Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default Now There's Gordon & Stuckey Trade Rumors..

Quote:
Pistons dealing Rodney Stuckey or Ben Gordon?
Detroit simply canít afford to retain Rodney Stuckey, a restricted free agent, at market value, with the prospect of either he or Ben Gordon coming off the bench. Detroit already has one of the NBAís highest-paid benches, and itís hasnít been working out too well. It also canít afford to let Stuckey, a player theyíve invested four years in developing, walk away for nothing. Instead, the team should re-sign Stuckey, then put one, or both players, on the block. Both should draw interest on the market, and the Pistons could be in the position to net a player that could better balance their roster. There isnít necessarily a right answer as to who the Pistons should keep. Both Stuckey and Gordon have quality skill sets. Stuckey has size, can get to the free-throw line and defend three positions. Gordon can be a lights-out scorer with unmatched range. ó Booth Newspapers

I'm all for trading BG. I think he's one of the guys who could bring us the most in return. While he can light it up sometimes, this experiment just hasn't worked out yet. If we could trade him and end up with a center I'd be happy.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
tbrulz
I airball my layups

Default Re: Now There's Gordon & Stuckey Trade Rumors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I'm all for trading BG. I think he's one of the guys who could bring us the most in return. While he can light it up sometimes, this experiment just hasn't worked out yet. If we could trade him and end up with a center I'd be happy.

Gordan can go but Stuckey is almost in the same position as T-Mac. Can't get equal value back because of contracts.

Surprised to here Stuck in trade rumors. If Joe D. traded him it basically means we got nothing for 2003 2nd Pick/Darko/Billups fiasco. Thought Stuck was therefore untouchable.
tbrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrulz
Gordan can go but Stuckey is almost in the same position as T-Mac. Can't get equal value back because of contracts.

Surprised to here Stuck in trade rumors. If Joe D. traded him it basically means we got nothing for 2003 2nd Pick/Darko/Billups fiasco. Thought Stuck was therefore untouchable.

I don't want to see Stuckey go. He has the ability to play multiple positions and actually play defense (something Gordon rarely does). I think it would make many Detroit fans happy to see Gordon go.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
tbrulz
I airball my layups

Quote:
I don't want to see Stuckey go. He has the ability to play multiple positions and actually play defense (something Gordon rarely does). I think it would make many Detroit fans happy to see Gordon go.

Stuckey is pretty good at SG but average at best at PG. I wouldn't mind keeping Stuckey but Stuckey and Gordon can't split the SG minutes and don't want to see Stuckey playing heavy minutes at PG again.

The problem is what Stuckeys next contract will be. Who knows what kind of contract he gets with the new agreement. If he gets some outrageous contract and we still have Gordon/RIP it'll be hard to resign him.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

Stuckey is an above average PG. Heck the Hollinger ratings have him at #12 currently.... http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...fposition%3dpg . He's averaging about 15ppg & 5apg. While I'd like to see the assists go a bit higher, he's always been asked to be a scorer so we can't really complain too much about that. It's not his fault Detroit isn't winning more games, that's for sure. Gordon has been a far bigger disappointment.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
tbrulz
I airball my layups

Quote:
Stuckey is an above average PG. Heck the Hollinger ratings have him at #12 currently.... http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...fposition%3dpg . He's averaging about 15ppg & 5apg. While I'd like to see the assists go a bit higher, he's always been asked to be a scorer so we can't really complain too much about that. It's not his fault Detroit isn't winning more games, that's for sure. Gordon has been a far bigger disappointment.

Interesting list you sent me, I don't have ESPN insider so how are Jason Kidd,Aaron Brooks, and John Wall ranked? I'd have them higher than Stuck in rankings... I'd have him ranked in between 10 to 20 in terms of starting PG, so that's below average to me.

Agree the assists need to go up which is why I don't see his future as a PG. He just doesn't seem to have those natural PG instincts, way too much of a scorers mentality. Some of that is because of what he is asked to do for the Pistons like you said.

Gordon yea he's be a disappointment but part of that has to do with inconsistent minutes. Splitting time with Rip and now Stuckey..to be effective I say Gordon needs 20 plus...

I don't mind the losing...higher draft pick!!...but I want us to develop our youth more. Yea Austin and Monroe struggle in games but I'd play them regardless, let them play through their mistakes.

Last edited by tbrulz : 02-01-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

I don't have the insider either. There's some people that really follow the Hollinger ratings though. While they aren't perfect they actually do a fairly good job of showing how well a player is performing (for the most part). Stuckey is a top 15 PG in the league for sure.

Don't get me wrong, at this point even though we're only a couple games out of the 8 seed, I don't have my heart set on winning as much as I do building for the future.... playing the young guys, making the trades, etc. This is another year of rebuilding and having a mediocre record will only get us a mediocre draft pick. The draft just isn't deep enough this year for there to be too many diamonds in the rough.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I have zero problem dealing either one of those players. Though I just said in the other thread I want them to be part of our core. Nobody should be untouchable and we can only pay so many guards.

Rip is the biggest factor in all of this. If we dealt him tomorrow for Zach Randolph or something like i proposed, then both Stuckey and Gordon could stay. Bynum might have to be dealt though. The biggest reason the Gordon thing isn't working out(and in contrast why Rip isn't working for us lately) is that he and Rip do not mesh. There aren't enough minutes at SG for them and we have too many SFs to play them together. Stuckey also being best at SG makes the whole thing worse.

IMO, the best scenario would be Rip is dealt for a big or a traded player exception/waivable expiring deal(DUnleavy Jr?). We then start Stuckey at the 2 with Mcgrady at the point(for this year,gotta find a PG next year) and Gordon off the bench. Gordon gets 30 minutes a night though as Stucky plays about 18 at the 2 and 18 at the 1(as DD24 pointed out, we are talking about a top 15 PG here, its not like he can't play at all). With Rip and Prince both leaving as well as possibly Mcgrady, much of our logjam would be cleared up.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrulz
Interesting list you sent me, I don't have ESPN insider so how are Jason Kidd,Aaron Brooks, and John Wall ranked? I'd have them higher than Stuck in rankings... I'd have him ranked in between 10 to 20 in terms of starting PG, so that's below average to me.

Agree the assists need to go up which is why I don't see his future as a PG. He just doesn't seem to have those natural PG instincts, way too much of a scorers mentality. Some of that is because of what he is asked to do for the Pistons like you said.

Gordon yea he's be a disappointment but part of that has to do with inconsistent minutes. Splitting time with Rip and now Stuckey..to be effective I say Gordon needs 20 plus...

I don't mind the losing...higher draft pick!!...but I want us to develop our youth more. Yea Austin and Monroe struggle in games but I'd play them regardless, let them play through their mistakes.

Agree that you gotta play DAye and Monroe through struggles. Wall will be better than Stuckey, Kidd was better than Stuckey, but neither is right now probably. Brooks? NOPE
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Kombo
:)

I'd trade Stuckey / Prince for Josh Smith, throw in Wilcox too for Maurice Evans so they can keep a big.

Though Atlanta would never do this.

I think that'd be a solid starting front court though: Daye, Smith and Monroe. All excel at different things and could cover up each other's weaknesses.

Just a dream.

Last edited by Kombo : 02-21-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombo
I'd trade Stuckey / Prince for Josh Smith, throw in Wilcox too for Maurice Evans so they can keep a big.

Though Atlanta would never do this.

I think that'd be a solid starting front court though: Daye, Smith and Monroe. All excel at different things and could cover up each other's weaknesses.

Just a dream.

I'd take Smith in a second too. Unfortunately it's Williams contract they are trying to move.... We really need to hope for the best draft pick possible. Some people have us taking Harrison Barnes. I like it because it would be the player with the most upside. It would be awesome if we were really bad and could move up to get someone like Perry Jones or Kyrie Irving. Not that I want the team to suck but I just don't see how they're going to be a legit contender without drafting someone who could turn into a star. There's just nobody out there who's going to come to a team that's losing and has a coach that none of the players like without over paying them.....
Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I wonde rif we could get Williams and SMith's deals to really help Atlanta financially. They need to extend Horford and maybe Crawford, so clearin those 2 out would help. Smith simply doesn't put them over the top. Charlie,Prince,SUmmers and unprotected '11 1st for Smith and Williams? Clear out Smith's deal all together, get Prince for the rest of this year which is a SF upgrade for ATL especially in the postseason, clear Williams' deal , but get Charlie's bad deal in return. Charlie has some use to them though more so than Marvin, as with Horford moving to the 4 much of the time, they'll want to back him up with a stretch 4 for a different looka nd floor spacing when he's at the 5. They get a young athletic SF with potential to be as good as Williams and a lottery pick in next year's draft. Not a bad rebuild deal.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: