Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Barkley says Sixers should tank

On the 76ers: "Why is Doug Collins trying to win games?" Charles Barkley said. "That's stupid. They should develop the young guys and try to get a better draft pick." Barkley said he didn't mind being quoted -- duh -- so I'm passing that along for what it's worth. "Doug's a great coach. Don't get me wrong," Barkley said. "But sometimes coaches get carried away with their own egos. But in a situation like this, it's not about them." Philadelphia Inquirer Blog

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumor...#ixzz1C5XOQkLp
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Barkley says Sixers should tank

I hate that quote, "coaches get carried away with their egos, it's not about them." Coaches are brought in to win or they get fired. Collins wasn't let go in Washington because he didn't develop Hughes, Kwame, Haywood, Dixon, and Jeffries...he got fired because he didn't win enough games. What young talent are we supposed to develop that we're not doing so? Turner, Meeks, and Young are all getting 24+ mins per game. Holiday is 20 and getting 35 mins per game.

We got the #2 pick last year and as you see it's not something that instantly turns the franchise around. There's nothing concrete in a top pick, the only thing about it that's for sure is you sucked the year before. I'd rather have guys play well, boost their own trade value, and win games to be more attractive to FA's than lose games and pray our top draft pick pans out.

Last edited by StateProperty : 01-25-2011 at 06:11 PM.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
JrueHoliday11
jrue it up

JrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

we can still make the playoffs
JrueHoliday11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

So according to Barkley, Collins should start tanking so we get a high draft pick, huh? With Collins dishonoring his contract as a coach by intentionally losing, then getting fired and keep cashing that money? Well, that sure worked well for Eddie Jordan (not saying he was tanking).

Quote:
Turner, Meeks, and Young are all getting 24+ mins per game. Holiday is 20 and getting 35 mins per game.

Spot on. So again, what's Barkley's point?

Being honest, I'm not happy with the way the team is now. I'm thinking we are a borderline playoff / lottery team, which comes to me as pretty mediocre. But in no way I will be happier with a team that is intentionally losing.

Plus, I don't think tanking would significantly help the team. That's not the answer, that's the freakin panic button. And a way too uncertain one.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
I'd rather have guys play well, boost their own trade value, and win games to be more attractive to FA's than lose games and pray our top draft pick pans out.
Just to add a little more to this point, winning games with your young talent is what makes players want to come here. We lured a 20/10 guy from a place he had played for years and loved because we were an exciting young team even if we were bounced first round of the playoffs. Did it work out? Absolutely not. But you don't give yourself the opportunity to get big time free agents unless you win games first. Not unless you're a team like NYC or LAL.

And yes, Barkley is saying we should play our young guys to let them grow and let them lose. But Barkley has proven over the years he pays little attention to the team and even the NBA as a whole. If anybody watched him on Hank Haney's golf show...he does everything but watch basketball Fri-Weds and then shows up Thurs on TNT to talk basketball. If he was paying attention he would know we are playing our young guys and still winning.

I love Barkley but there's a reason he wouldn't be able to find a job in the league other than media.

Last edited by StateProperty : 01-26-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Im so nba'd out

Im so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Barkley has always had a thing against the sixers.The reporters must of treated him like sht or something.Every chance he gets he takes a jab at the organization or the city.
Im so nba'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
JrueHoliday11
jrue it up

JrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJrueHoliday11 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

well we know barkley is a hater
Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
TheMiz
I'm awesome.

TheMiz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTheMiz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTheMiz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTheMiz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTheMiz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTheMiz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTheMiz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTheMiz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTheMiz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Pretty stupid of him to say. But Barkley always says crazy sht.
TheMiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tank for who? If there was a Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Tim Duncan? Fine. But there isnt a player of that caliber so you tank and end up like the NJN. A crapload of losses and the #3 pick to show for it.

Also Doug Collins as mentioned gets canned if he intentionally loses. How can talent develop by losing games? Losing constantly takes a toll.

Barkley needs to stop drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrueHoliday11
we can still make the playoffs

Nothing to brag about given whats in the East.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
JrueHoliday11
jrue it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Tank for who? If there was a Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Tim Duncan? Fine. But there isnt a player of that caliber so you tank and end up like the NJN. A crapload of losses and the #3 pick to show for it.

Also Doug Collins as mentioned gets canned if he intentionally loses. How can talent develop by losing games? Losing constantly takes a toll.

Barkley needs to stop drinking.

Nothing to brag about given whats in the East.

true but considering we were written off early in the season its at least some good news
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
uksixersfan
Can barely lace up my sneakers

uksixersfan has an OK reputation so far

I Think it doesnt matter how week the east is and about getting number one pick.

Its all about winning this season and making the playoffs giving are young team a taste of the playoffs so next season all the under 24 players can use there experience and win a few more games and allow us in the summer to review which young players are progressing get rid and add quality.

I really think if we keep the progress up next season we will be a real force add a centre like shaq and we defo would be !!!
uksixersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksixersfan
I Think it doesnt matter how week the east is and about getting number one pick.

Its all about winning this season and making the playoffs giving are young team a taste of the playoffs so next season all the under 24 players can use there experience and win a few more games and allow us in the summer to review which young players are progressing get rid and add quality.

I really think if we keep the progress up next season we will be a real force add a centre like shaq and we defo would be !!!

I dont buy that argument fully. This team has players that tasted wins, playoffs under Mo Cheeks. Why do we have to hear that pep talk about today?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I dont buy that argument fully. This team has players that tasted wins, playoffs under Mo Cheeks. Why do we have to hear that pep talk about today?
I think Iggy, Lou, and Thad are the only ones who got in under Mo or DiLeo. Since Jrue and Evan are who we consider a part of our future in the long term (maybe Thad) I agree with getting them that experience. It certainly can't hurt and I'm not against watching more games this season.

You see all the time where a guy can get overwhelmed with what's on the line in the playoffs + opposing crowds being rowdier and such. Evan seems to have a personality of someone who would be nervous. I'd rather get those nerves that go with the playoffs out of the way now so when we're able to compete in a few years (well, that's the plan of course) they'll know what to expect.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: