Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Roy Hibbert

it honestly pisses me off everytime I watch him play. When we sent him to the Pacers I remember thinking, "what a stupid idea, why aren't we keeping him he's just what we need!" people at the time were saying, well... he's a project, and we need someone who is ready for us to win now... But the thing about JO is that he was just coming off another injury, he was already 30 at the time and a shell of his former self. It was a short sighted, idiotic move by BC with the intention of making Bosh happy as well as buying Bargnani some time to develop and we have nothing to show for it. Meanwhile Hibbert is now an all-star and i'd much rather have him on our team than anyone on our current roster.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation
Default Re: Roy Hibbert

Hindsight is 20-20. He could have easily became Hasheem Thabeet.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I wanted either Hibbert or Koufos (oops) at that pick if the Raptors were going to keep it. They were never going to keep it though so I'm not too broken up over it. It's just one of many stupid decisions Colangelo has made.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Hindsight is 20-20. He could have easily became Hasheem Thabeet.
Ok, so we get Hasheem Thabeet instead of a 1 legged 30 year old shell of his former self JO who was coming off a major surgery and one of the worst seasons of his career. It's about trading young potential pieces on teams that aren't good enough to make serious noise in the playoffs. BC has done it far too many times, and this is another one on the list.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
it honestly pisses me off everytime I watch him play. When we sent him to the Pacers I remember thinking, "what a stupid idea, why aren't we keeping him he's just what we need!" people at the time were saying, well... he's a project, and we need someone who is ready for us to win now... But the thing about JO is that he was just coming off another injury, he was already 30 at the time and a shell of his former self. It was a short sighted, idiotic move by BC with the intention of making Bosh happy as well as buying Bargnani some time to develop and we have nothing to show for it. Meanwhile Hibbert is now an all-star and i'd much rather have him on our team than anyone on our current roster.

As my grandmother likes to say "when you're right, you're right".
Picture in a cute european accent.

Yeah, another example of where BC screwed us.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
Ok, so we get Hasheem Thabeet instead of a 1 legged 30 year old shell of his former self JO who was coming off a major surgery and one of the worst seasons of his career. It's about trading young potential pieces on teams that aren't good enough to make serious noise in the playoffs. BC has done it far too many times, and this is another one on the list.

Oh really? What other first round picks has he dealt since he came? Bargnani? Nope. Derozan? Nope. Davis? Nope. Valanciunas? Nope.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
bluerap
Local High School Star

in 2006 he traded edin bavcic.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
bluerap
Local High School Star

oh...
and by the way...

he did trade Jonas V.

he traded the 2011 first pick to the Miami heat in the JO for Matrix trade which set up the Hedo signing.

So not only did he trade Roy Hibbert away for JO.
But he tried to "fix" this by trading JO and a high 1st rounder for the Matrix who then wanted out of toronto. Thus opening the door for the Hedo signing.

He was lucky to get the pick back when Miami showed pity and gave it back for bosh (which they didn't have to).
Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

In hindsight it would have been great to get Hibbert, but he was Indiana's choice. If the O'Neal deal wasn't already in place a few days before) and the Raps were actually choosing for themselves, who knows who Colangelo would have gone with? It could well have been Ajinca for example (though looking at that draft from today's perspective, there were quite a few players left on the board who have turned out to be decent NBA contributors- as well as Hibbert there was McGee, Hickson, Ryan Anderson, Ibaka, Batum, Pekovic and DeAndre Jordan, so maybe we'd still have got a very good piece).

Obviously the O'Neal deal turned out badly, but I don't really blame Colangelo for giving it a shot. It was a bold move to get a strong all-star to play alongside Bosh, and one of the biggest if not the biggest stars the Raptors ever traded for.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
oh...
and by the way...

he did trade Jonas V.

he traded the 2011 first pick to the Miami heat in the JO for Matrix trade which set up the Hedo signing.

So not only did he trade Roy Hibbert away for JO.
But he tried to "fix" this by trading JO and a high 1st rounder for the Matrix who then wanted out of toronto. Thus opening the door for the Hedo signing.

He was lucky to get the pick back when Miami showed pity and gave it back for bosh (which they didn't have to).

Beat me to it. That 5 year 53 million contract that he gave to Hedo was quite possibly his worst move as GM and he's had a lot of bad ones. And as for Bargs, he bid against himself giving him that huge contract which made absolutely no sense when nobody else was willing to give him that kind of money.

As for the other picks he's traded, remember the 2011 first rounder he traded for James Johnson? The pick that some of you guys swore up to the high heavens wasn't worth a damn and that we should be happy to get a valuable guy like James Johnson for it? Well that late first rounder turned into Norris Cole...

I just don't find it smart trading away young potential assets and draft picks for guys who aren't gonna make a significant impact on our team in the long run anyways.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
In hindsight it would have been great to get Hibbert, but he was Indiana's choice. If the O'Neal deal wasn't already in place a few days before) and the Raps were actually choosing for themselves, who knows who Colangelo would have gone with? It could well have been Ajinca for example (though looking at that draft from today's perspective, there were quite a few players left on the board who have turned out to be decent NBA contributors- as well as Hibbert there was McGee, Hickson, Ryan Anderson, Ibaka, Batum, Pekovic and DeAndre Jordan, so maybe we'd still have got a very good piece).

Obviously the O'Neal deal turned out badly, but I don't really blame Colangelo for giving it a shot. It was a bold move to get a strong all-star to play alongside Bosh, and one of the biggest if not the biggest stars the Raptors ever traded for.
Correction, a formerly strong, former all-star. He wasn't the same player by the time we got him and Indiana knew this. They made out like bandits there.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
bluerap
Local High School Star

Really was a great trade for Indy.

I love how people say "in hindsight".

Every trade is evaluated in hindsight. Of course "at the time" it may have "looked good". The fact is we got molested in this deal.

I do have to make a correction. On further retrospection we never traded what became the 5th pick to Miami in the JO trade. It was lottery protected to 2015 so we would have had that pick any way.

So in BC's defence he has kept all of his lottery picks.
Also, while I think BC's record in Toronto has been atrocious I am happy with what he has done over the past 2 seasons. I badly wanted him gone but he is doing exactly what i wanted his replacement to do. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't fcuk it up.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
browntown
National High School Star

browntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
As for the other picks he's traded, remember the 2011 first rounder he traded for James Johnson? The pick that some of you guys swore up to the high heavens wasn't worth a damn and that we should be happy to get a valuable guy like James Johnson for it? Well that late first rounder turned into Norris Cole...

I would much rather have James Johnson then Norris Cole. If you think different, then there must be something wrong with you.
browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown
I would much rather have James Johnson then Norris Cole. If you think different, then there must be something wrong with you.
I didn't actually say i'd prefer having Norris Cole to having James Johnson, you completely missed the point. It's that when it was questioned (by me and some others) why he keeps trading away draft picks when we don't even have a playoff contending team anymore, a lot of people said "well, it's a late first rounder and most late first rounders are nobodies. And the pick actually turned into a solid, IMO future starting caliber combo guard. James Johnson is a solid addition to a contender, I don't know if he's worth trading a first rounder for. I still can't really justify that move.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #15
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
I didn't actually say i'd prefer having Norris Cole to having James Johnson, you completely missed the point. It's that when it was questioned (by me and some others) why he keeps trading away draft picks when we don't even have a playoff contending team anymore, a lot of people said "well, it's a late first rounder and most late first rounders are nobodies. And the pick actually turned into a solid, IMO future starting caliber combo guard. James Johnson is a solid addition to a contender, I don't know if he's worth trading a first rounder for. I still can't really justify that move.

but it was a good trade.
so what you talkin bout willis
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: