Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
JellyBean
College superstar

Default New Coach Ideas?

Who you thinking? For me, I have no clue. I really like what Keith Smart was able to do out in Golden St. Jeff Van Gundy would crush this team's mindset. Mike Woodson? Lawerence Franks. Low risk/High Reward. I just hope that we get a coach that fits the offense around the talents that we have, rather then make players play a way that they have no clue how to play.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

Default Re: New Coach Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
Who you thinking? For me, I have no clue. I really like what Keith Smart was able to do out in Golden St. Jeff Van Gundy would crush this team's mindset. Mike Woodson? Lawerence Franks. Low risk/High Reward. I just hope that we get a coach that fits the offense around the talents that we have, rather then make players play a way that they have no clue how to play.

Exactly. I want to see Love's outlet being utilised this season on a regular basis and screens should be set for Wes to bury open 3's.

I would also like the new coach to implement a zone defense. I think it will work well with all the quick and athletic players we have now plus it will make it easier to get out into transition.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I think Frank's the best fit. He's young, can be around a long time to grow with the young players and I think he really understands the game in a unique way. I think he can maximize the team's talent and use its unique parts, on both ends.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
JellyBean
College superstar

No that we are in lock down mode, we can really expand our coaching search. Our front office folks should do a lot of research. Come up with pros and cons of what we are looking for in a new coach.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Don Nelson's name keeps coming up...... PLEASE DON'T DO IT
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
JellyBean
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Don Nelson's name keeps coming up...... PLEASE DON'T DO IT

I hear ya. I mean, Don Nelson was great coach back in the 80s and 90s. But in 2000, he started to lose it a bit. We could bring him in for maybe a drafting guru or something like that...but coaching our young pups? Nope. I would either get Lawrence Frank or Rick Adelman. But not Don Nelson.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
HOV
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Brian Shaw would've been the perfect coach for the Wolves. his experience as a championship NBA pg would've benefited Rubio and the other youngsters on that team.
HOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
JellyBean
College superstar

I guess the Nellie talk is really heating up. I just wonder how much will it cost us in the end if we hire him as our coach. I still think that we should call Rick Adelman and get him in for an interview.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Rick Adleman has been called.... and apparently he surprisingly is interested in becoming the new Head Coach of the Timberwolves.

Make it happen Kahn!!!!

Quote:
The news of Adelman's interest in the position comes as somewhat of a surprise, with some league observers believing the 66-year-old preferred to land with a team that had more veteran leadership. The Timberwolves are the youngest team in the league, and their lack of a veteran leader or two to stabilize the locker room was one of the biggest reasons they finished with a league-worst 17-65 record last season.

But from a pure talent standpoint, there is plenty to be intrigued about, especially for a coach who runs the kind of wide-open, share-the-ball system that Adelman ran so well in Portland and Sacramento.

The Timberwolves have a pass-first point guard in Ricky Rubio, one of the best passing big men in the game in Kevin Love and some dynamic, if unproven, scorers in Michael Beasley, Wesley Johnson and No. 2 overall pick Derrick Williams.

Adelman is 945-616 (.605) in 20 seasons as a head coach of the Trail Blazers, Kings, Warriors and Rockets. He has coached 19 full seasons, leading the Blazers to the NBA finals in 1990 and 1992. He coached the Warriors to back-to-back losing seasons in 1995-96 and '96-97, the only times he has coached a full season and had a team finish with a losing record.

Adelman and the Rockets parted ways in April, with Houston hiring former Wolves executive and coach Kevin McHale to take over.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
JellyBean
College superstar

I have said it a thousands times: I think that Rick Adelman would be the perfect coach for our young Wolves. He is my first choice. No drama. Just coaching and working with the players. Adelman is my choice and it is refreshing to see that a coach actually wants to come here.

But I hear that Larry Brown's name is now on the list. Please don't do it. Wwe don't need Larry Brown here in Minnesota.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
I have said it a thousands times: I think that Rick Adelman would be the perfect coach for our young Wolves. He is my first choice. No drama. Just coaching and working with the players. Adelman is my choice and it is refreshing to see that a coach actually wants to come here.

But I hear that Larry Brown's name is now on the list. Please don't do it. Wwe don't need Larry Brown here in Minnesota.

People are talking shit about possibly having Brown coach the Wolves.... and I simply don't get it.

Do you think Larry Brown would come into this situation without knowing what he's getting himself into?? He must know the roster is full of young players, and the fans want to see more wins.

He's a championship-caliber coach that has won in every stage of the game. As long as he can adapt to what the Wolves need, why wouldn't we want Larry Brown in Minnesota??

Adelman is just as old as Larry Brown.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
JellyBean
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
People are talking shit about possibly having Brown coach the Wolves.... and I simply don't get it.

Do you think Larry Brown would come into this situation without knowing what he's getting himself into?? He must know the roster is full of young players, and the fans want to see more wins.

He's a championship-caliber coach that has won in every stage of the game. As long as he can adapt to what the Wolves need, why wouldn't we want Larry Brown in Minnesota??

Adelman is just as old as Larry Brown.

Larry Brown is not what we need here in Minnesota. This would be the last thing that we need. I just can't see Larry Brown leading this team. To me, he is the worst option for us. He hates playing rookies. He is older than than Adelman, not much but at least Adelman plays rookies. LB would be a huge set back for this program. My money is still on Adelman.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
JellyBean
College superstar

Well I guess Adelman wants to sit out this year. So my #1 choice is out the window. I read that Sam Mitchell will interview for the coaching spot.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: