Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 06-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #61
hipballinjigga
Berkshire is the Woods

hipballinjigga has decent reputation
Default Imo

With the money situation about to become a problem for the Suns, they might be better off to either trade Marion or let him walk once his contract is expired. Diaw is a young gun who could maintain a solid position in the starting five. Yet this is only possible if Amare comes back at full strength.

I also think the resigning of Tim Thomas will be very important. Do you think he will accept a cheap contract?
hipballinjigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:39 AM   #62
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Quote:
aight scottie pippen.

JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:05 AM   #63
funky2dope
I airball my layups

funky2dope has an OK reputation so far

Marion over Diaw.
funky2dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:15 AM   #64
Darius
Good college starter

Darius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat cool

Can Diaw cover SFs? He looks too bulky to keep up.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:47 AM   #65
drclic

Default diaw

Hello,

I love Shawn Marion activity and intensity .. but you give the guy one chance to shine last year against spurs .. he just disapear ... this year is the same (a little bit better because Mavs don't have Spurs defense) ...
He's not a play-off player ...
Diaw seems to be one of this clutch guy ... He's lazy attitude is just fake. He's a very good defender on PF and Center ... average one on SG and SF because he's lacking foot quickness to guard guy like Josdh Howard or Stackhouse ... But on 2-3 situations he was very good on this guy ... better than Marion i mean ...

So,i think i give up with Marion ... You're not going to win with a guy who can't create his own shoot.
I take Diaw and hope he can confirm his playoff level with Amare in his side ...

Drclic
Old 06-08-2006, 02:55 AM   #66
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

actually, both are irreplacable, even whn STAT comes back...
C-Diaw (doesn't need to play SF), Kurt Thomas
PF-Amare, Tim Thomas
SF-Matrix, James Jones
SG-Bell / Barbosa
PG-Nash, Eddie House

this is the line-up that SUns need, they play small roster, Diaw is great as Center, although he is under-sized, or Amare can play C, and Marion or Diaw play PF and SF, Marion and Diaw are 2 of the leauges most versatile player!
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #67
AKADS
National High School Star

AKADS is considered somewhat coolAKADS is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius
Can Diaw cover SFs? He looks too bulky to keep up.

Since Diaw was gaurding PGs 2 yrs ago and accually gaurded all 5 positions this yr I would say he could cover SFs.
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #68
i am a witness

Exclamation Matrix

Marion is without question a better player than Diaw and a more important player to the Suns. The Suns can find a nother guy who is versatile like Diaw, but what Marion does for the suns, noone on his entire teams really tries to do. He rebounds and plays defense. In case u havent noticed, that is very rare on the Suns roster. Marion is more vital to the Suns winning a championship. Who cares about Diaw's ability to score? Everyone on the whole team can score except for Brian Grant. They need Marion's prowess on th boards, and his defensive intensity.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #69
SRILK
Can barely lace up my sneakers

SRILK has an OK reputation so far

sUNS need to draft backup pg and another good defender but they shouldn't change their lineup,they seems to like eachother and play good team basketball,furthermore they don't have any money to buy new player
SRILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #70
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
That is retarded. Bad teams have all-star players, superstar players all the team.

A team's success does not depend solely on the level of talent they have playing. There are a lot of intangibles in it, and the argument Boris Diaw is a bad player because he wasn't getting played on a bad team that didn't understand is game is silly. VERY silly indeed.

As to the question at hand, at this point I'd have to go with Diaw. He's younger, has a better contract, and is a MUCH better playmaker which the Suns will need when Nash's decline begins. His midrange jump shot is more consistent then Marion's, and while not a rebounding freak like Shawn, he pulls down enough for his position. He shoots about the same percentage as Marion, Marion has better range, and before this year Marion was a much better defender. But after seeing Lamar Odom, Sam Cassel, Dirk Nowitzki, and almost any elite scorer he was defending torch him during the regular season + playoffs, I think Marion is forgetting what got him that fat contract and relishing his 22 PPG scoring average.

But most importantly, Diaw averaged 13 for the year, Marion 22. Against Dallas, the Suns biggest test, Diaw goes for 24 a night, Marion 17. Diaw also nabs the game-winner in game 1 away from home.

Don't get me wrong, I love Marion, but a lot of what he does, play the PF, score a lot at a high %, weak side blocks, rebounding, will be largley negated by Amare, and to a lesser extent Kurt Thomas, coming back.

And none of this even mentions the fact that this is Diaw's first real season with serious playtime. He could get much better then he was in the regular season, he certainly showed flashes in the postseason. With Marion you pretty much know what you're gonna get. His game is heavily based on his athleticism so I wouldn't be surprised to watch his productivity dwindle as he gets older.

So, if I had to choose for the franchise, Diaw. Marion is a better player now, but I don't think you'll be able to say that in 2 years.

ok i haven't ever posted here before because i just enjoyed reading the threads, but this is absolutely ridiculous and don't get me wrong.. Diaw stepped up huge this year, but in no way is the same caliber as marion is. People just dont understand the suns playstyle besides what they hear ESPN say, and since they don't understand that, then they dont understand that marion feeds greatly off of the suns fast pace run'n'gun playstyle.

You mentioned that marion only averaged 17ppg against Dallas while Diaw pulled down 24- this is a no brainer if you know the phx suns. Marion expends so much energy on defense when having to put a body on big guys like dirk and odom, or keep pace with a guy like cassell, that he loses his legs offensively AND Dallas played great defense against the suns and the suns refused to play their pass-and-shoot basketball and settled for a half-court offense. Marion has little or no place in half court offense besides lobs. So... when the suns dont run down court quick or get defensive stops for a fastbreak, marion cant play his position at peak level and run the court. He's not a post up player, get used to it. If he had a post game, which diaw is picking up, he would be unstoppable.

Marion = hustle points/boards/great defense
Diaw = post game/passing/driving ability (amare will cover this spot w/o great passing ability)

Overall.. Diaw is going to be a great addition to the team next year but doesn't top Marion by any standards. Diaw will give the suns the bench boost they've needed along side LB, Tim Thomas (hopefully), and Eddie House. Watch out next year!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:21 AM   #71
SRILK
Can barely lace up my sneakers

SRILK has an OK reputation so far

the only^player that the suns should trade marion for is kirilenko, he' s the only one who can brings defense (blocks,steals,rebound) and offense (3pt,shoot,points in the paint) like matrix does
SRILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #72
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
the only^player that the suns should trade marion for is kirilenko, he' s the only one who can brings defense (blocks,steals,rebound) and offense (3pt,shoot,points in the paint) like matrix does
but can he run like the matrix does?
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #73
Lascar78
I hit open 5-footers

Lascar78 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADS
Since Diaw was gaurding PGs 2 yrs ago and accually gaurded all 5 positions this yr I would say he could cover SFs.
He did not guard PGs. He was brought in to adress Terry's lack of distribution in the halfcourt. He was basically playing point forward, but JT was still guarding the PGs. Diaw was guarding SGs and SFs and was frequently too slow. Especially in year 2 when he had trouble recovering from an injury.

That's part of the problem. The suns have figured out that if you put him at PF, he's fast / nifty enough to take his man off the dribble, but he can't really handle the strong PF's on D. Fortunately the Suns score so much that they don't worry about D too much. If you put him at SF he won't be able to take his man off the dribble on offense, and will be on the slow side on defense.

When he was here he was guarding SF's, but on offense he was too slow to go by them, petrified of shooting even wiiiide open, which is why he was not very effective.

His best position is PF, but he will never be a standout defender at that position.
Lascar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #74
PHXsunsROCK1105
SAVE Planet Orange

PHXsunsROCK1105 has decent reputation
Default ...diaw

Marion is a role player. But, diaw is something special he can hit the jumpshot, pass, and dunk. Marion can only do one of those.
Also, don't forget that diaw is younger.
PHXsunsROCK1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #75
PHXsunsROCK1105
SAVE Planet Orange

PHXsunsROCK1105 has decent reputation

CHAINS5000:

"But, can he run the floor like marion?"

This guy has a point. A ver good one.
PHXsunsROCK1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: