Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #16
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation
Default Re: Florida DOMINATES in College Sports

Again, though, in that nine years there's a world of difference between 1999 through 2001, and 2002 through now.

For three years they were the best in college basketball. Since then, it's questionable if they're even in the Top 20. I don't feel like going through every program and arbitrarily ranking them, but the point is the same. They haven't been great since 2001. They've rarely even been very good in that timeframe.

That "nine years" you keep talking about isn't a consistent stretch of greatness. It's a three-year stretch of transcendent greatness followed by a six-year stretch of a mixed bag: some mediocrity and underachieving, some good, some very good; little, if any, greatness.

So, again, what does that make Michigan State? To me, it makes them a very good program who had a short stretch of greatness.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 03-28-2007 at 04:22 PM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #17
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What does that make Kentucky then? didn't make a final four when they still had talent and now don't even have talent.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
UNC: 2-9
Duke: 3-9
Kansas: 2-9
UCLA: 2-9
Kentucky: 0-9
Which is why I said, "(And yes, I know that even those programs have had their down years, but you know what I mean.)" I didn't mean compared to those programs specifically over this exact period of time. I just meant compared to programs who, over history, have established themselves as the game's true elite. If you want to talk about just this decade, for that matter, Illinois is arguably a Top 5 program and definitely Top 10, but we both know that isn't the case.

And don't overstate the importance of the tournament. It's the most important thing, but it isn't the only thing. Winning conference titles, consistently winning 25-30 games without down years interspersed too often, producing All-Americans, along with tournament success. I think everything needs to be taken into account when talking about who the best programs are.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #19
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
What does that make Kentucky then? didn't make a final four when they still had talent and now don't even have talent.
It pretty much makes them what Indiana has been since the mid-90's.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #20
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you say I can't compare MSU to those elite teams (which i admit are better programs throughout history), then you can't compare Illinois to MSU.

A couple really good to great seasons in the 80's and this decade doesn't come close to what MSU has done.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #21
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Aside from 1979 and 2000, I'd say they're more or less the same.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #22
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Blasphemy.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #23
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Florida has had TWO great seasons in how many years?
I think the figures you're looking for are 4 Final Four appearances in thirteen years. An active streak of 9 straight NCAA tournament appearances and 9 straight 20+ win seasons.

Not exactly the best numbers in college basketball but I think they are pretty respectable.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #24
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Funny how ignored them getting to the finals the year my team beat them. lol

As TheGame would put it. They weren't great or elite though.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #25
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

Quote:
Funny how ignored them getting to the finals the year my team beat them. lol

As TheGame would put it. They weren't great or elite though.
You'll also notice I didn't include the national championship last year or SEC championships either, I just mentioned Final Fours and season records. I'm proud of that team that made it to the title game that year even though they got soundly beaten by a better Michigan State squad. I've made no claims that they are an elite program, but there are few programs that have done better than them over the past thirteen years.

Last edited by thejoyofsobe : 03-28-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #26
IBall280
Decent playground baller

IBall280 has an OK reputation so far

kentucky= most tournament wins, 7 national titles count em and not 2 mention we are considered one of the elite college basketball programs in the nation... wheres florida 2 great seasons and they r suspossably elite huh... dont think so.
IBall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #27
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBall280
kentucky= most tournament wins, 7 national titles count em and not 2 mention we are considered one of the elite college basketball programs in the nation... wheres florida 2 great seasons and they r suspossably elite huh... dont think so.

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoyofsobe
You'll also notice I didn't include the national championship last year or SEC championships either, I just mentioned Final Fours and season records. I'm proud of that team that made it to the title game that year even though they got soundly beaten by a better Michigan State squad. I've made no claims that they are an elite program, but there are few programs that have done better than them over the past thirteen years.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #28
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

How much are those banners doing for you with 24 losses in the last two seasons, and your coach going to freakin' Minnesota because he was sick of you idiots?

I've said it a million times. History is great and all and if we're ranking all-time programs, Kentucky is at or near the top, but don't you feel the least bit stupid waving that stuff in the face of a program who's been kicking the crap out of you on a regular basis as of late, has been to three Final Fours since you've been to your last one, and is quite possibly about to be back-to-back national champs?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: