Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default The Jonas V. story

it's on NBA.com. I don't have time to watch it right now but just letting you guys know to check the page, it's on there. I'm sure it'll be interesting.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/pla...anciunas-story

edit: from the part i've watched so far, they have players and other people associated with uin Lithuania talking about how important the sport is for them, and that it goes way beyond the basketball court for them.

I've seen maybe half of it now (it's pretty long), but what i'm seeing is making me even more excited than I already have been for the kid to come to the Raps next season. His teammates, coaches, family and friends all rave about him, he seems to have a great attitude and work ethic, and best of all he seems very passionate about the game of basketball. I think we have a gem here to be honest. Not that I expect him to come in and start dominating right away, but I think even in his first season we can expect a tough, rugged player, who will be more NBA ready in that regard than your typical player coming out of Europe. And once his body is more NBA ready we may have a solid 5 on our hands for years to come. Even more reason to get rid of Bargnani.

Last edited by bokes15 : 04-01-2012 at 04:46 PM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
SESSEL15
Good High School Starter

Default Re: The Jonas V. story

Bargnani was playing great ball before his injury. Vals game seems to compliment Bargs game very well (from what i've seen). Bargs poor rebounding and below average defence could potentially be accomodated by the kind of player Val seems to be shaping up to be. 2 seven footers in your starting line-up is beautiful regardless.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
Bargnani was playing great ball before his injury. Vals game seems to compliment Bargs game very well (from what i've seen). Bargs poor rebounding and below average defence could potentially be accomodated by the kind of player Val seems to be shaping up to be. 2 seven footers in your starting line-up is beautiful regardless.
We've definitely had 2 7 footers in our lineup before. It was tried before with JO/Bargs/Bosh, and it didn't work.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15

I don't want Val to make up for Bargs weaknesses. IMO having Val (a good 5 who will rebound and block shots) doesn't mean that Bargs inability to rebound should be excusable. They seem like the opposite of each other but I don't want Bargs to be around because of his deficiencies on every other part of his game not being scoring.

The only 7 footers that I'd like to see on the Raps are Anthony Davis and Val, but that is a dream.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I don't want Val to make up for Bargs weaknesses. IMO having Val (a good 5 who will rebound and block shots) doesn't mean that Bargs inability to rebound should be excusable. They seem like the opposite of each other but I don't want Bargs to be around because of his deficiencies on every other part of his game not being scoring.

The only 7 footers that I'd like to see on the Raps are Anthony Davis and Val, but that is a dream.
Agree 100%. I'm tired of trying to get guys who compensate for the fact that we have a 7 footer who is unable do the things required of someone that size to be a successful starter on a championship level team. Let's see what we have in Val who CAN do those things, and then get someone else who is able to do those things as well with maybe a little more offense.

Look at the successful bigman duos in the league, and you would be hard pressed to find a set of two starting big men on a GOOD team where one of them doesn't play any D and is a poor rebounder and the other one completely makes up for it.

Gasol/Bynum
Gasol/Randolph
Griffin/Jordan
Perkins/Iblocka
Bosh/Anthony
Boozer/Noah

I mean the closest thing i've seen to something like what you're trying to describe is last years Mavs with Dirk and Chandler. But the thing is, Bargnani is no Dirk. Dirk's offense is so good that that in and of itself helps to compensate for his D. But then to add, his D is also better than Bargs as well as his rebounding. He's no Dwight Howard in that department but he's improved significantly since he first entered the league.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
bada bing
College star

you cannot have Val come into the raptors to make up for bargs weaknesses. It just does not work. It will never work. You are placing soo much additional work and pressure on a young new player that it will hinder his development. He needs to be playing alongside strong hard working players that add TO HIS GAME!
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Agree with bada bing and whoever else previously agreed with him.

Expecting a rookie to come in and compensate for our "star players" weaknesses is a terrible situation for everybody involved.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
bada bing
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Agree with bada bing and whoever else previously agreed with him.

Expecting a rookie to come in and compensate for our "star players" weaknesses is a terrible situation for everybody involved.

yes. totally man. This has not worked in the past and will never work in the future either. BC has tried putting in a lot of players to play alongside Bargnani to make up for his weakness. It has not worked. I say this again and will always say this, Bargs is a great 6th man that comes off the bench and plays good minutes. He can substitute for another traditional PF or C on the team and totally confuse the opposing defenses. Thats who bargs is. YOu cannot have him be your star player with those weaknesses and bring in players that compensate for his weaknesses.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #9
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

Is it just me or does every video associated with nba.com get choppy? Can't even enjoy this video it chops up every 10 seconds
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: