Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Weems Unhappy With Reduced Role

Quote:
In the seven games since the arrival of forward James Johnson in a trade on Feb. 22, Weems has been ditched from the starting lineup and been used sparingly, playing more than 20 minutes just once. That’s bad news for a player whose contract expires at season’s end. Though there’s little doubt Weems will find work in the NBA going forward, suddenly the specifics of the scenario — where he’ll be playing next year, and for how much — aren’t nearly so clear.

“It is my contract year, and I want to feed my family,” Weems said. “I’m disappointed every day. It’s not pleasing at all, and it doesn’t make me happy. But it’s something I have to deal with. That’s the way the cards were dealt.”

The critiques of Weems’s games are no secret to anyone who spends time around the club. To summarize: The coaching staff would appreciate it if he shot less and defended more. Maybe that’s a difficult gospel to preach on a team on which the statistical leaders, the likes of Andrea Bargnani and DeMar DeRozan, also refuse to practice it conscientiously. Still, Johnson is getting a chance to show what he can do in the first five because, though he has arrived in town with an unpolished offensive game, he has drawn praise from Jay Triano, the head coach, for his imposing physicality on the other end.

“More defence? I don’t know about more defence,
” Weems said. “If I recall, the whole team’s been giving up more than 100 points a game defensively. You can’t put it all on me.”

“I’m disappointed, as every other NBA player would be. It’s something I’ve got to deal with,” Weems said. “I can’t hang my head. That’s what I’m not going to do. I’m not going to give anybody any ammunition. I’m going to hold my head up and keep going.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...h-reduced-role

Sprewell 2.0?
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Weems Unhappy With Reduced Role

Perhaps he should start playing better.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

sorry sonny ya just ain't good enough
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Poor play + a chucker. What does he expect, really?

edit:

Nevermind! Forgot Weems wasn't an international player! My bad.. Triano.. give this guy more burn. He shoots so much because he's so awesome! Colangelo.. sign him to a huuuge extension right now!!
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni

Sprewell 2.0?
Even though it's kind of lame, I do understand where he's going with this. At the end of the day, Weems on a good team is no more than an energy guy coming off the bench. Maybe a Shannon Brown type role or something like that. So knowing that, he knows his MAX salary would probably be 3-4 mill/year if he gets major minutes and stat pads. But with the minutes he's getting right now, he'd probably make a meager 1-2 mill/year instead. I don't think the guy gives two shits about the Raptors beyond having friends on the team, nor does the team seem keen on giving him long term financial security so he's caught between a rock and a hard place.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Weems is unhappy with his role and I'm unhappy with his play so I guess we are even.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Oh cry me a river. Sonny Weems still gets 20+ minutes a game for us, which is 18 minutes more than he would get on a playoff team.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Weems is unhappy with his role and I'm unhappy with his play so I guess we are even.

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Oh well.. he would be a nice energy guy off the bench.. but he seems like he really wants to be a starter or at least making decent money. And the Raptors should not be doing either.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Dude is terrible and with a minimum NBA contract will likely earn a higher salary than I ever will even on the path to corporate whore-dom that I'm on and he's crying about not being able to "feed his family?"

Sonny, GTFO.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

everyone on this team is crap. everyone should have a reduced role. Having 5 players on the court OR having no players on the court is the exact same thing for us at times.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
00playboy00
I brick open layups

00playboy00 has an OK reputation so far

not saying he deserves a big or decent contract ..but he is a player who actually plays team defense unlike bargani.. he deserves a chance for everyone to be hating on this guy.. he blew out his knee before coming to Toronto.. he is young and if you ask me has potential to be a solid player off the bench not saying a 10+ a game but a solid role player.. theres only a handful of players you keep on the raps and hes one of them
00playboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

Weems' potential is rather limited. Like the rest of you, I also see him maxing out as an energy guy off the bench. I like the guy, but if he doesn't return next season, I understand.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
Weems' potential is rather limited. Like the rest of you, I also see him maxing out as an energy guy off the bench. I like the guy, but if he doesn't return next season, I understand.
Yeah, agreed. I like him and all but I can understand both from our side and from his side if he doesn't come back. He's highly replacable.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: