Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Rambis
Lakers are MY TEAM

Rambis has decent reputation
Default Would you do Bynum for Howard now? What if he leads the Lakers to a championship?

I love how Bynum is playing right now. I love winning with home grown players, and the way the cap works it's probably better that you keep your own, BUT...

I can't stand being afraid every time he goes to the ground. You can never predict an injury and perhaps Howard could get injured before Bynum would go down, but I think you have to go with the athlete who seems less likely to be injured.

After you win a series probably because of Bynum's great play, could you trade him? It would be some serious bad karma.

I'd still do it. In another thread someone said it would be Bynum AND Odom for Howard, which I wouldn't do. That's crazy. Straight up? Don't you have to do it?

I know I should just enjoy the playoffs. I am. But for whatever reason I can't get this out of my head. For now, I am loving watching him play... but when he hits the ground.... uggggh.
Rambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

L.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Would you do Bynum for Howard now? What if he leads the Lakers to a championship?

lets win again with him as our second best player and then trade them straight up.
L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Would you do Bynum for Howard now? What if he leads the Lakers to a championship?

I personally would trade Bynum for Howard in a heart beat. Both are great players, thats why I wouldn't put LO in the deal.

But, I also think lakers has to make a move for a PG first for next season one would think.

With the Magic going down in the first round I'm sure DH is mad as Hell and ready to depart, but to get the ball rollin in that direction of trade talk DH will have to initaite it next season.

Now, let's 3 peat.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

last year I was like hell no. Howard can't post, and Bynum has already showed he can post with the best of 'em.

But after seeing Howards marked imporvement in his post game, his footwork, I have changed my tune.

I love Drew, but the instability in that body scares the crap out of me. But I am also worried about Howard's durability. Yao Ming was also a manchild, playing crazy minutes early and not missing games his first 5 yrs. Look at him now. Howard is playing a ton of minutes and getting the snot beat out of him night after night.

But if the Lakers do get lucky, its gonna take more than Bynum. Teams are gonna go the NYK route and give up everything, but I still think getting Bynum would soften the blow of losing Howard, and it would be the best deal for them imo. The Lakers could concievably let Bynum and Odom walk that year and make a run at Howard without trying to trade, but Im sure they would still be over the cap with Pau and Kobe on the books for about 50 million that year.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambis
I love how Bynum is playing right now. I love winning with home grown players, and the way the cap works it's probably better that you keep your own, BUT...

I can't stand being afraid every time he goes to the ground. You can never predict an injury and perhaps Howard could get injured before Bynum would go down, but I think you have to go with the athlete who seems less likely to be injured.

After you win a series probably because of Bynum's great play, could you trade him? It would be some serious bad karma.

I'd still do it. In another thread someone said it would be Bynum AND Odom for Howard, which I wouldn't do. That's crazy. Straight up? Don't you have to do it?

I know I should just enjoy the playoffs. I am. But for whatever reason I can't get this out of my head. For now, I am loving watching him play... but when he hits the ground.... uggggh.

If you think like this at a GM's you will fail. The game is a business, and you make decisions in the best interest of the team, regardless of the loyalty factor.

I answer the question, I do it in a heart beat. Bynum has emerged, but how long til another injury occurs? COuld be next game, could be never. But history has told us its more likely he will get hurt again.

I was listening to espn a few month s back and they pulled stats on all legit big men in NBA history and looked at their % games played through their 1st 7 years. It showed that players with a bad % due to injury early in their career, NEVER recovered and played more as their careers went on. Andrew Bynum was on the level of Bill Walton and a few others in terms of injuries early in their careers.

Maybe Bynum becomes the first of his kind and stays healthy for the duration of his career, but highly unlikely. I like what he has become and the potential is stills cary, but easy trade for Howard.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
I answer the question, I do it in a heart beat. Bynum has emerged, but how long til another injury occurs? COuld be next game, could be never. But history has told us its more likely he will get hurt again.

I was listening to game 5 or 6 and the announcers (TNT or ESPN, not the Lakers telecast) were talking about Bynum and his injuries. They said Bynum has a defect in his hip which causes extra stress on his knees and feet in a crazy way. Phil said Drew uses orthodix to try an minimize the stress but still, how far can that go?

Scary to think about. That being said, next to Dwight, Bynum is the second best center in the game. If Bogut can get that elbow worked out he might take that title, but Drew is no slouch, he has earned my respect (not like he needed it anyway) with his play and maturation. He still needs to tone it down when addressing the refs though
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Only an idiot would not trade Drew for Dwight. Dwight is better on offense and defense, AND doesn't make you wince every time he leaves his feet.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
lakersNUMBA1
I hit open 5-footers

lakersNUMBA1 has an OK reputation so far

you guys are leaning towards the trade and only mentioned "better player" which statistically says d howard is, BUT you guys never mention MENTALLY.

bynum coming into the lakers at age 17, who become the youngest player after KOBE BRYANT - sounds familiar? - and there on the same team.. and he still is after 6 years. on bynum's twitter it says "there is no i in team, but there is in WIN" .. i wonder who he got that from? hmm.. well ALSO bynum plays through injuries (DO I HAVE TO SAY IT AGAIN)

so what im saying is that bynum should stay in LA. he has proven that he can be the best center in the nba right now. hes still young and knows his role now. he doesnt care that he doesnt have to shoot baskets but when he does it looks like he plays better every time. he does make harder shots than he normally used to never take when he was younger. his basketball iq is huge! which reminds me that i found out that when he was younger he used to take apart computers and put them together and he has 7 of them at his place. if he didnt get into the nba he was going to be a mechanical enginneer - smart guy. also has sick cars, perfect for LA! he deserves to be a franchise player. dwight howard would never play through injuries. hes probably still hurt over kobes dunk hahahaha. he also gets so many technicals that he could probably cause phil jackson to have a stroke!!!

Last edited by lakersNUMBA1 : 04-30-2011 at 03:29 PM.
lakersNUMBA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

if howard opts for FA this offseason, i don't see how the lakers could sign him. the team salary was $91 mil this year, with all of the major contracts being multi-year deals. and with the new CBA, that headache is not likely to get any better.

as for trades- it's very hard to see even otis smith trading howard for bynum plus $3 mil in filler (their salary difference) and picks. if you're smith and orlando, that's just a terrible beating to take.

a colleague of mine proposed this, which makes sense to me:
Quote:
I think that two things need to happen for Dwight to go to LA:

1. He has to force a trade there and not accept signing an extension with any other team.

2. LA has to be willing to gut their frontcourt and trade at least two valuable pieces (ie Bynum and Odom) and take back at least one bad contract from Orlando.
very hard to see LA wanting to do that, either. orlando's two dreadful contracts are turkoglu and arenas, you know?

any proposals?
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #10
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
if howard opts for FA this offseason, i don't see how the lakers could sign him. the team salary was $91 mil this year, with all of the major contracts being multi-year deals. and with the new CBA, that headache is not likely to get any better.

as for trades- it's very hard to see even otis smith trading howard for bynum plus $3 mil in filler (their salary difference) and picks. if you're smith and orlando, that's just a terrible beating to take.

a colleague of mine proposed this, which makes sense to me:

very hard to see LA wanting to do that, either. orlando's two dreadful contracts are turkoglu and arenas, you know?

any proposals?
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Just so you know, Dwight cannot opt out this year. He can opt out in the off season of 2012. The Lakers would never acquire him through free agency, its just not plausible.

Only way I see Dwight coming is if he demands a trade and says he will only sign an extension to the Lakers. And at that point, a lot of leverage will be lost for the Orlando Magic. I don't like to compare Melo to NY to Dwight to LA because NY was way more desperate to acquire Melo than the Lakers would be for Dwight. NY has been starving for a couple of superstars, so thats why they dealt so much for him. The Lakers on the other hand will not be as desperate.

In the end, Magic cannot loss him for nothing. That is not an option. So I really expect him to be dealt because I do not think he will resign. Where he goes remains to be seen.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
Only an idiot would not trade Drew for Dwight. Dwight is better on offense and defense, AND doesn't make you wince every time he leaves his feet.

I don't agree that offensively Dwight is better.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Kensta
National High School Star

Kensta is a pretty well-respected posterKensta is a pretty well-respected posterKensta is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambis

We let Ariza go and picked up Artest after Ariza had an amazing run in the playoffs with us. Even if Drew averages 20/10 in the playoffs, I would trade him for Dwight in a heart beat.
Kensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I don't agree that offensively Dwight is better.

Right....Dwight is not better offensively, what gives that illusion is that he's the 1st option and gets the most touches. If he's on the Lakers and is the 3rd option he wouldn't score any more than Bynum......and worse yet he'd be running his mouth complaining and begging for the spotlight to be on him.......no thanks!!!!!!!

The only way I would do it is if Bynum is on the verge of falling apart....and then it would have to be a straight up deal.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
Kensta
National High School Star

Kensta is a pretty well-respected posterKensta is a pretty well-respected posterKensta is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Right....Dwight is not better offensively, what gives that illusion is that he's the 1st option and gets the most touches. If he's on the Lakers and is the 3rd option he wouldn't score any more than Bynum......and worse yet he'd be running his mouth complaining and begging for the spotlight to be on him.......no thanks!!!!!!!

The only way I would do it is if Bynum is on the verge of falling apart....and then it would have to be a straight up deal.

Even though you think he is not better than Bynum offensively, he is still way better defensively. I mean he's a 3 time DPOY. How are you not gonna trade for him straight up??
Kensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
crosso√er
Decent college freshman

crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta
Even though you think he is not better than Bynum offensively, he is still way better defensively. I mean he's a 3 time DPOY. How are you not gonna trade for him straight up??

When healthy, Howard is not "way" better then Bynum defensively.
It's very close; I'll go as far as saying Drew is a potential DPOTY candidate if he can actually stay healthy.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: