Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #1
EoJ

EoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this board
Default Is this an offensive foul in streetball?

This happens to me a lot and I don't know if i should call it. When I'm guarding a player and they use their hand that's not dribbling the ball to either grab or slap my hand out of the way when I'm going for the steal.
EoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation
Default Re: Is this an offensive foul in streetball?

I am guilty of doing this but I dont do it anymore lol. Yea it could be classified as offensive but you'll look like a ***** if u try to call a slap on your hand while trying to steal. However if the guy pushes you then yea call that for sure.

If his off hand was there before you were trying to reach in, and sort of like just for protection then no that is not an offensive foul.
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Kids are taught to do this now. I think Ganon Baker breaks it down in one of his videos and says in middle school you use your off hand to block the defender, high school, push their hand out of the way and college and NBA grab and move their hand.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would say this would unequivocally not be an offensive foul in streetball. 99 times out of 100, the only time I'm in position to slap away a defender's hand is when they're attempting to reach across my body, which very well could be a foul on their part in a real game, but is not something one would ever call in streetball. As such, I view the slap away as a street countermove to the over-wily reacher. It's more of a "C'mon now, quit your lame reaching, son" as opposed to being some kind of advantageous maneuver.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
EoJ

EoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this boardEoJ is popular on this board

Thanks for the info guys. I have another question. I was playing tonight and i was boxing out my man and i boxed him out almost to the 3 point line. He said that's a foul. Is it?
EoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoJ
Thanks for the info guys. I have another question. I was playing tonight and i was boxing out my man and i boxed him out almost to the 3 point line. He said that's a foul. Is it?
I wouldn't think so. If it's a fundamental boxout the entire way, I'm not really thinking it'd be a foul. It might be a little overzealous though. Usually, it seems a rebound opportunity would present itself before boxing a person out all the way to the 3pt. line.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
SunsCaptain
Local High School Star

SunsCaptain has decent reputationSunsCaptain has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoJ

Ill box the shit out of people....If they are going to stand their like a limp dick why not move them around the court.
SunsCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsCaptain
Ill box the shit out of people....If they are going to stand their like a limp dick why not move them around the court.
I was going to mention that as well. In theory, it sounds overzealous, but I know how in street games or rec. leagues, there will sometimes be players who had no interest in crashing the boards in the first place. As such, they're not really expecting to be aptly boxed out, which tends to lead to them being moved freely about the court.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

I coached last season and they told us they were going to emphasize displacement on boxing out. In other words they were going to crack down on moving players while boxing out. Unless they are also cracking down on going over the back I will keep teaching my players to be aggressive when boxing out. If your undersized its the only way to have a chance at rebounding.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: