Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 10-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Does Daye Start At PF?

So far throughout the preseason Daye has been the starting PF. Tonight they started both Daye and Charlie, but Daye has been the starting PF. He's actually putting up some really good numbers too. Does everybody think it's his spot to lose now?
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope

QuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Does Daye Start At PF?

Well, since they want to give him more minutes, and with many sg and sf on this team, the only place he can play is at PF spot (because of the injury of JJ)
QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I actually have another idea behind it too..... For a team to make a trade their looking for a reliable veteran (like Rip or Tay) and some youth. The Pistons might be show casing Daye's talent. Think if they really wanted to make a run at Melo (just an example). Denver would need a SF like Tay. They also want a first round pick. The other thing they are looking for is young talent. Daye is showing he could be the type of guy who could put up near 20 ppg. Trading one of the young pieces along with Rip or Tay is going to be how Detroit pulls off a good deal.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

I just don't like it. Its such a small lineup.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I actually have another idea behind it too..... For a team to make a trade their looking for a reliable veteran (like Rip or Tay) and some youth. The Pistons might be show casing Daye's talent. Think if they really wanted to make a run at Melo (just an example). Denver would need a SF like Tay. They also want a first round pick. The other thing they are looking for is young talent. Daye is showing he could be the type of guy who could put up near 20 ppg. Trading one of the young pieces along with Rip or Tay is going to be how Detroit pulls off a good deal.

Prince,Daye,Summers,Wilcox/Max(make salary work) and a 1st for Melo? Probably not enough, but might be if Daye plays well until the deadline.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Prince,Daye,Summers,Wilcox/Max(make salary work) and a 1st for Melo? Probably not enough, but might be if Daye plays well until the deadline.

I don't think Melo will get traded in just a 2 team deal anyhow. Also I was just using it as an example. I don't think he would want to sign long term in Detroit. I thought since it's always in ever basketball headline it was something people could easily correlate with. People can see in order to get a good player it takes a combination of established veterans, up and coming youth, and draft picks.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I just don't like it. Its such a small lineup.

Daye has clearly been the best scorer in the preseason though. He has the height. If we're looking at a lineup of Stuckey, Hamilton, Prince, Daye, and Wallace, there's actually a lot of length in a lineup like that. After seeing what I have so far, I think it's his spot to lose. It's also a good way to showcase his talents. Or maybe if something happened closer to the trade deadline when Jerebko was getting healthy he might be the young talent that gets put into a deal because Daye proves himself. Any way around it, I think in order for the Pistons to pull off a trade it will have to include someone like Daye, Jerebko, or Bynum. Since we have so many PF's now that we have Monroe in the mix of things too, I think it might need to be someone from that position. Next year we won't have a lot of SF's under contract so I don't see Joe D necessarily trading one of those unless he feels really good about resigning someone for the long term.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Daye has clearly been the best scorer in the preseason though. He has the height. If we're looking at a lineup of Stuckey, Hamilton, Prince, Daye, and Wallace, there's actually a lot of length in a lineup like that. After seeing what I have so far, I think it's his spot to lose. It's also a good way to showcase his talents. Or maybe if something happened closer to the trade deadline when Jerebko was getting healthy he might be the young talent that gets put into a deal because Daye proves himself. Any way around it, I think in order for the Pistons to pull off a trade it will have to include someone like Daye, Jerebko, or Bynum. Since we have so many PF's now that we have Monroe in the mix of things too, I think it might need to be someone from that position. Next year we won't have a lot of SF's under contract so I don't see Joe D necessarily trading one of those unless he feels really good about resigning someone for the long term.

I doubt we end up trading one of our young players personally. Maybe Summers, but the rest will be given a chance here first. JJ is hurt, Daye doesn't have enough value yet and Bynum is a key piece right now.

Sure, that lineup has a lot of length and scoring, but I think you would just get pounded on by any sort of size. Daye is just too scrawny and weak. He can play PF for a few minutes here and there, but he's a wing player for the most part IMHO. I'd much rather see him groomed to be the SF of the future when Prince is gone.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
I don't think Melo will get traded in just a 2 team deal anyhow. Also I was just using it as an example. I don't think he would want to sign long term in Detroit. I thought since it's always in ever basketball headline it was something people could easily correlate with. People can see in order to get a good player it takes a combination of established veterans, up and coming youth, and draft picks.

Maybe, just throwing out one idea I had. I see no reason it can't be a 2 team deal if they can get the expirings and young guys they want. We can't top Derrick Favors though
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
tbrulz
I airball my layups

tbrulz has an OK reputation so far

I'm a newb so I can't create threads but I'm glad the Daye at PF experiement is over, along with the Stuckey PG one. Just never saw Daye going against the Zach Randolph,David West,Pau Gasols of the NBA.

But Daye has been impressive at times but inconsistent. Was hoping for more especially since he impressed me in summer league.

What are your feelings toward Daye, what player does he remind you of? I know people think of him as a Tayshaun clone, but Tay was a much better defender while I believe Daye is a better shooter than Tay was at his age.

I don't see superstar potential for Daye but think he could be really good, possibly a poor-man's Rashard Lewis?
tbrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
dd24
College superstar

I always like Daye at SG. I think he should be getting more minutes there. Rip is benched and Gordon is wildly inconsistent. I never really liked him at PF either. While I think he can score at any position (to a certain extent) I just don't see him going against guys like Amare, KG, Gasol, Duncan, etc, etc on a nightly basis. No team could be a contender like that. I think with his length he provides some match up problems at SG and SF and those will probably be his main spots. His problem is he played himself out of the rotation at all with his poor play thus far. Although I do blame some of it on Kuester for switching his position from SG (which he was playing in the preseason successfully) to PF during the regular season.

What I would really like to see is a healthy Jerebko in place of Chris Wilcox right now.... To me it would be interesting to see how a front line of him and Monroe could defend. Plus would they be able to create well enough on offense? Hopefully Jerebko recovers and that might actually become a reality before too long.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
tbrulz
I airball my layups

tbrulz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I always like Daye at SG. I think he should be getting more minutes there. Rip is benched and Gordon is wildly inconsistent. I never really liked him at PF either. While I think he can score at any position (to a certain extent) I just don't see him going against guys like Amare, KG, Gasol, Duncan, etc, etc on a nightly basis. No team could be a contender like that. I think with his length he provides some match up problems at SG and SF and those will probably be his main spots. His problem is he played himself out of the rotation at all with his poor play thus far. Although I do blame some of it on Kuester for switching his position from SG (which he was playing in the preseason successfully) to PF during the regular season.

What I would really like to see is a healthy Jerebko in place of Chris Wilcox right now.... To me it would be interesting to see how a front line of him and Monroe could defend. Plus would they be able to create well enough on offense? Hopefully Jerebko recovers and that might actually become a reality before too long.

I just don't think Daye can guard SG's right now and our roster is crowded with SGs. You have Stuck/BG/White/Rip* all crowding the SG position. Right now he is better suited for SF. Once he plays better D and JJ comes back I could see a move to SG.
tbrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

You'll never win with Daye at SG and you take away any size advantage he may have. I mean, yah, he's bigger than SGs, but he's too easily taken adavantage of by smaller, quicker guards. Daye is going to be a stud SF in the prime Peja mode(damn good player), leave him alone
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: