Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #31
Kiarip
High School Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 758
Kiarip is considered somewhat coolKiarip is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
look at the best vertical jumpers in the world... the olympic high jumpers..... none of them have hulk upper body... infact they want to be as light-skinny-ripped as possible.... a human at any weight is more than enough to be propelled thru the gravity at any rate.... the less weight = the more vertical.... so much upperbody weight will only actually make it harder/impossible to get as high up as you could with LESS weight....

there is no SECRET....

its all about:

1. genetics (fast twitch ligaments)
2. plyometrics/jumping & jumping & jumping & jumping & jumping (trying to enhance those fast twitch ligaments)

doing weights WONT HELP YOU... im sorry... unless you can find some weight that can make your ligaments bigger....

notice i said LIGAMENTS... not MUSCLES.... getting stronger/more muscles wont help you.... its only a fantasy...

EVERYBODY knows this..... but they try so desperately to not lose hope of their dreams......... and try to imagine there is some "secret" way of getting higher vertical....

Look.... you can only workout to your genetical potential to bring out as much vertical as you GENETICALLY can... and that workout is simple... Running / Plyometrics (Jumping)...

Weights help you a LOT.

They help increase your maximum strength which you need to do in order to develop a higher lift of speed for higher verticle
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #32
poster
Banned
 
poster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: u kno where to find meh
Posts: 161
poster has decent reputationposter has decent reputation
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

have u met anyone that actually improved their vertically signifcantly?
poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #33
Kiarip
High School Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 758
Kiarip is considered somewhat coolKiarip is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
have u met anyone that actually improved their vertically signifcantly?

Yeah, I have... Dude went insane when he got to high school, started doing all types of shit

Was a scrawny 5'11'' white kid in 9th grade, went on to become captain of swimming team, fastest sprinter in the school, best basketball player in the school.

Now like 4 years out of high school he has a pretty sick verticle (dunks easily, he's like 6 feet tall,) works out in the park every day, does parkour, climbing, running, all types of shit.

Needless to say, he lives it... But if you ever thought that half-assed training was gonna cut it you've been lying to yourself.
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #34
SacJB Shady
College superstar
 
SacJB Shady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 4,661
SacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputation
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

weights only help vertical so much. Weights only work when using it in conjunction with your jump training. If weights alone helped veritical, body builders would be nba players dunking like crazy.
SacJB Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #35
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,465
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
weights only help vertical so much. Weights only work when using it in conjunction with your jump training. If weights alone helped veritical, body builders would be nba players dunking like crazy.


well bodybuilders train for size not explosiveness and they have so much body weight that it weighs them down. a lot of olympic lifters have insane verticals even the fat ones.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #36
Kiarip
High School Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 758
Kiarip is considered somewhat coolKiarip is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
well bodybuilders train for size not explosiveness and they have so much body weight that it weighs them down. a lot of olympic lifters have insane verticals even the fat ones.

This.

Olympic Weightlifting is great for explosiveness. They are good sprinters, and 2 legged vertical and lateral jumpers.
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #37
djsmkb8
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 51
djsmkb8 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
look at the best vertical jumpers in the world... the olympic high jumpers..... none of them have hulk upper body... infact they want to be as light-skinny-ripped as possible.... a human at any weight is more than enough to be propelled thru the gravity at any rate.... the less weight = the more vertical.... so much upperbody weight will only actually make it harder/impossible to get as high up as you could with LESS weight....

there is no SECRET....

its all about:

1. genetics (fast twitch ligaments)
2. plyometrics/jumping & jumping & jumping & jumping & jumping (trying to enhance those fast twitch ligaments)

doing weights WONT HELP YOU... im sorry... unless you can find some weight that can make your ligaments bigger....

notice i said LIGAMENTS... not MUSCLES.... getting stronger/more muscles wont help you.... its only a fantasy...

EVERYBODY knows this..... but they try so desperately to not lose hope of their dreams......... and try to imagine there is some "secret" way of getting higher vertical....

Look.... you can only workout to your genetical potential to bring out as much vertical as you GENETICALLY can... and that workout is simple... Running / Plyometrics (Jumping)...

There are no such thing as fast twitch ligaments. Muscles are fast twitch(Type IIa or Type IIx) or slow twitch(Type I). The motor neurons are also fast twitch or slow twitch. Studies have shown that hooking up a fast twitch motor neurons to a slow twitch muscle makes the slow twitch muscle act more fast twitch which COULD indicate that what type of neuron is connected matters more then the muscle.

Also, what you didn't mention with in the following post is that stefan holm does step ups with 400lbs. And even though he can jump and amazing height off one foot, his two foot vertical is barely 2 feet. And stefan holm has a strong tendon which came from lifting. Donald Thomas is another high jumper who jumps high because of his long achilles tendon. Long and stiff tendons are ideal, but stefan holm has a relatively normal sized achilles.

I see what you're trying to say, but to say weights don't help is false. It is an individual thing, but I'd say 90+% of athletes should be lifting.

Last edited by djsmkb8 : 01-09-2012 at 01:23 AM.
djsmkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #38
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 430
01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
well bodybuilders train for size not explosiveness and they have so much body weight that it weighs them down. a lot of olympic lifters have insane verticals even the fat ones.


Quite a few. I used to lift with a few guys who were short and fat but could squat a good bit of weight and could jump higher than most basketball players. One guy was about 5'4" and never played basketball but could stand under the basket, jump and hang on it with two hands.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #39
SacJB Shady
College superstar
 
SacJB Shady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 4,661
SacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputation
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

Look guys. A little COMMON sense. Weight training can help to a certain degree with your vertical, but your not going to increase your vertical to any significant degree by doing weights alone. You think people in the gym are all of a sudden telling their workout buddies that their jumping so much higher? It's just not the case. It doesn't matter if your the strongest person in the world. It doesnt matter how fast you are training. If you do deadlifts at a high enough intensity, you are gonna eventually snap your shit up, that is guaranteed. Plyometrics are the way to go when it comes to vertical. Plyometrics and keeping your body weight down. Then you do some form of weight lifting on the side to supplement your plyometrics. It doesn't matter if your doing jumpsoles or air alert, the bottom line is nothing happens without any plyometric training. Or you can listen to Jimmy Struthers below in this video. Jimmy Struthers be saying that you can gain a foot vertical in 2 weeks lifting weights. Watch below...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_rQz..._order&list=UL

Last edited by SacJB Shady : 01-10-2012 at 04:06 AM.
SacJB Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #40
djsmkb8
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 51
djsmkb8 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
Look guys. A little COMMON sense. Weight training can help to a certain degree with your vertical, but your not going to increase your vertical to any significant degree by doing weights alone. You think people in the gym are all of a sudden telling their workout buddies that their jumping so much higher? It's just not the case. It doesn't matter if your the strongest person in the world. It doesnt matter how fast you are training. If you do deadlifts at a high enough intensity, you are gonna eventually snap your shit up, that is guaranteed. Plyometrics are the way to go when it comes to vertical. Plyometrics and keeping your body weight down. Then you do some form of weight lifting on the side to supplement your plyometrics. It doesn't matter if your doing jumpsoles or air alert, the bottom line is nothing happens without any plyometric training. Or you can listen to Jimmy Struthers below in this video. Jimmy Struthers be saying that you can gain a foot vertical in 2 weeks lifting weights. Watch below...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_rQz..._order&list=UL

You're right, traditional weight training alone wouldn't be good for vertical. However, plyometrics alone wouldn't let a person reach their genetic potential either. A combination of both is needed for optimum results. Weight training allows for more muscular power, as well as desensitizig the golgi tendon which shuts down the muscle if too much load is placed on the muscle. Look how high football players jump and how fast they run. They're all taught to lift and run/jump. While just saying lifting and jumping is oversimplified, until an athlete squats around 1.5xBW, thats all that is really needed in order to improve performance.
djsmkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy