Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Minnesota Timberwolves draft Derrick Williams No.2 overall in 2011 NBA Draft

2011 Pac-Ten Player of the Year, Derrick Williams, has been drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Definitely the best asset available at #2, and now gives the Wolves plenty of options going forward.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
TBone
I airball my layups

Default Re: Derrick Williams drafted #2 by the Wolves

There's a log jam at the 3 and 4 positions now. I'm sensing a trade coming.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
JellyBean
College superstar

Good pick up by the Timberwolves. I was hoping that we did not blow it but we did rather well. Even with the extra picks that we traded away or kept, we did well. I agree with TBone. There is a log jam at the #3-#4 spot. Somebody will be moving.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
el gringos
Good college starter

really good draft that could have been great by keeping motiejunas. Malcom Lee will be a great pick in the 2nd and will become a starting pg for somone- motiejunas and lee were the 2 most underrated players in this draft
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
insidehoops
Administrator

The Minnesota Timberwolves tonight selected Derrick Williams with the second overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. Johnson, a 6-8 forward from Arizona, averaged 19.5 points and 8.3 rebounds per game for the Wildcats during the 2010-11 season en route to earning Pac-10 Player of the Year honors.

"Derrick is a talented player and a fine young man who had an incredible season for Arizona this past year," said David Kahn, Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations. "His improvement the past few seasons has been tremendous and we believe he has even more room to grow. His athleticism, shooting touch and ability to get to the free-throw line will be valuable assets for our team. We look forward to him joining our young core of promising players."

Williams is coming off a standout sophomore season in which he ranked second in the Pac-10 in both scoring (19.5 ppg) and field-goal percentage (.595), and fourth in rebounding (8.3 rpg). In addition to his Pac-10 Player of the Year Award, Williams was also a first-team All-American pick by Sports Illustrated and a finalist for the Oscar Robertson Trophy and John R. Wooden Award. Williams' 56.8 percent mark from behind the arc also ranked as the second-most prolific three-point shooting season in Arizona history.

Williams was named the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 2010 after averaging 15.7 points and 7.1 rebounds per game. He was also named First Team All-Pac-10, becoming one of just 16 freshmen to earn those honors over the last 30 years. For his collegiate career, Williams averaged 17.8 points and 7.7 rebounds while shooting 58.6 percent from the field and 51.1 percent from three in 69 games, and his 1,227 total points is the most ever by a Wildcat in his first two seasons. Williams is also just the fifth player in conference history to earn Freshman of the Year and Player of the Year Awards in consecutive seasons or less, joining Jason Kidd, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Mike Bibby and Timberwolves All-Star Kevin Love.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
wally_world
M0derator

Default Re: Minnesota Timberwolves draft Derrick Williams No.2 overall in 2011 NBA Draft

How would a lineup like this match up?

Rubio / Wesley Johnson / Derrick Williams / Beasley / KLove

Wonder how many minutes Love will see at Center tho, since Darko and esp Randolph commands more minutes after his stellar play late last season.
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Minnesota Timberwolves draft Derrick Williams No.2 overall in 2011 NBA Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world

Wonder how many minutes Love will see at Center tho, since Darko and esp Randolph commands more minutes after his stellar play late last season.

I hope we play this lineup as there aren't too many true C's that we need to worry about anymore and I think we can get away with it although I think Williams will play the 4 and Beasley the 3.

I have also heard that Beasley has lost more weight and is really working on his ballhandling and perimeter d so maybe we can roll this lineup sometimes also.

Rubio/Beasley/Williams/Love/Randolph or Darko
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
JellyBean
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world

It looks nice. But I am still not to sure of Wesley Johnson yet. This is the lineup that I was thinking:

Rubio
Williams
Beasley
Love
Darko

We would create matchup nightmares for other teams. If OKC can have one pg and three forwards, plus a center..why can't we do the same thing?
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I tihnk they create more matchup issues with the smaller lineup mentioned above. Not the height and length you'd love up front, but the incredible length at G helps cover you if you get a coach who can teach team defense. Also while Beasley/Williams/Love is a small frontcourt, but how many teams can out rebound that lineup?

I even wonder if Williams would be considered the C. He has more length and athleticism than Love and I could see him defending the position decently well. Think Joel Anthony or Chuck Hayes, but with much more of an offensive contribution. I'm only talking 15-20 minutes max. You have taller Cs available in Darko and Pek to compliment him. Put talent on the floor.

If this team could land someone like OJ Mayo, I'd like their prospects going forward quite a bit. Of course a lot would hinge on Beasley continuing to improve and Rubio coming anywhere near expectations.

I like this team's depth and talent. THey need a few tweaks, but they have potential.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: