Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #136
alenleomessi
el kun & leo

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation
Default Re: 2011 NBA Draft

you guys just drafted tim duncan and brandon roy, but you dont know it do u
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #137
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Burks has knee problems and his career will end in a few short seasons?
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #138
alenleomessi
el kun & leo

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Burks has knee problems and his career will end in a few short seasons?
probably not lol
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #139
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Wanted to drop in and say I loved the Jazz draft. Burks is the type of wing they have always lacked with his ability to get to the basket and score. Not to mention his ball handling and passing. Great get at 12.

Kanter is going to be a stud. I admit I didn't think it was a need, but it probably had to be done. I am thrilled Knight fell to my Pistons, but he's not the prospect Kanter is. I think you just got Marc Gasol with more range on his jumper. Hopefully you can flip Jefferson for some value, maybe a SF if AK leaves. I'd consider a Jefferson for Jefferson deal(Richard) if I were Utah, or some sort of 3 way deal for Iguodala. He's the type of SF they need I think. I think you have to give Favors and Kanter big minutes early and often. Milsap fits the bench role better and is cheaper.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #140
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeronMillsap
He can shoot!!!!

He has his moments, but his biggest weakness is considered to be his long range shooting. He excels as a slasher scorer. Good short to mid range shooting. Has his moments from downtown though and probalby will develop over time.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #141
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
if they do anything besides Knight/Singleton they will regret it

Your tune sure changed in a hurry.

Quote:
Burks is the type of wing they have always lacked with his ability to get to the basket and score.

Dr. Dunkenstein! Though they never got over the fact that he held out and played Hansen over him after that. LMAO!

Quote:
I didn't think it was a need

They have no center and if they feel him and Favors can play together in the future it was a need.

Quote:
he's not the prospect Kanter is.

Why a change of heart?

Quote:
If they pass on Knight over this, they are stupid. They don't need Kanter and Kemba isn't what they need. Knight has an incredible work ethic and willingness to learn and change. He has the size,length and athleticism to guard the Westbrook/Rose/DWill/Paul types, he has not only a great shooting stroke but a willingness and eagerness to take shots late in games. His PG game needs work, but he is a pretty solid natural passer and ball handler as well as a leader. He is the Pg they need right now. If Minny some how takes Kanter, then they shoudl take DerrickWilliams easy, but do not pass on Knight due to anything stupid.

I just don't think Knight over Kanter is at all comparable.

Knight can be on Deron's level

Quote:
Hopefully you can flip Jefferson for some value

Trade him for Koufos. He should have been their center anyway instead of giving him and 2 1st round picks for the failed Jefferson experiment.

Maynor is available too. Maybe they can get him back as the young pg they need for CJ. Doubt OKL wants CJ anymore though with Harden ready to explode next year. CJ to Chicago for Brewer! LOL!

Quote:
maybe a SF if AK leaves. I'd consider a Jefferson for Jefferson deal(Richard) if I were Utah, or some sort of 3 way deal for Iguodala. He's the type of SF they need I think.

I'd rather have Iggy at the two. Josh Smith available. Battier, Prince. etc, Jefferson would be ok but the Spurs wouldn't want Al.

Quote:
I think you have to give Favors and Kanter big minutes early and often. Milsap fits the bench role better and is cheaper.

Millsap is a starter. You get the other two plenty of minutes by possibly playing Millsap at the 3 some and unloading the deadweight you have in Okur and AJ. This should send Fessenko back to Europe anyway.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #142
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...the-grade.html
Old 06-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #143
iguana
I airball my layups

iguana has an OK reputation so far

Utah will waste Kanter just like they did to Okur.

Okur was a power forward and could've been one of the most important players in NBA if Sloan didnt play him as center.
iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #144
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Okur couldn't guard most 4's, He had trouble with any centers that had any kind of mobility as it was. The guy was one dimensional. He could shoot. I doubt he would have been starting and been a third option and getting a 20 million dollar extension for any other team. He'd probably be back in Europe. Sloan made him. He'd be a nice back-up if he was healthy and not making 10 million a year.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #145
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Your tune sure changed in a hurry.

Dr. Dunkenstein! Though they never got over the fact that he held out and played Hansen over him after that. LMAO!

They have no center and if they feel him and Favors can play together in the future it was a need.

Why a change of heart?

Trade him for Koufos. He should have been their center anyway instead of giving him and 2 1st round picks for the failed Jefferson experiment.

Maynor is available too. Maybe they can get him back as the young pg they need for CJ. Doubt OKL wants CJ anymore though with Harden ready to explode next year. CJ to Chicago for Brewer! LOL!

I'd rather have Iggy at the two. Josh Smith available. Battier, Prince. etc, Jefferson would be ok but the Spurs wouldn't want Al.

Millsap is a starter. You get the other two plenty of minutes by possibly playing Millsap at the 3 some and unloading the deadweight you have in Okur and AJ. This should send Fessenko back to Europe anyway.

Well, my opinion didn't necessarily change, but it seemed clear that Knight's value had dropped and that they valued Kanter more there, so its probably the smart pick. I don't see either Favors or Kanter as a pure 4 or 5, so who plays where is irrelevant. I like Milsap off the bench much more. It allows him to get his on offense more and covers his D weaknesses better IMO. Favors and Kanter were brought here to be long term starters. Get them ready for that.

I wouldn't necessarily have gone Kanter over Knight still, but when all is said and done, ending up with Kanter and Burks is ending up with 2 really good talents. Potentially 2 of the better ones in this draft. I can't hate on that. I do think Singleton would have been an amazing fit on this team, but they had more than one hole. Maybe they didn't want to give up on Hayward and/or plan on bringing AK back. I'm skeptical that will get done though. NJ is coming hard I hear.

I don't like Jefferson a ton, not for Utah especially, but Koufos is arguably the worst player in the NBA. He's like the 4th string C for the terrible T Wolves. Miles behind Darko Milicic. That says a lot. Fesenko blows him away for that matter. Fesenko is kind of clumsy and akward offensively, but he's a very good defender IMO. He can play a Kendrick Perkins role if you ask him to.

Last edited by Nastradamus : 06-27-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #146
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
I don't see either Favors or Kanter as a pure 4 or 5, so who plays where is irrelevant.

It's the same position in their offense. Just a matter of if they can play together or not.

Quote:
I like Milsap off the bench much more. It allows him to get his on offense more and covers his D weaknesses better

You're talking about a guy that put up 17 a game on 53%/76% in his first year as a full time starter and if they hadn't added Jefferson instead of the defensive center they need he was certainly capable of more. He's also one of their few guys that plays any D undersized or not. Unless you can get him big minutes off the bench by playing him at the 3 it makes little sense unless you're trying to get the top pick next year.

Quote:
Favors and Kanter were brought here to be long term starters. Get them ready for that.

Get them ready for that at the cost of not competing?

Quote:
they had more than one hole

They don't have much else but holes.

Quote:
Maybe they didn't want to give up on Hayward

Give up on a guy that's obviously a player at 21?

Quote:
and/or plan on bringing AK back. I'm skeptical that will get done though. NJ is coming hard I hear.

I'm not so sure of that. Him and Deron had issuses I believe. Obviously if NJ's owner is offering up a future role in the front office it would be hard for him to turn it down. Plenty of teams will be after AK that's for sure. Hopefully they don't let him go cheaply at least.

Quote:
Koufos is arguably the worst player in the NBA. He's like the 4th string C for the terrible T Wolves. Miles behind Darko Milicic. That says a lot. Fesenko blows him away for that matter. Fesenko is kind of clumsy and akward offensively, but he's a very good defender IMO. He can play a Kendrick Perkins role if you ask him to.

Obviously you haven't seen much of either. Koufos has shown he can play when given the chance. He showed it at the beginning of his rookie year and for some reason he got benched behind the no talent Fessenko and and Sloan's favorite stiff Collins. Fessenko is big. Nothing else. Koufos has skills. Jazz would have been better with him at center(plus whatever else they would have filled the roster with) than Jefferson. Not to mention the two 1sts they gave up.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #147
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on just about every point.

I like Milsap just fine. I don't think there is anything wrong with him possibly being the best player you have at the 4/5 spo?t and also coming off the bench. Milsap gives a good effort on D, but his defensive ceiling is only so high. He gets abused by guys with length and like Boozer, he gets picked on in the pick and roll game.

Uh, you are not competing this year. Yes, you should develop the young talent at the cost of competing. 100% so.

Wow, I can't believe you are serious on Koufos. So the Jazz and the Wolves, both of who have no C, both chose to play terrible players in front of him? Lol, that's some pretty bad luck.

Hayward has shown little. He had flashes here and there, but him,Miles and Bell sucking so bad was the demise of this team early in the year. He's certainly not a surefire future starter at this point, but he does have potential.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #148
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with him possibly being the best player you have at the 4/5 spo?t and also coming off the bench.

Other than the fact it probably costs him and the team valuable minutes even if they play him at the 3 which remains to be seen.

Quote:
Milsap gives a good effort on D, but his defensive ceiling is only so high. He gets abused by guys with length and like Boozer, he gets picked on in the pick and roll game.

Unlike Boozer he actually gives an effort though.

Quote:
Uh, you are not competing this year.

Probably right depending on if the can turn cap space and Jefferson/Okur/Harris into valuable assets.

Quote:
you should develop the young talent at the cost of competing. 100% so.

Millsap has been screwed enough. He's only 25. He deserves to play until Favors/Kanter can take his job from him which I don't think is yet. As I said if you deal Jefferson/Okur they can play anyway. Makes more sense to start only one of them than both and watching Milsap isn't going to hurt their development either.

Quote:
I can't believe you are serious on Koufos. So the Jazz and the Wolves, both of who have no C, both chose to play terrible players in front of him? Lol, that's some pretty bad luck.

Or bad coaching. We're talking about Sloan who did plenty of head scratching moves over his career and that one was probably the hardest to figure out. He seemed to be getting senile with age. In the past it was usually vets over young guys not young stiffs over talented young players.

When they played the Lakers in the playoffs he shut down Bynum for a quarter and the next game was back on the bench as their whole front line went for a double double against Millsap/Boozer/ Fessenko(LOL!).

The Wolves had 3 more experienced players ahead of him and could also go with their top two players up front in Love/Beasley. He played good when given the opportunity and had some big games at the end of the year with Denver as well. He's still very young and hardly in competition for the leagues worst player. His time will come.

Quote:
Hayward has shown little. He had flashes here and there

Again you obviously haven't seen much of him either. He's a player. I don't know how good he will be but he can play. He just needs to mature physically and get experience.

Quote:
him,Miles and Bell sucking so bad was the demise of this team early in the year

That's why you don't rely on young guys or over the hill guys in Bell's case. But Bell was a Sloan fave and he was going to play regardless cuz that's the way Sloan has always done things. The Jazz played well early. It was later when Sloan lost the team. Not fare to blame the Jazz's trouble on a 21 year old in his first year or even Miles who despite all the critisism he has received over the years has continued to develop. There's a reason the top teams are veteran laden and don't play young guys.

Quote:
He's certainly not a surefire future starter at this point, but he does have potential.

Starter or no he will have a long productive career.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #149
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-shooting.html

That's encouraging. The supposed slasher knocking down treys.

Sounds like Evans and Favors played well too.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: