Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #16
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How Good Are Isiah's Draft Picks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouV
No I'm not Isiah Thomas. I'm a fan who was there for draft day 2002 when Stu Laden traded the #7 pick AND MARCUS CAMBY for 29 year old Antonio McDyess.

Isiah is not a great coach, for sure. He's an ok coach. A very good GM, in my opinion.

These Knicks don't play defense to the level they need to play it to become a good team. To win consistently in the NBA, you need to be able to shut down the other team for a 6 to 8 minute period in the third or fourth quarter, to take control of the game. These Knicks can't do that. They can't shut other teams down.

I agree with you there bro. This team lacks defense for a length of time. It was proven tonite when they won against the Lakers by the skin of their teeth. A Kobe-less Laker I might add. Yeah, I agree with you, no defense whatsoever. They struggled to maintain a lead as it is.

By the way, what is Nate Robinson's roll in this team? He's a midget version of Jerome James. Only he gets the ball more often so he can look like he's fulfilling his PG position. Clown. He's just a show off.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #17
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

isiah thomas drafted great these last 3 years. getting ariza in the mid second round was good, before he got injured he was ballin. frye, lee and nate are really good ball players and renaldo balkman and mardy collins i think were good picks.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 PM   #18
ChanningShamgod
Can barely lace up my sneakers

ChanningShamgod has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouV
No I'm not Isiah Thomas. I'm a fan who was there for draft day 2002 when Stu Laden traded the #7 pick AND MARCUS CAMBY for 29 year old Antonio McDyess.

Isiah is not a great coach, for sure. He's an ok coach. A very good GM, in my opinion.

These Knicks don't play defense to the level they need to play it to become a good team. To win consistently in the NBA, you need to be able to shut down the other team for a 6 to 8 minute period in the third or fourth quarter, to take control of the game. These Knicks can't do that. They can't shut other teams down.

And who's fault is that? Gosh Isiah! Sorry the players you traded for and drafted can't guard the Washington Generals! Either way, great work GM'n! Hopefully, you stumble upon some good defensive players in your time here as GM. Maybe promote your assistant LouV to head scout or something.
ChanningShamgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #19
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanningShamgod
So, I was just thinking the other day. In the past two years, Isiah has drafted Trevor Ariza, Channing Frye, David Lee, Renaldo Balkman, and Mardy Collins. (Note: We got Robinson in a trade). He picked Channing Frye (this season 10.3 ppg, 5.5 rebs) over PFs Sean May (11.5 ppg, 6.7 rebs), Danny Granger (12.9 ppg, 4.8 rebs), and Andrew Bynum (8.1 ppg, 6.3 rebs, 2 blks). Not to mention PG Jarret Jack (12.4 ppg, 5.4 apg). Last year, he picked Renaldo Balkman (3.6 ppg, 3.5 rebs) over Paul Millsap (6.0 ppg, 4.4 rebs, 54% shooting). Last night, Paul Millsap scored 15 points and grabbed 17 rebounds. He also turned down shot-blocking PF/C Josh Boone and PG Marcus Williams, who is now the primary backup behind Jason Kidd. We keep saying Isiah knows how to draft talent, but honestly, he hasn't drafted a player who can be the man for this team offensively or defensively, Lee, Balkman, Robinson and (sometimes) Frye stand out because of how bad the rest of the team is. However, they haven't stood out enough to make him any good of a GM in my opinion.

he is good at drafting. you might be able to find one or two guys behind him in the draft who got better players, but he wasnt the only one to pass on them. also if you go through the players that were drafted before the knicks picks, frye, lee, robinson, balkman etc are probably better than a good number of them. you cant even knock the frye pick either cuz half a year ago he was gonna be the savior and was the center of any trade talks with names like KG. ill still take him ahead of may any day. granger looks like he might be a good player, but 10 teams after isaiah passed on him also. of the guys named that he drafted, they are pretty good players and only one was a lottery pick. so yeah i think he is doing pretty good in the draft.
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #20
LouV
Can barely lace up my sneakers

LouV has an OK reputation so far

Actually Shamgod, I think you are on target -- Isiah needs to hire an assistant coach (not me) for defense. Pat Riley had one -- he was Jeff Van Gundy, and his job was to teach the team defense -- both individual defense and team defense.

Isiah has hired Mark Aguirre to be the teach-the-big-guys-how-to-post-up assistant coach. Now he needs a good assistant to be in charge of defense.

Right now the only way the Knicks stop a team defensively is if the other team misses an open jumper. That means they're not rotating well. The other team always has guys wide open for jumpers.

I don't think it's the players that you draft that make you good defensively. That helps, but you can also teach" team and individual defense. You can't teach free-throw shooting, but you can teach defense.
LouV is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: