a number of areas.

My friend got his a rock climbing store. Look for one if your area... i don't see why they wouldn't have it at just a sports store tho.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
xoneatom

xoneatom has not been impressing people

Quote:
My friend got his a rock climbing store. Look for one if your area... i don't see why they wouldn't have it at just a sports store tho.
what are they called (like what kind of chalk) if i were to walk into a store to ask for one?
xoneatom is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: