Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Is this a scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Haven't heard that, explain what they do.

i've started a thread ranting about this before(think it was about working world scams in general) but it might've been under poodle.

basically they say they got into a car accident out of state, and want it towed to your shop. they usually say a big SUV like Escalade. this is all being done thru a deaf relay service where the operator is telling me what they're typing btw. they say the tow truck driver won't accept checks or credit cards, which isn't unusual, lots of them operate on cash. he wants me to charge his credit card over the phone, and wire transfer the money to so and so to pay the tow truck driver. the credit card numbers he gives are stolen.

i've been hit with this a number of times through the deaf relay service. I even talked to the deaf relay service operators and supervisor about the scam and they said there was nothing they could do since some confidentiality laws protect the users, but were well aware of it. I took it so far as to get him to email me to exchange information, where i called the local police and showed him everything but he said he couldn't do anything and telling me how this goes on all of the time. he gave me a sheet with the FBI website asking to report any cyber crimes which i went to their site and filled it all out and put myself down as a contact. i did this on 2 different occasions btw, but never heard from them

i even had the email saved for the longest time but deleted it awhile back. I think i cut and pasted it in my thread ranting about it, but not 100% sure....
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

The guys puts in too much detail about all the reasons he has to do the deal in this strange way. Everything he says is probably a lie. When you are really trying to sell a car you don't come up with all these bs excuses.

Scam for sure.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

An easy way to find out a scam is by noting that the seller claims he has to offload the vehicle/product ASAP. Usually those types of claims are from scammers. Most sellers know better than to try and rush a sale simply because there could be someone who would offer more money for the product you're selling, you get what I mean?

If I'm you, I would only use Craigslist ads where you can actually speak to the seller over the phone and/or more importantly IN PERSON. Anything involving "e-mail only contact" is at least 99.9% scam worthy.

If the supposed seller starts giving you unnecessary details about his/her life or detailed reasons why he/she can't let you check out the car in person, it's probably a scam.

I used to frequent car message boards often and these types of scams were always discussed in various threads.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: