Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #241
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: MAD MEN series discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
i think roger was just reborn. "it's a beautiful morning". he might start to play ball this year, put the advice he gave to lane to good use and start getting some accounts. did they ever really have him doing anything besides playing nice with lucky strike for the first few seasons? i know there he was involved in office politics but in terms of helping the company...

the past two episodes seem to link pete with roger quite strongly; aka pete falling into the exact rut roger did (twice) and roger finally breaking himself out of it.

Pretty much. From the beginning they made it clear that the Sterling in Sterling-Cooper was Roger's father. I think even in the first season, don't remember the exact circumstance but Pete feared he was about to be canned after a conflict with Don and Roger did the whole dog and pony show with chastisement but then later privately admitted to Don that he had no real power to do anything except make Pete think he had actual authority.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #242
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Pretty much. From the beginning they made it clear that the Sterling in Sterling-Cooper was Roger's father. I think even in the first season, don't remember the exact circumstance but Pete feared he was about to be canned after a conflict with Don and Roger did the whole dog and pony show with chastisement but then later privately admitted to Don that he had no real power to do anything except make Pete think he had actual authority.
I don't think that's how it happened, if you're talking about Pete trying to blackmail Don. Roger said something like "You can fire him if you want, but you never know how Loyalty born."
I agree that he was never a big cog in the machine. He had power originally though.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #243
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I don't think that's how it happened, if you're talking about Pete trying to blackmail Don. Roger said something like "You can fire him if you want, but you never know how Loyalty born."

You're probably right. I'm most likely mixing up events/timelines.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #244
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I agree that he was never a big cog in the machine. He had power originally though.

Nope that quote is from Bert Cooper. i think he was the one protecting Pete from getting fired earlier on so Roger was always second in command.

I do think that the LSD trip catapaulted this episode into a top show for the seriea. otherwise it was just some usual drama with character depth. the trip was hilarious and thethe way it was directed and resulted in self-reflection was spectacular. that is pretty much the rhythm to any story centered around Roger and it never fails.

I'm glad to see Peggy get more depth outside of the office. we finally got another glimpse of her true frustration at living in a mans world.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #245
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
Sooooo peggy definitely just gave a random dude in the movie theatre a hand job.

da fukk

Happens to me all the time. Go to a movie, spark up and soon enough some chick is tuggin away.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #246
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

Just caught up with the season:

-There's a different flow this season. This could be due to new writers or a budget change. Irregardless, I think it fits well with Don's current list of problems.

-Speaking of which, Don is trying hard to fit in/enjoy his second chance at "happiness". Essentially, he lets nothing (work, kids, Megan) stand in the way of him achieving this goal. And we can see this. Instead of Don Draper spouting philosophy at clients or delivering the next great ad campaign, we see a newlywed husband desperately trying to preserve control over his life. He's less cool-headed and more Dick Whitman-like.

-Pryce-Campbell showdown and Roger LSD scenes are TV gold. Definitely a different flow this season.

-Lots of weird sexual encounters/deviancies this season.

-Loved Ken's short story regarding Pete at the end of episode 5. I'm glad to see more characters become rounded-out.

-Also was good to see the women characters play more assertive roles and not just in some cheap rhetoric way either.

-I like Ginsberg. A mix of Ginsberg+Draper/Whitman is how I act in real life.

Last edited by Joshumitsu : 04-24-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #247
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
Just caught up with the season:

-There's a different flow this season. This could be due to new writers or a budget change. Irregardless, I think it fits well with Don's current list of problems.

-Speaking of which, Don is trying hard to fit in/enjoy his second chance at "happiness". Essentially, he lets nothing (work, kids, Megan) stand in the way of him achieving this goal. And we can see this. Instead of Don Draper spouting philosophy at clients or delivering the next great ad campaign, we see a newlywed husband desperately trying to preserve control over his life. He's less cool-headed and more Dick Whitman-like.

-Pryce-Campbell showdown and Roger LSD scenes are TV gold. Definitely a different flow this season.

-Lots of weird sexual encounters/deviancies this season.

-Loved Ken's short story regarding Pete at the end of episode 5. I'm glad to see more characters become rounded-out.

-Also was good to see the women characters play more assertive roles and not just in some cheap rhetoric way either.

-I like Ginsberg. A mix of Ginsberg+Draper/Whitman is how I act in real life.

I think the show moving through the 70's has a lot to do with the different feel to the show. As mentioned earlier, there really is a changing of the guard taking place not only at SCDP but in society in general (for example, the first season Don and Roger joke about hiring a Jew and now Ginsberg is part of creative).

I agree about the women being more assertive (of all the characters, Joan probably has the most balls of all of them ) but as seen with Peggy crashing and burning while trying to emulate Don, equality is still a ways off.

Ginsberg is really refreshing, it's nice in general to see the new faces (Megan, Dawn, etc) starting out and it reminds you how much the established characters (Peggy, Pete, Harry most notably) have changed since they've been introduced.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #248
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

btw, i keep remembering that one bit of dialogue during the lsd scene, when the 'doctor' psychologist or whatever says that acknowledging your neuroses doesn't make them go away... in fact it can make them worse. something along those lines but it stuck with me, probably because i've been thinking along very similar lines lately and can relate. all the dialogue throughout that scene was masterfully done imo, sort of naive enough so you could buy it from the characters while still probing some interesting ideas.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #249
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

...And then they break back Glenn.

Fuc.

But hey, at least, we got more Rogerisms tonight.

Last edited by Joshumitsu : 04-30-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #250
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I hate how they keep putting Sally in these weird sex related scenes. It ****ing awkward.
Also, the creator of Mad Men must have had issues with his parents. Almost every single parent in this show is an ass hole to their kids with few redeemable qualities.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #251
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #252
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

She's hot and all but her teeth bug the hell outta me. I can't get past them.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #253
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
She's hot and all but her teeth bug the hell outta me. I can't get past them.
The original gif is longer.. cant seem to find it. And yeah, I definitely agree the teeth are boner killing.. Id need to find the equivalent for bag over the head.. Id do the hand clamped over the mouth..lol

To entirely kill the fantazy for ya... Heres her without makeup...

Last edited by ZeN : 05-09-2012 at 12:35 PM.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #254
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Betty is such a petty little bitch. Wow.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #255
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Betty is such a petty little bitch. Wow.
most of the characters this episode were. Betty definitely was, Sally was being a little brat. Don was a douche to Ginsberg, and well Roger was Roger

Last edited by Black Joker : 05-13-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: